Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 PM

313 posts, read 531,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm going to ignore the whole what should Americans be called issue as that's been beaten to death around here.

However, I do agree that the name of the USA is more of a description than a name. Most countries, especially those in Europe are a combination of political and ethnic identity. The USA is an entirely politcal concept as there is no American ethnicity so to speak, at least not officially. American is a nationality only. Even in places like Mexico, the term "Mexican" has a meaning deeper than just nationality and even Mexican-Americans often just say that they're Mexican in that context. In the US, your nationality is American then you may identify with whatever ethnic group that is recognized (or even unrecognized) by the US census. Even most of the ethnicities in the US have rather generic names; White-American, Black American etc (Yes these are racial but also ethnic in the USA). I have to wonder, had the USA been born one or two centuries earlier and developed when people were more into ethnic and regional identification of there would at least be regional identities that would have taken root more strongly. Maybe the terms Texans, Californians, Yankies, Dixies and Cascadians would have distinct meanings today. Of course if that happened there may not be a USA but it's just a thought.
I think if they had mixed more with native Americans and taken up more of their culture so it was more of a blend like Mexico or Peru, one could argue that an American 'ethnicity' exists. Australia is similar. Our culture is mostly British and is defined by it's immigrants. Very few Australians have any aboriginal ancestry. Our name, of course, derives from 'Terra Australis', 'Great Southern Land' in Latin, which is more a geographical concept. The Southern cross, visible in the southern sky, is the thing that distinguishes us. Add the big star for the states, and the Union Jack, and that sums up our identity pretty well. The UK is always in the background.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
See how Americans are so defensive. Lol

Yes, its pathetic that the country in middle North America doesn't have a unique name to describe its place in North America. The United States of America needs to change its name maybe to something that represents the whole country like Walmartland?
Yeah I guess Americans do seem to get a lot of flack, but part of it is because many do seem arrogant about it. American culture also seems obsessed with winning and being numero uno.

I've heard 'Jesusland' but frankly I don't see much of the Lord in American culture! lol

Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
I think if they had mixed more with native Americans and taken up more of their culture so it was more of a blend like Mexico or Peru, one could argue that an American 'ethnicity' exists. Australia is similar. Our culture is mostly British and is defined by it's immigrants. Very few Australians have any aboriginal ancestry. Our name, of course, derives from 'Terra Australis', 'Great Southern Land' in Latin, which is more a geographical concept. The Southern cross, visible in the southern sky, is the thing that distinguishes us. Add the big star for the states, and the Union Jack, and that sums up our identity pretty well. The UK is always in the background.
oh yeah for sure. The USA may be proud to have never been a monarchy but let me tell you, many Americans have a fascination with the Royal Family. They're on the news here. In fact, most Americans probably know more about the British Royal family than we do about our own congressmen we vote for.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
oh yeah for sure. The USA may be proud to have never been a monarchy but let me tell you, many Americans have a fascination with the Royal Family. They're on the news here. In fact, most Americans probably know more about the British Royal family than we do about our own congressmen we vote for.
Yes but it's nothing comparable to how pervasive the British influence is here. Over 60% of us are of British ancestry, and immigration from the 'mother country' has remained strong our slang, food, language of course, political system, laws, town planning, names.etc - mostly taken straight from Britain. Up until the 1970s most newsreaders emulated BBC presenters. Of course the Queen looks at us from the back of every coin.

People talk about Australian culture, but I ask 'what Australian culture?' Real Australian culture is aboriginal culture. Sure we have a few bush poets, Ned Kelly, lamingtons, but not really much of a 'culture.'

Old 07-31-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
Yes but it's nothing comparable to how pervasive the British influence is here. Over 60% of us are of British ancestry, and immigration from the 'mother country' has remained strong our slang, food, language of course, political system, laws, town planning, names.etc - mostly taken straight from Britain. Up until the 1970s most newsreaders emulated BBC presenters. Of course the Queen looks at us from the back of every coin.

People talk about Australian culture, but I ask 'what Australian culture?' Real Australian culture is aboriginal culture. Sure we have a few bush poets, Ned Kelly, lamingtons, but not really much of a 'culture.'
oh I know the US can't compete with Australia for British influence. As far as European culture, the US actually has a lot more German influence than other former British colonies. German is the largest claimed ancestry group in the US as well.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
United States is the name of the country. Please look it up on a map/globe or look it up in a dictionary or wikipedia.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
United States is the name of the country. Please look it up on a map/globe or look it up in a dictionary or wikipedia.

See...that's what I'm thinking.

To me, it's just the United States. Or...actually, it's just "The States".

I don't know why this is difficult for people.

Why doesn't someone go ask the United Arab Emirates why they don't have a "real" name?

Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
See...that's what I'm thinking.

To me, it's just the United States. Or...actually, it's just "The States".

I don't know why this is difficult for people.

Why doesn't someone go ask the United Arab Emirates why they don't have a "real" name?
Central African republic

Old 07-31-2014, 10:46 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Central African republic

That's crazy talk!!!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:10 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,411,364 times
Think 50 individual countries united into a giant nation if you would really compare and define.
Instead of American you could also hear to referring from states very often representing like "New Yorker" "Californian" "Floridian" "Texan" etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World