Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best or nicest looking writing System?
Greek 14 14.00%
Aramaic 2 2.00%
Arabic 36 36.00%
Latin (most European languages incl. English and some south-east Asian) 27 27.00%
Hebrew 12 12.00%
Indian 10 10.00%
Chinese/Japanese/Korean 21 21.00%
Cyrillic (Russian, Serbian, Ukraine, etc) 12 12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 AM

338 posts, read 335,122 times

Advertisements

Pop Quiz! What determined why Arabic was historically written right to left while the roman alphabet left to right?
Cookie for whoever answers correctly, and maybe for witty answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:07 PM

18 posts, read 15,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Tibetan

tibetan is like the hipster Devanagari

Old 01-07-2015, 08:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Finnish is the most beautiful-looking language that uses the Roman alphabet, using a very limited variety of letters and a lot of umlauts.

Suomi on kaunein näköinen kieltä käyttävät latinalaisia aakkosia, että käyttämällä hyvin vähän erilaisia kirjaimia ja paljon ääkkösiä.

When I was a stamp collector, and hanled lots of corners of envelopes and other posal stationary, I was alwasy amazed at the uniformity of handwriting within a country. I could tell at a glance whether an envelope was addressed by a German, French, English, or whatever nationality. Penmanship was very rigorously taught in the schools a century ago, and all children were forced to write in longhand exactly the same way, in conformity with the way it was taught in their particular country.

I think, without a doubt, the ugliest alphabet is the one recently devised for use in the indigenous languages of theNorth American arctic:

ᐱᒋᐊᕐᖕᓂᕐᖕᒥ ᐅᖃᐅᓯᖅ ᑕᕝᕙᓃᓚᐅᖅᐳᖅ, ᐅᖃᐅᓯᖅᓗ ᒎᑎᒦᑉᐳᖅ, ᐅᖃᐅᓯᖅᓗ ᒎᑎᐅᕗᖅ. ᑖᓐᓇ ᐱᒋᐊᕐᖕᓂᕐᖕᒥᑦ ᒎᑎᒦᑉᐳᖅ; 3ᓱᓇᓕᒫᑦᓯᐊᑦ ᑖᑦᓱᒨᓇ ᐱᓐᖑᖅᑎᑕᐅᓯᒪᕗᑦ; ᑖᑦᓱᒪᓗ ᐊᓯᐊᒍᑦ ᐱᓐᖑᖅᑎᑕᐅᓯᒪᔪᖃᓐᖏᓚᖅ

Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Chinese, hands down. And not the simplified Chinese, but the traditional.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
There is many separate high level communication languages in ultimate human expression. My favorite languages usually have infinite depth in written, and spoken version, and able to involve endless intellectual stimulation, including professional thinking, and high variety entertainment. Tons of those eloquent sophisticated, and magnificent languages exist in Europe, Asia, Americas, Africa, and Oceania.

French, Italian, Spanish, Czech, Malay, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Romanian, Polish, Croatian, Swedish/Norwegian/Danish, English, Russian, Portuguese, Dutch, Finnish, Russian, Turkish, Hindi, Vietnamese, Thai, and Georgian are all wonderful, endlessly interesting prominent languages on Planet Earth.

I believe in written version, Mandarin Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Georgian, Thai, Khmer, Hindi Indian, Arabic, South Slavic far East Slavic Cyrillic (Russian, Bulgarian, Macedonian), and French, Czech, Malay, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Turkish, Croatian, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, English, Polish, and Vietnamese (French-Vietnamese languages said are all ironically in Latin writing system version of communication. Although, they all usually feel extremely different, and separate from each other depending on language combination in reference of official identification) are all especially beautiful, high amount of in depth rhythm, and mystical languages of interest.

