Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times

Advertisements

Mechanical Engineers who are highly experienced and skilled are in demand. But did you see the comments on that article? A lot of suffering unemployed engineer comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:23 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Mechanical Engineers who are highly experienced and skilled are in demand. But did you see the comments on that article? A lot of suffering unemployed engineer comments.
If you have a hard time in the US, which has a MUCH better job market for engineers.. what makes you think you'll be more marketable in another( 3rd world)country?

Your reasoning is just confusing me, if you aren't wanted or sought after in your own country.. why is a random foreign company going to pay all that money to work out a visa and pay you to come live in their country?

I still can't imagine that you have a hard time finding a job as a mechanical engineer. I studied Aerospace and everyone I knew who graduated (even from Mechanical) found jobs quite easily. I still think you're either not looking hard or doing something wrong.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:51 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
I think I remember that you're a dual-citizen. If you were born to at least one parent who was a Filipino citizen at the time of birth, then you were born a dual-citizen of the Philippines and the US. You just have to officially declare it with the Philippine consulate that serves over where you were born. So if that applies to you, then you could work there without a work visa.

I think $550-650 is enough to have a good life, considering that you dont have to pay rent and utilities. A job would just be extra money and something to do

But like I said, you will hate it if you're not very outgoing.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:47 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
I'm not a dual citizen.

My BSME was Dec 1992. Since then I've only had 5.79 years total experience doing CAD, some engineering, and technical writing. I've suffered long term unemployment in this bad economy, and I have to put a lie on my resume that I did freelance work since 2009. But if they do income verification it shows no income since 2009.

I just wouldn't work while living in the Philippines. If I do remote work it'll be less than $770 / month, so it wouldn't trigger a trial work period month.

The US Job market isn't good for a lot of engineers.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Didn't you say in another thread that you turned down jobs because they wouldn't pay you ~5K more than they were originally offering? That means you're turning down opportunities, so it's not fair for you to just start blaming the economy when you're actually just picking and choosing. What is an extra 5K over the course of 12 months anyways? Seems way better than just living off SSDI.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I'm wondering how you quality for SSDI? The "D" stands for Disability, which means you cannot work for reasons of physical disability. An explanation would be in order, since you are depending on this for your living income in the Philippines.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:37 AM

37,154 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Do it. It sounds like you've been in a rut for a long time. It's not that bad of an economy--especially not bad enough for a BSME to have a total of 5.79 years of total experience when a lot of the time between '92 and '08 were pretty much boom years with a small slump in the middle. The economy has also been pretty alright for college-educated, especially in STEMs fields for the last few years.

It doesn't make much sense to push this on a bad economy. So get out of the rut and do something different.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Didn't you say in another thread that you turned down jobs because they wouldn't pay you ~5K more than they were originally offering? That means you're turning down opportunities, so it's not fair for you to just start blaming the economy when you're actually just picking and choosing. What is an extra 5K over the course of 12 months anyways? Seems way better than just living off SSDI.
He hasn't worked since last decade. There really isn't a question, his odds of being employed now in the US are far, far worse than when he opted for SSDI finding the 5k salary wish gap issues you mentioned. The bed has been made, time to sleep in it. The Philippines, from what he has written, has a low enough COL to allow for getting by on SSDI.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:54 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Is it possible for a single person to live in the Philippines on less than $1,100 per month

Old 11-17-2014, 01:41 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,011 times
I don't think OP can work as a mechanical engineer in the Philippines. Such profession is incuded in FINL list, a list of profession ONLY for Filipino citizens. I suggest him working in Call Center though.

clb10, yes it is possible. Try to live in an outskirt like part of Rizal, Cavite or Laguna province. You can rent a house as cheap as $200 or even cheaper. Cost of living is also very cheap. Gas is more expensive than the US though. Utilities such as wifi, cable TV is pretty much the same as in the US but the quality is not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World