Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Roughly similar in size and GDP, BosWash (the Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Boston corridor) has 44 million and the UK 63 million. The GDP of BosWash is $3.2 trillion, the UK is $2.5 trillion, although BosWash is actually just over 2/3 in population.

Which has a bigger economic impact on the world? I'd say BosWash, as well as a bigger political impact.

Which would you rather live in? I guess that's more US vs UK, but I'd say the Northeastern US.

BosWash has more large cities, of course, but the UK has some pretty solid conurbations. Boston to DC is similar in distance Cornwall to Scotland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Lived in both the UK and the BosWash corridor. I currently live in the Corridor and prefer it to the UK.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Currently, BosWash.

Probably a more direct comparison would be the Northeastern US (New England, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) along with Maryland, Delaware, DC, and the parts of West Virginia and Virginia that are part of the DC metro area. That would net you a more comparable population size.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
Then again London to Paris is a similar distance to NYC to Boston and Brussels and other European cities aren't that far from London, so it all depends how you put together economic regions and what is included.

BosWash being very much centred on NYC, and the UK has London at it's financial heart, a city predicted to grow substantially in terms of GDP in the next twenty years and a city which has had to come back from the destruction and devastation of WW2, food and other rationing until the 1950's and bankruptcy to get where it is now. Indeed it has taken over half a century for London to get back to being an international world leader, such was the devastation of WW2 both in terms of the destruction and indeed the financial toll, which also led to the loss of Empire, a loss of much of London's trade and whole swathes of the city around the vast Docklands becoming wastelands.

London and the UK now has a chance to actually consolidate on the economic growth of the last few decades, with the UK is predicted to overtake Germany in terms of GDP by 2030.

As for BosWash it's over four thousand miles from the UK and in a different time zone, so you may as well quote a region from China or Japan that has stronger economic performance than the entire UK and I am sure regions in the Far East will overtake BosWash in terms of economic power the coming decades.

Last edited by Bamford; 04-15-2014 at 05:22 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Then again London to Paris is a similar distance to NYC to Boston and Brussels and other European cities aren't that far from London, so it all depends how you put together economic regions and what is included.

BosWash being very much centred on NYC, and the UK has London at it's financial heart, a city predicted to grow substantially in terms of GDP in the next twenty years and a city which has had to come back from the destruction and devastation of WW2, food and other rationing until the 1950's and bankruptcy to get where it is now. Indeed it has taken over half a century for London to get back to being an international world leader, such was the devastation of WW2 both in terms of the destruction and indeed the financial toll, which also led to the loss of Empire, a loss of much of London's trade and whole swathes of the city around the vast Docklands becoming wastelands.

London and the UK now has a chance to actually consolidate on the economic growth of the last few decades, with the UK is predicted to overtake Germany in terms of GDP by 2030.

As for BosWash it's over four thousand miles from the UK and in a different time zone, so you may as well quote a region from China or Japan that has stronger economic performance than the entire UK and I am sure regions in the Far East will overtake BosWash in terms of economic power the coming decades.
Yes, the GDP of BosWash is higher than the UK, and it's about 2/3rds the population.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, the GDP of BosWash is higher than the UK, and it's about 2/3rds the population.
And the purpose the thread was just to inform us of that fact.

As I have already pointed out Paris is a similar distance from London as Boston is to NYC, i so it all depends on what area you use.

London to Paris in a straight line is around 214 miles, and now takes around 2 hours on the train at a cost of £69 ($115 USD) return, indeed it takes less time to get to Paris or Brussels from London than it does to major cities in England such as Newcastle Upon Tyne (2 hours 50 minutes on the train and over 300 miles away from London) or to Scotland.

Last edited by Bamford; 04-15-2014 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
And the purpose the thread was just to inform us of that fact.

As I have already pointed out Paris is a similar distance from London as Boston is to NYC, i so it all depends on what area you use.

London to Paris in a straight line is around 214 miles, and takes 2 hours on a train, indeed it takes less time to get to Paris from London than it does to cities such as Newcastle Upon Tyne in England on the train, or Scotland or NI.
Well it's a comparison of BosWash and the UK. If I wanted to include Paris I would have.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well it's a comparison of BosWash and the UK. If I wanted to include Paris I would have.
I was merely pointing out that unlike NYC, London has a lot of other major cities right on it's doorstep which aren't included if you just use the UK.

As for the thread, yes BosWash has a bigger GDP than the UK at the present time and indeed a smaller population of 50 million, so that's the end of the thread then.

Megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blue Banana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northeast megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Britain 'will become biggest economy in Europe' - Telegraph

Britain 'will be Europe's top economy by 2030' | Business | The Guardian

BBC News - UK could be Europe's 'largest' economy by 2030

Last edited by Bamford; 04-15-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I was merely pointing out that unlike NYC, London has a lot of other major cities right on it's doorstep which aren't included if you just use the UK.

As for the thread, yes BosWash has a bigger GDP than the UK at the present time and indeed a smaller population of 50 million, so that's the end of the thread then.

Megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blue Banana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northeast megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes I am aware of how close those cities are, but again, I just wanted to compare the UK with BosWash.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 AM

As for the UK Economy it's predicted to enjoy significant growth in the future, however the most rapid growth is set to be in the Far East rather than the UK or US.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World