Noteworthy Innovative Google Representative samples in some of those languages, in original reference of Google Translator Language Switching Service, 5 for Now, Same Exact Paragraph of Words In Different Languages

French- Il ya beaucoup de langues de communication de haut niveau séparées dans l'expression ultime de l'homme. Mes langues préférés ont généralement une profondeur infinie à l'écrit, et la version parlé, et capable d'impliquer la stimulation intellectuelle sans fin, y compris la pensée professionnelle, et de divertissement de haute gamme. Tonnes de ces langues sophistiqués, et de magnifiques éloquents existent en Europe, Asie, Amériques, Afrique, et en Océanie.

Georgianარსებობსმრავალიცალკეულიმაღალიდონისკომუნიკაციაენებზესაბოლოოადამია
ნის
გამოხატვის.ჩემისაყვარელიენებზე, როგორცწესი,აქვსუსასრულოსიღრმისდაწერილიდანათქვამივერსია,
დაშეუძლიაჩართვაგაუთავებელიინტელექტუალურისტიმულაცია,მათშორისპროფესიული
ზროვნების
დამაღალიმრავალფეროვანიგასართობი.ტონაიმმჭერმეტყველიდახვეწილიდაბრწყინვალეენისარ
სებობდეს
ევროპის, აზიის,ამერიკის, აფრიკისდაოკეანეთის.

Mandarin Chinese 有一個在人類的終極表達很多不同的高層次的溝通語言我最喜歡的語言通常有無限的深度以書面口頭和版本並且能夠參與無休止的智力刺激包括專業的思維和高綜藝娛樂節目在歐洲亞洲美洲非洲和大洋洲存在的那些口若懸河成熟華麗的語言噸

Malay- Terdapat banyak bahasa komunikasi tahap tinggi berasingan dalam ungkapan manusia muktamad. Bahasa kegemaran saya biasanya mempunyai kedalaman tak terhingga dalam ditulis, dan versi yang disebut, dan dapat melibatkan rangsangan intelektual yang tidak berkesudahan, termasuk pemikiran profesional dan pelbagai hiburan yang tinggi. Tan yang fasih bahasa canggih, dan megah wujud.

Czech Tam dispozici je řada samostatných komunikačních vysoké úrovni jazyků v konečném lidského výrazu. Moje oblíbené jazyky obvykle mají nekonečnou hloubku v písemné a mluvené verzi, a mohli zapojit nekonečné intelektuální stimulace, včetně odborného myÅ¡lení a vysoké odrůdy zábavy. Tuny těchto výmluvných sofistikovaných a nádherným jazyky existují v Evropě, Asii, Severní a Jižní Americe, Africe a Oceánii.

Why is the original poster not including Georgian, Thai, and Khmer in available poll options?
The Chinese translation is totally crap.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:30 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
ᐱᒋᐊᕐᖕᓂᕐᖕᒥ ᐅᖃᐅᓯᖅ ᑕᕝᕙᓃᓚᐅᖅᐳᖅ, ᐅᖃᐅᓯᖅᓗ ᒎᑎᒦᑉᐳᖅ, ᐅᖃᐅᓯᖅᓗ ᒎᑎᐅᕗᖅ. ᑖᓐᓇ ᐱᒋᐊᕐᖕᓂᕐᖕᒥᑦ ᒎᑎᒦᑉᐳᖅ; 3ᓱᓇᓕᒫᑦᓯᐊᑦ ᑖᑦᓱᒨᓇ ᐱᓐᖑᖅᑎᑕᐅᓯᒪᕗᑦ; ᑖᑦᓱᒪᓗ ᐊᓯᐊᒍᑦ ᐱᓐᖑᖅᑎᑕᐅᓯᒪᔪᖃᓐᖏᓚᖅ[/b]
I know, yuck. Looks like wingdings. Lol.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:37 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,811 times
Arabic for me, definitely.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:39 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I've always loved how Arabic writing looks but also Hebrew and Cambodian.
I agree with Arabic!

Old 08-14-2016, 08:40 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
And I always thought that this kind of writing looks cool;

Old 08-14-2016, 09:25 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Georgian alphabet is pretty dope IMO:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World