Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,112,318 times

Advertisements

On a subjective level, what do you feel are the 10 most 'international feeling' cities in the world? Some criteria to consider:

No. of international passenger arrivals AND diversity of the visitor's country of origin

How many visitors you see in the CBD as a percentage of residents/workers

How many ethnic type restaurants you see in the CBD

How many ethnic enclaves are found OUTSIDE the CBD and inner suburbs

How well connected the city is to the wider region and the world

The percentage of total residents born in another country

The ethnic and linguistic diversity of the city's inhabitants

How many major international corporations/organisations are headquartered in the city

How many international conventions/colleges.etc are found in the city

Include MAJOR world cities with a population of at least 1 million in the metropolitan area.

My ranking:

1. London
2. Singapore
3. New York
4. Dubai
5. Toronto
6. Sydney
7. Melbourne
8. Auckland
9. San Francisco
10. Montreal

Last edited by Trimac20; 06-06-2012 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: edit: took Paris (still French aside from visitors), and Hong Kong off the list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM

37,233 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
On a subjective level, what do you feel are the 10 most 'international feeling' cities in the world? Some criteria to consider:

No. of international passenger arrivals AND diversity of the visitor's country of origin

How many major international corporations/organisations are headquartered in the city

Include MAJOR world cities with a population of at least 1 million in the metropolitan area.

My ranking:

1. London
2. Singapore
3. New York
4. Dubai
5. Toronto
6. Sydney
7. Melbourne
8. Auckland
9. Hong Kong
10. Paris
This list needs a lot more US cities. In a lot of respects, US cities aren't too hot, but if you're talking about diversity, international colleges, and corporate headquarters, then the US cities are generally near the top given its diversity and huge population. Los Angeles is definitely one city that's not on your list, but should be. There's also the Bay Area if it's counted as a metro--there are probably another half dozen or so cities from the US that can be argued (DC area, Houston, Miami, Chicago, Boston, Dallas/Fort Worth). Sao Paolo is also a city that is curiously absent from your list despite its massive size, diversity and hosting of several large Brazilian corporations. Brussels is a smaller city that might make it on the list as the capital city of a bilingual country, the capital of the EU with large government and affiliated services based there, and as a host to a large number of international organizations such as NATO, and a diverse immigrant and descendant of immigrant population.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-06-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This list needs a lot more US cities. In a lot of respects, US cities aren't too hot, but if you're talking about diversity, international colleges, and corporate headquarters, then the US cities are generally near the top given its diversity and huge population. Los Angeles is definitely one city that's not on your list, but should be. There's also the Bay Area if it's counted as a metro--there are probably another half dozen or so cities from the US that can be argued (DC area, Houston, Miami, Chicago, Boston, Dallas/Fort Worth). Sao Paolo is also a city that is curiously absent from your list.

Actually I'm going to revise this and take HK off the list. It scores well in most scores except demographically it is firmly Cantonese/Chinese.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
Not sure why Auckland is on the list.

Montreal is probably pushing the list but not quite top 10. Paris deserves to be there more than Montreal.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure why Auckland is on the list.

Montreal is probably pushing the list but not quite top 10. Paris deserves to be there more than Montreal.
How do the cities compare in ethnicities as a percentage of total population?

You're probably right, though.

I just think of Paris as still being very French and not as English-friendly.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 AM

492 posts, read 1,009,808 times
Quote:

My ranking:

1. London
2. Singapore
3. New York
4. Dubai
5. Toronto
6. Sydney
7. Melbourne
8. Auckland
9. San Francisco
10. Montreal
Singapore is actually not terribly diverse. Most of its residents are either Chinese or Malay, and Singapore has a VERY strict immigration process.

I am also confused as to why this list is brimming with cities in Oceania....?

As someone said earlier, the absence of São Paolo confuses me, as well as the absence of Paris, Amsterdam, and more US cities.

My list (in no particular order):

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. São Paolo
4. Paris
5. London
6. Amsterdam
7. Toronto
8. Miami
9. Istanbul
10. Sydney

Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Sydney and Auckland are 37% and 39% born overseas respectively. Downtown Sydney is probably less than half Australian. Many parts of Sydney are more than 50% born overseas, same with Auckland.

The figures for Singapore shocked me. 20 years ago the vast majority of Singaporeans were native born. Now, it's something like 60%!

I highly doubt Sao Paulo is anything like that. I'm guessing it's less than 10% born overseas, and for it's size it's probably the LEAST international of the megacities, even less so than Tokyo, although within Brazil the people are mixed the culture is of course Brazilian not international.

Amsterdam might be well visited but residentially it's very Dutch.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 AM

492 posts, read 1,009,808 times
Over 75% of college students from São Paolo assert that they are descendents of foreign immigrants.

I agreed with you that Sydney is diverse. It's on my list.

Also, I'm not only counting the amount of foreigners in the cities. I'm also counting how international the city is in general. It's visage in the world, its gastronomy, etc. For these reasons I stand by my leaving Auckland out of my list. It simply is NOT on anyone's radar. Certainly not on the level of Amsterdam, what with its numerous intl. conventions, colleges, restaurants, and tourists.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I stand corrected on Singapore. It is quite an international city-state!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Sydney and Auckland are 37% and 39% born overseas respectively. Downtown Sydney is probably less than half Australian. Many parts of Sydney are more than 50% born overseas, same with Auckland.

The figures for Singapore shocked me. 20 years ago the vast majority of Singaporeans were native born. Now, it's something like 60%!

I highly doubt Sao Paulo is anything like that. I'm guessing it's less than 10% born overseas, and for it's size it's probably the LEAST international of the megacities, even less so than Tokyo, although within Brazil the people are mixed the culture is of course Brazilian not international.

Amsterdam might be well visited but residentially it's very Dutch.
Are we talking about the most foreign born cities or the most international cities? It's not necessarily the same thing?

BTW, Amsterdam is close to half foreign-born.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
How do the cities compare in ethnicities as a percentage of total population?

You're probably right, though.

I just think of Paris as still being very French and not as English-friendly.
Paris' population is extremely diverse. Not quite as much as London or NYC but certainly up there. It basically feels like the French incarnation of the other two.

Also, another question: is this a thread about being international or English-friendly? The two are not at all the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World