Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:00 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times

Advertisements

For example in the UK and the US on the census we have ethnic minorities and the dominate ethnic group.

Why add the minority at the end, yes of course these groups contain the smaller proportion of the population but in the world at large some of these ethnic minorities are the majority in the world at large.

There's towns in the UK that are called "Minority Majority" WTF! LOL it sounds ridiculous...

And the word "ethnic" the word only seems to be used when talking about non white / European ethnic groups. I hear people say on occasions"I hate ethnic food" and "The ethnics" Are white people of no ethnic group??

Also in Canada and there "visible minority" isn't there another word to describe a WIDE array of cultural - ethno groups?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 01:24 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times
Carinthian/Styrian Slovenes, Burgenland Croats and Burgenland Hungarians are all considered ethnic minorities in Austria and are called that way in official documents. Naturally, all of them are white. We don't really have an equivalent to "ethnic food" and "minority majority" in German, though.

Anyhow, I don't really get the purpose of this thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
bek you will be fired if you say something else.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:32 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,618 times
It could be that a result of massive immigration many have described themselves as (insert country here)-american. IE, Italian-American, Irish-American, etc. On questionaires in the US that ask ethnicity there's a choice of 'White/Not of Hispanic origin', and Prefer not to answer. Seems everyone has got to have an ethnic origin. Apparently feet on the ground isn't enough for some to confirm they're actually humanoids.

It's become ridiculous. Even gender has become a multiple choice questionaire nightmare.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:40 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I know; you can no longer say ******s or jungle monkeys like in the good ol' days. Ain't that a shame?

Old 10-05-2014, 01:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
For example in the UK and the US on the census we have ethnic minorities and the dominate ethnic group.

Why add the minority at the end, yes of course these groups contain the smaller proportion of the population but in the world at large some of these ethnic minorities are the majority in the world at large.

There's towns in the UK that are called "Minority Majority" WTF! LOL it sounds ridiculous...

And the word "ethnic" the word only seems to be used when talking about non white / European ethnic groups. I hear people say on occasions"I hate ethnic food" and "The ethnics" Are white people of no ethnic group??

Also in Canada and there "visible minority" isn't there another word to describe a WIDE array of cultural - ethno groups?!
Well, for your first part, the census in those countries are taken for those countries. Not the world, therefore, they are minorities in the area in which the census is being taken.

For the second point, I agree that minority-majority sounds stupid. the city I live in is a so called "minority-majority city.

For your third point, I also agree that ethnic also includes whites but there are a few reasons I don't care to get into why it's like that.

And visible minority???

Old 10-05-2014, 01:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
I know; you can no longer say ******s or jungle monkeys like in the good ol' days. Ain't that a shame?
Unreal

Old 10-05-2014, 01:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Unreal
its no longer about what is said and done, its about who does it.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:00 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well, for your first part, the census in those countries are taken for those countries. Not the world, therefore, they are minorities in the area in which the census is being taken.

For the second point, I agree that minority-majority sounds stupid. the city I live in is a so called "minority-majority city.

For your third point, I also agree that ethnic also includes whites but there are a few reasons I don't care to get into why it's like that.

And visible minority???
Ohh I know the reason why some whites say stuff like ethnics etc but I'm waiting for someone to mention that...

Anyway yes "visible minority" is a term used to describe not whites and first nation people.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:03 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
People want to know from where they and their ancestors come from, and what their "ethnicity" is. Just as we ask from what city/state you are from if you are recently moved. Like this:

"What's that players' name?"
- Drilon Shala
"Ok, where is he from?"
- Lahti
"Yeah, yeah, but from what country are his roots?"
- Kosovo
"Ok. Decent player."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World