Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More well known/influential worldwide are the...
Canucks 12 20.34%
Aussies 35 59.32%
Both equally. 12 20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The world lumps them together because there is really precious little to distinguish the average Canadian from the average American. Just really dorky stereotypes like saying 'eh' and 'aboat' etc. Whether you like it or not, the world doesn't see Canadians as particularly distinct. Canadians are so insecure about being mistaken for American they have to constantly remind people how different they are...
Well I guess one person from Australia is the voice of the world

Having a bad day? Sometimes there is the intelligent and thoughtful Postman and at other times there is the Mac15 Postman.. As for the insecurity quip.. I don't really think you are subject matter expert on Canadian affairs or its people... at all. We aren't insecure being mistaken for Americans, we correct the fact that boneheads lump us together when they shouldn't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:51 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The world lumps them together because there is really precious little to distinguish the average Canadian from the average American. Just really dorky stereotypes like saying 'eh' and 'aboat' etc. Whether you like it or not, the world doesn't see Canadians as particularly distinct. Canadians are so insecure about being mistaken for American they have to constantly remind people how different they are...

Yeah, well, let's park Australia next to this behemoth, and see if Australians don't do the exact same thing, eh?

Old 05-10-2014, 06:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Australia, the whole world knows about kangaroos and Crocodile Dundee

Old 05-10-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Australia, the whole world knows about kangaroos and Crocodile Dundee
Yeah - who knows about Celine Dion, Justin Beiber, Bryan Adams, Neil Young, Pamela Anderson, Drake, James Cameron, Michael Buble, Jim Carrey, Avril Lavigne, Nelly Furtado, Sarah McLachlan, Alanis Morisette, Captain Kirk and the list goes on... When was the last time Paul Hogan did anything anyways that wasn't from the 80's lol... Sure Australia has the cute Kangaroo but in my estimation a Polar Bear would woop its a***

Last edited by fusion2; 05-10-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 06:18 PM

Some of our 'friends' from Australia are quite keen on Canadian produced TV shows...

Canadian children's shows

Old 05-10-2014, 06:18 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah - who knows about Celine Dion, Justin Beiber, Bryan Adams, Neil Young, Pamela Anderson, Drake, James Cameron, Jim Carrey, Avril Lavigne, Nelly Furtado, Sarah McLachlan, Alanis Morisette, Captain Kirk and the list goes on... When was the last time Paul Hogan did anything anyways that wasn't from the 80's lol...
Thing is, while those people are Canadian, they're not necessarily associated with Canada themselves. Crocodile Dundee and Stewe Irwin did stereotypically Australian things (hunt deadly Australian animals) so they are associated with Australia. Maybe if Drake and Jim Carrey did more things with maple syrup and free healthcare, they'd be recognized more as Canadian

Old 05-10-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Thing is, while those people are Canadian, they're not necessarily associated with Canada themselves. Crocodile Dundee and Stewe Irwin did stereotypically Australian things (hunt deadly Australian animals) so they are associated with Australia. Maybe if Drake and Jim Carrey did more things with maple syrup and free healthcare, they'd be recognized more as Canadian
You're missing the point - They ARE Canadian lol... whether they are associated with Canada is really irrelevant. There are many American musicians and actors who aren't 'associated' with the U.S but are American. I get what you're saying but at the end of the day its nonsensical to dismiss famous Canadian artists just because people don't associate... People should associate - they were born and raised in Canada and in many cases either still live in the country or like most rich people live in several places. I mean Steve Irwin is dead and Paul Hogan might as well be... I mean in 2014 the Toronto International Film Festival has got to be more relevant than Crocodile Dundee

Old 05-10-2014, 06:38 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Well I guess one person from Australia is the voice of the world

Having a bad day? Sometimes there is the intelligent and thoughtful Postman and at other times there is the Mac15 Postman.. As for the insecurity quip.. I don't really think you are subject matter expert on Canadian affairs or its people... at all. We aren't insecure being mistaken for Americans, we correct the fact that boneheads lump us together when they shouldn't!
Okay I got a wee bit carried away, but I think most of what I said is what I've observed. I haven't been to Canada but I've met Canadians, have Canadian friends who now live here who have told me things. I don't have anything against Canada, but when it comes to Australia vs Canada I just have to tell it like it is. I would say sure, correcting is one thing, but I've heard Canadians are often very anti-American and really resent the fact the world often lumps them together.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah - who knows about Celine Dion, Justin Beiber, Bryan Adams, Neil Young, Pamela Anderson, Drake, James Cameron, Michael Buble, Jim Carrey, Avril Lavigne, Nelly Furtado, Sarah McLachlan, Alanis Morisette, Captain Kirk and the list goes on... When was the last time Paul Hogan did anything anyways that wasn't from the 80's lol... Sure Australia has the cute Kangaroo but in my estimation a Polar Bear would woop its a***
Lol, who's being immature now? ...btw, you shouldn't be proud of about half those people in the list. I notice when it comes to Bieber Canadians are all too happy to let America 'have him.'

If you whittle Australia culture down to Paul Hogan, I could whittle Canadian culture down to one individual as well...

Old 05-10-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
You're missing the point - They ARE Canadian lol... whether they are associated with Canada is really irrelevant. There are many American musicians and actors who aren't 'associated' with the U.S but are American. I get what you're saying but at the end of the day its nonsensical to dismiss famous Canadian artists just because people don't associate... People should associate - they were born and raised in Canada and in many cases either still live in the country or like most rich people live in several places. I mean Steve Irwin is dead and Paul Hogan might as well be... I mean in 2014 the Toronto International Film Festival has got to be more relevant than Crocodile Dundee
Well yes, but a lot of them got their start in the US and were products of the American entertainment industry, so I'd count that more as American cultural influence. I mean no one watches Jim Carrey or Mike Meyers movies and thinks it's Canadian influence just because the main actor was born in Canada. But yeah, I guess you can claim them as famous people. BTW Australia has produced a ton of famous artists, actors.etc without the benefit of being right next to big old America. Just look at how many Aussie actors have been and are in Hollywood now. But yes, that too is mostly American cultural influence anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World