Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:32 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,826,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Interesting take, but sadly people here in the UK don't think like that its just the "immigrants" so in reality a immigrant Nigerian or Pakistani has all the rights to being here.

Maybe that's a good argument against the racist political party BNP and UKIP.

Sad that these countries cant spread the wealth to the countries they took advantage of even to this day.
Yes...While of course I understand the English don't want to see immigrants outnumbering their own, they should be more mindful of some of the historical causes of why so many want to immigrate there in the first place. If things are good in one's home country one does not normally want to uproot and move somewhere foreign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,902,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well if it offers them a better quality of life, and they're willing to uproot (at least for awhile), sounds fair enough, especially after what the colonial powers did to them. Much of the reason of why Britain etc is so wealthy today is from resources like sugar from the colonies. If you look at it that way, the immigrants are merely reaping the wealth the Brits got from them. Slaves too.
But the African Carribeans are actually established here, they are British they are not immigrants.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Interesting take, but sadly people here in the UK don't think like that its just the "immigrants" so in reality a immigrant Nigerian or Pakistani has all the rights to being here.

Maybe that's a good argument against the racist political party BNP and UKIP.

Sad that these countries cant spread the wealth to the countries they took advantage of even to this day.
The UK gives out enough money thanks very much. We should be caring for our own people in this DIFFICULT ECONOMIC TIME!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
I've really only ever heard "pilgrimage" used here in Aus in the context of visiting sites that are significant in terms of Australia's military history, like Gallipoli, Long Tan or Kokoda.

Anzac Day: Young Australians take pilgrimage to Gallipoli - WWI Centenary - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

A place called Long Tan with meaning for all - theage.com.au
British people don't really care about Australia to be honest so I don't know why you keep trying to make the point that Australia is different to the UK. We don't care.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:55 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,511,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
British people don't really care about Australia to be honest so I don't know why you keep trying to make the point that Australia is different to the UK. We don't care.
If you don't care about Australia why do you keep making posts about about Australia, when it's very clear you know absolutely nothing about it?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-19-2014 at 07:40 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
But the African Carribeans are actually established here, they are British they are not immigrants.
That's the most uncharacteristic thing you've ever said.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,587,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well we maintained stronger ties to the 'Mother Country.' As late as the 1970s, a lot of newsreader's put on wannabe British accents, British migration remains strong...in Perth it's as common to have a British grandparent as an Australian one, so the links aren't purely historical. It's precisely because of the pervasive influence of British that we feel more of a need to assert our own identity. Sort of like how Canadians want to distinguish themselves from the US, Australians for a long time tried hard to create our own identity, because for a long time we were thought of merely as a colony of Britain. From our bush poetry, indigenous culture, stereotypes like Croc Dundee etc.

I read these two parts as contradictory. How is referring to the UK as the Mother Country, and calling your trips there a pilgrimage, asserting your own identity? It sounds more like the child not ready to leave it's mother.

I haven't been to Australia but I do know Australians, and one thing that I never felt from them was any sort of extra energy needed to assert their identity. I thinks it's pretty well set.

The Australians I know that have visited or even lived in the UK did it for the same reasons Canadians do, and that is because of the UK's history…some looking for family connections etc.
I guess it's the word pilgrimage and it's religious connotations which indicate some reverence to the place.

Pilgrimage, as one poster noted, is more appropriate for one visiting war memorial sites and cemeteries.

Distance could have something to do with it. The people I know in Canada who have relatives, or heritage from the UK ( like myself ) travel there easily. Longest flight from Canada is 8.5 or 9 hours from Vancouver, shorter from Toronto at 7.5 hours or 6.15 hours from Halifax.
Many go several times in their life, some I know go every 2 years if they have family, many go more often, especially in winter when fares are lower.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:39 PM

Its a 4 hour flight from st johns

Old 05-19-2014, 01:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,743,315 times
Quote:
Huh? My post was in relation to Australians' sense of "pilgrimage".

Whether that is different than that held by Brits, Americans, Kiwis or whoever is beside the point.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
[/color]

I read these two parts as contradictory. How is referring to the UK as the Mother Country, and calling your trips there a pilgrimage, asserting your own identity? It sounds more like the child not ready to leave it's mother.

I haven't been to Australia but I do know Australians, and one thing that I never felt from them was any sort of extra energy needed to assert their identity. I thinks it's pretty well set.

The Australians I know that have visited or even lived in the UK did it for the same reasons Canadians do, and that is because of the UK's history…some looking for family connections etc.
I guess it's the word pilgrimage and it's religious connotations which indicate some reverence to the place.

Pilgrimage, as one poster noted, is more appropriate for one visiting war memorial sites and cemeteries.

Distance could have something to do with it. The people I know in Canada who have relatives, or heritage from the UK ( like myself ) travel there easily. Longest flight from Canada is 8.5 or 9 hours from Vancouver, shorter from Toronto at 7.5 hours or 6.15 hours from Halifax.
Many go several times in their life, some I know go every 2 years if they have family, many go more often, especially in winter when fares are lower.
Well I was talking about two different things. You referred to the fact that we seem more concerned about becoming a Republic than the UK (even though most people actually don't care that much, it doesn't really effect our lives, but it seems to be more in our consciousness than in Canada). I compared it to the US and Canada, and the historical differences. Now we might have a distinct identity, and while we still had one in say the 1950s, the link with Britain was very strong, as I have pointed out, which is a large reason why many Australians feel the need to make the 'pilgrimage.' I say pilgrimage because it's different to visiting any other country. It's something a lot of young Aussies just 'did', if you know what I mean. You can quibble about definitions...pilgrimage, 'rite of passage', whatever, but I think you get my drift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World