Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:07 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Is India the Rape Capital of the World? | MORE Magazine

According to this web article, one woman is raped in US every 6 mins.

Worst than India which is one rape every 20 mins
You're not going to get raped here if you visit. You have any idea how many single, traveling alone, female Asians come here for visits and student visas and nothing happens to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:33 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,805,277 times
well, there's certainly a high rape rate in sweden (muslims mainly), BUT you have to take into account that there's a much much wider legal definition of "rape" here. minor sexual offenses are considered "rape" too. so you can't compare these numbers straight off.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:49 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
just curious you are from australia how come you know so much about sweden?
I read information on different topics. I've lived most of my life in Australia but I was born in Ireland so I have an interest in Europe and the world in general. Australia also has people from many different countries so it makes me interested in their countries as well.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Obviously I can't force women to feel comfortable travelling abroad, but even in places with the worst reputations (barring African nations, of which I know nothing about), I would be more worried about getting a heart attack that entire year. Even if 200 foreign women are raped somewhere in one year...What is that diluted in to hundreds of thousands of female foreigners? Not much.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Whatever it does not hide the fact that some countries do have more rape cases than others...

The statistics may not tell a comprehensive story, but does give a good feel as to where woman are victimised more..
On the contrary, any country that reports a high incidence of rape is probably actually just reporting rape prosecutions, which means they at least arrest people for it, which might make for a safer country, not a more dangerous one.

You still have no way of using the official published statistics to draw any conclusions about whether the practice is widespread or not. Similarly, "number of people in prison" is not a reliable indicator of the incidence of creme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Obviously I can't force women to feel comfortable travelling abroad, but even in places with the worst reputations (barring African nations, of which I know nothing about), I would be more worried about getting a heart attack that entire year. Even if 200 foreign women are raped somewhere in one year...What is that diluted in to hundreds of thousands of female foreigners? Not much.
If the OP was intended to reflect which countries are dangerous for foreign traveling women, it would have said so.

For what it's worth, my wife (in her 20s) and I lived in the Middle east for two years, traveling to eight Mid-east countries, and then traveled overland through 30 African countries for the next year, on local buses and staying in African style hotels, and she did not experience one single threatening incident, and no more inappropriate comments than would have been expected in any American night out on the town, or walking past an American construction site. She only felt scared once, in Nairobi when we accidentally wandered into the wrong part of town after dark, but nothing happened. My wife worked in a hospital and none of her foreign co-worked had ever had any problems , either.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-22-2014 at 03:14 PM..

Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yeah I've heard of the rapes in Sweden,I was so shocked when I first learnt that places like Sweden and Norway actually have violent crimes.

And the US is by no means more dangerous than India.
There are violent crimes everywhere.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:01 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
On a more serious note, as a woman would you feel more comfortable walking alone in India or the United States at night?

You can go by crime rates all you want, but the fact of the matter is.. it's still safer to be in the US. Things don't get reported in India, and when they do they are often unpunished or covered up. Their justice system is a mess.
I'd feel less safe in India in general for other reasons...albeit I'm not a woman, but if I were, being harassed, scammed, traffic, disease are obviously factors you've overlooked.

Did you know that 5 people a DAY die on the Mumbai train system on average? That's right, so common it doesn't make the news. If one person a month died on the tracks in the NY subway it'd be big news.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'd feel less safe in India in general for other reasons...albeit I'm not a woman, but if I were, being harassed, scammed, traffic, disease are obviously factors you've overlooked.

Did you know that 5 people a DAY die on the Mumbai train system on average? That's right, so common it doesn't make the news. If one person a month died on the tracks in the NY subway it'd be big news.
Well yeah, but this thread is about rape so I didn't bring up the other negatives of India. However, I don't think most people have to worry about being scammed or harassed in India. It's not really a big problem, for the most part Indian people are kind of wimpy and will back down when confronted.

The most dangerous part about Mumbai is definitely how unsanitary everything is. You have to be very careful about what you eat and drink because you don't know if those people are making your pani puri with sewer water or not. Street food is great in Mumbai, but don't eat it unless you're with someone who has spent their life there and knows where to eat it.

The train is not dangerous at all in Mumbai. People don't just randomly die while riding a train there, people die on the tracks because there are thousands of people who live right on the tracks and people who randomly try to cross with trains coming. You're also leaving out the people who jump onto the trains to hitch a free ride or ride on the top or with their heads hanging out.

My biggest issue with India was just their close minded racist culture.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 PM

131 posts, read 168,499 times
Singapore lady, first of all when you have lower developed countries many of them dont even take report the raped data, do you know how large the sex industry is in India? There is a sex industry here in the states too but its extremely small in fact there's one in every country, you need to remember that here in the high schools and colleges across America many people below 18yr old has relationships with people above 18yr olds, heck in high school I knew many girls and guys over 18yrs old dating 15yr olds. This is treated as rape when technically it isn't. See what I mean?

Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 PM

131 posts, read 168,499 times
Over 13 million are sex slaves in India, most aren't even reported, here in the States its estimated to be about 9,000. Still its bad but no where near India. But then you have to wonder if the USA is really worse when it comes to rape than India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World