Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 07:24 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

As a French-speaking Canadian living in ''English Canada'' as a child, my impressions of France where that we would have quite a few things in common with them. That impression was furthered by the fact that our anglo neighbours referred to as as ''the French'' all the time. (Occasionally some would even not-too-nicely suggest we go ''back'' (sic) there, but that's another story...)

As a kid I assumed that many things that were considered ''French'' in Canada like tourtières, sugar pie, etc. would also be common in France, but little did I know they did not exist there at all and were homegrown specialties.

I also thought that as the most French part of Canada, Quebec (where we did not live) was quite similar to France and that visits there gave a taste of what France might be like.

Then as I grew into my teens I entered a phase where I thought French-speaking Canadians (including Québécois) has absolutely nothing in common with France and the French.

It was during this phase that I actually went there for the first time, and expecting to find absolutely nothing familiar or common ground there, was somewhat shocked at what I found: Quebec celebrities on the covers of tabloids at supermarket checkouts in Paris, everyone immediately recognizing my accent as soon as I opened my mouth, frequently being referred to as a ''cousin from overseas" by total strangers, etc.

Obviously it wasn't simply another big Quebec or big French Canada as I expected as a child, but there were way more affinities and commonalities than I would have thought before going there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 08:01 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As a French-speaking Canadian living in ''English Canada'' as a child, my impressions of France where that we would have quite a few things in common with them. That impression was furthered by the fact that our anglo neighbours referred to as as ''the French'' all the time. (Occasionally some would even not-too-nicely suggest we go ''back'' (sic) there, but that's another story...)

As a kid I assumed that many things that were considered ''French'' in Canada like tourtières, sugar pie, etc. would also be common in France, but little did I know they did not exist there at all and were homegrown specialties.

I also thought that as the most French part of Canada, Quebec (where we did not live) was quite similar to France and that visits there gave a taste of what France might be like.

Then as I grew into my teens I entered a phase where I thought French-speaking Canadians (including Québécois) has absolutely nothing in common with France and the French.

It was during this phase that I actually went there for the first time, and expecting to find absolutely nothing familiar or common ground there, was somewhat shocked at what I found: Quebec celebrities on the covers of tabloids at supermarket checkouts in Paris, everyone immediately recognizing my accent as soon as I opened my mouth, frequently being referred to as a ''cousin from overseas" by total strangers, etc.

Obviously it wasn't simply another big Quebec or big French Canada as I expected as a child, but there were way more affinities and commonalities than I would have thought before going there.
Wow, interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:11 AM

Regarding the UK...

Having gone to English language schools in the more anglo parts of eastern Canada, also gave me childhood impressions of what the UK might be like.

Even though our lives and culture were much more (North) American in most respects, there was a residual reverence for Britain that was very apparent, and an affection for those British things that Canadians did retain. (Thought not a majority, a good number of my classmates had parents or at least grandparents born in the UK, and it was not uncommon to hear British accents occasionally.)

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say ''there is no finer lady'' in reference to Queen Elizabeth...

Not having travelled extensively to places like New England as a child, I fully expected that Canadian towns and cities were more British in appearance than American ones were. Not exactly the same of course, but I expected a decent number of similarities.

I also expected that, reciprocally, people in the UK to have a special affinity and interest in Canada, as of course we were the ''good guys'' who had sided with Britain in 1776, still had the Queen and were members of the Commonwealth.

Later in life, when I ended up visiting the UK for the first time I was a bit taken aback at how indifferent people there were to Canada. People were very nice and had positive (if superficial) views of Canada, but it was clear that their focus was on the US and also Australia. 98% of the time, Canada was of interest only inasmuch as many aspects of it were ancillary to stuff in the States.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:32 AM

Still with the UK...

As a child if someone would have talked to me about chavs I probably would not have believed them that these types of people actually existed in Britain.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:40 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Alot of people around world have a very distorted view of the UK, Britain isn't all gentlemen with top hats...

Old 07-04-2014, 08:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Alot of people around world have a very distorted view of the UK, Britain isn't all gentlemen with top hats...
I think we know that - we're talking about childhood impressions as you requested in your OP. The US isn't all gun toting Honey BooBoos and race riots either, or in your own words, a "giant ghetto-crime ridden city."

Children (and many adults) have notoriously ridiculous misconceptions about foreign countries. I think the vignettes being described are pretty funny! At least KIDS have an excuse for being ignorant!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:50 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
I still can't figure out why, but when I was a small kid I used to think that Italians were Black.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think we know that - we're talking about childhood impressions as you requested in your OP. The US isn't all gun toting Honey BooBoos and race riots either, or in your own words, a "giant ghetto-crime ridden city."

Children (and many adults) have notoriously ridiculous misconceptions about foreign countries. I think the vignettes being described are pretty funny! At least KIDS have an excuse for being ignorant!
Yeah I know, but I get the impression that some people from the New world like to stay ignorant about their view of "good old England"

Staying with the US I thought they were at war for some reason.

I thought China was all villages or something.

Australia, all desert with one small seaside town.

I thought Indian people were Muslims also.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:17 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
(Any country in) Africa: Jungle, Grassland, tribesmen, poachers

Australia: Crocodile Dundee types, desert

Canada: lots of snow, red coated officers on horses, wolves, sled races

China: Chopsticks, rice, dragons

England: Pub dwellers that spend much of their time drinking beer; tea drinking ladies with good manners

France: berets and romantic gentlemen, escargot, well dressed ladies

Germany: beer drinking aggressive types

Greece: Statues, olive oil, lamb, Zeus,

Greenland: Green, Vikings.

Holland: Clogs, Cheese

Iceland: Icebergs, Vikings.

India: Palaces with curved rooftops

Ireland: Lots of green and clovers, Leprechauns

Italy: Pasta, passion and wine, romantic

Jamaica: Reggae, nice beaches, palm trees, coconut

Japan: See "China" with the addition of raw fish

Mexico: Sombreros, ponchos, dark hair, chiles, cacti

New Zealand: Green, Tropics

Russia: Snow, fur hats, the cancan.

Scotland: Redheaded men with kilts and thick accents

(Any country in) South America: tropical, women with fruit baskets on their heads

Spain: Romantic and passionate; lots of red

Sweden: Blonde/blond blue-eyed people

United States of America: Patriots, Yankees (not the teams), NYC skyscrapers, Texas Ranches, Florida Beaches, California Surfers, Midwestern Farms, Rocky Mountains, New England Farms, Southern Plantations

Old 07-04-2014, 10:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yeah I know, but I get the impression that some people from the New world like to stay ignorant about their view of "good old England"

Staying with the US I thought they were at war for some reason.

I thought China was all villages or something.

Australia, all desert with one small seaside town.

I thought Indian people were Muslims also.
Would you say that "some people from the Old World would like to stay ignorant about their view of the US?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World