Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:05 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
One of the last people you'd expect to have an American ancestor (who doesn't live in the USA) is Queen Eliabeth II. Her 6th great grandfather was Rev. Robert Porteus who was born in 1705 in Virginia He moved back to England with his family around 1720. He got an BA and an MA from Peterhouse, Cambridge and became a clergyman.

When Robert was age 27, a second cousin of his, George Washington was born. So Queen Elizabeth is a 2nd cousin (7 generations removed) of George Washington. She is also a 4th cousin to General Robert E. Lee.

Queen Elizabeth's ancestor who emigrated was Col. Augustine Warner Sr. who at the age of 18 under the reign of Charles I of England came to America (1628).
The Queen is British... I did expect that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I tried finding genealogy stuff online in Spanish to trace my Hispanic side and see how long all branches, except 1, lived in Puerto Rico. The furthest I managed to trace was the early 1800s, when James Madison was still alive; so AFAIK, my family has been in North America longer than most Americans' families have.

Needless to say, genealogy stuff in Spanish is significantly harder to come by than English sources. Genealogy must be more of an Anglo-Saxon pastime
I didn't know Puerto Rico was ON North America.

Its in the Carribean.

Oh wait it looks like I have more American family than you.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not ancestors, but my cousin lives and works in Seattle (he works for Microsoft actually). He's from Singapore.

Actually I suppose I might have ancestors or distant relatives who went to the States...
Well if they did not immigrate recently probably not.

Most of the migrants were from Ireland, Germany and UK right back to 1600.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Why not? History is history.

Canadians and Americans roots are scattered across the borders, especially in the Great Lakes region. I think the majority of people I know have ties to both sides of the border, and yeah, they go back over 200 years.
Because its not really blood. Its far far away.

My relatives are now third cousins.
I think any further than 1900 is not worth talking about. I have ones who went in 1800 but I don't care.

I just remembered that on my grannies family three of her aunts and uncles moved to Pennsylvania aswell!

So I have two lots of GG Uncles out there. We don't know anything about them though. I haven't really looked into it tbh. I must look this weekend.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:56 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Because its not really blood. Its far far away.

My relatives are now third cousins.
I think any further than 1900 is not worth talking about. I have ones who went in 1800 but I don't care.

I just remembered that on my grannies family three of her aunts and uncles moved to Pennsylvania aswell!

So I have two lots of GG Uncles out there. We don't know anything about them though. I haven't really looked into it tbh. I must look this weekend.
To each their own, but...why not? I mean, you never know what you'll dig up, or find out who you're related to. I just think it would be an interesting thing to learn.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Some Americans are seriously into genealogy. I don't know if it is popular in other nations.
Genealogy is popular here in Australia and I even have a relative that is seriously into it.

I don't have any close relatives that have moved to America yet have heard a few distant relatives move over there.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:55 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well if they did not immigrate recently probably not.

Most of the migrants were from Ireland, Germany and UK right back to 1600.
Well my ancestors come from a part of China where many emigrated, so it's not too unlikely some might have gone over during say the Gold Rush years.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:56 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Genealogy is popular here in Australia and I even have a relative that is seriously into it.

I don't have any close relatives that have moved to America yet have heard a few distant relatives move over there.
It's because we're a new world country, and people have diverse, often varied backgrounds. It's not like Italy where your ancestors were mostly Italian going way back.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
To each their own, but...why not? I mean, you never know what you'll dig up, or find out who you're related to. I just think it would be an interesting thing to learn.
Well i'm not from America and I don't really know these people so why bother.
Plus its hard to trace to present people. I don't even know where to begin.. I mean I know one left on my parental side and we are in contact with them but i'm not really sure about my grannies family. I don't know when they left and what boat they took... So its hard

Last edited by Mac15; 05-02-2014 at 03:45 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

I've traced my family to 1700.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World