Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,415,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Honestly, you do.

Its funny how you disregarded the majority of my post.

Exactly, by the way its only a certain type of person that I get this indirect racism from its not "All white people everywhere who ever lived" I didn't even say that!!

It tends to be White rich people or snobs.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand!

Its pretty simple.
Exactly. In fact I'd go as far to say that the majority of whites in the US are probably not racist. A lot of unintentional racial ignorance but once they realize how certain things effect certain groups, they stop. The only people here accusing others of racism are those accusing us because they think we're accusing them LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:33 PM

98 posts, read 117,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Exactly. In fact I'd go as far to say that the majority of whites in the US are probably not racist. A lot of unintentional racial ignorance but once they realize how certain things effect certain groups, they stop. The only people here accusing others of racism are those accusing us because they think we're accusing them LOL
In my opinion a large chunk of them have racist and/or prejudice ideals. Of course there are amazing white people! There are white people who risked their lives, and died so that my ancestors and people could be free/equal. I will always be greatful and defend those whites' honor, but a large chunk of whites tarnish and shame those people.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeWine View Post
In my opinion a large chunk of them have racist and/or prejudice ideals. Of course there are amazing white people! There are white people who risked their lives, and died so that my ancestors and people could be free/equal. I will always be greatful and defend those whites' honor, but a large chunk of whites tarnish and shame those people.
Really? I don't really believe that. I think the ones that are just tend to be far more open and vocal about it. I say this because, I am frequently called "the whitest black guy" by people who know me (yeah I know some ignorant f*cks) and most of the people I associate with are white. What I see most often isn't so much racism but racial ignorance and insensitivity.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:52 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,395,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeWine View Post
And there were tons more black people that risked their lives, too.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
And there were tons more black people that risked their lives, too.
This is true too. Many gave their lives.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,081,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Slavery started with civilization with its labor specialization and social stratification. Thus the first slaves were probably residents of the Mesopotamian region where the earliest civilizations emerged. Hunter gatherers and settled horticulturists had no incentive to enslave anyone in their small, interdependent communities.

As civilization spread to places like Europe and developed in places like the far east and Mesoamerica, slavery appeared in those places, too.

In places where races came together, like ancient Rome, slaves from England, Germany, Nubia, and north Africa toiled together. It wasn't until the 16th century that slavery became truly a race based institution.

Hunter gatherers had slaves, Indian Americans that were hunter gatherer had slaves. I don't think that slavery was ever race-based at all, simply economical. Blacks were used for the sole fact that they could work on sugar cane fields while the rest perished.

It was similar to Eastern slaves in Rome, Eastern slaves were used because they were the only ones with technical skills.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Beyond that, so many people have been into slavery (wars, etc...) and we still associate slavery with black only, why ?

I'm sure you can answer this question for yourself, considering...

Of course your right African history is started WAY before slavery.

Rant or passionate?

I don't associate slavery with blacks at all. First thing that comes into my mind is Rome, the elaborate slavery laws, inherited slaves and how they became part of families until it was cheaper to hire labour.

Second, medieval laws and serfdom that were practically slaves, indentured, slavery by debts, religious slaves to serve to different cults.

I guess that many people relate blacks with slavery because Hollywood films since their participation in the history of slavery is just anecdotical....and American uncletomming and "bleedingheartism". They will be talking about black slaves 10.000 years from now.

There were 30.000.000 slaves in Rome during 4 centuries. Most Europeans descend from slaves one way or another.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:48 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,842,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Hunter gatherers had slaves, Indian Americans that were hunter gatherer had slaves. I don't think that slavery was ever race-based at all, simply economical. Blacks were used for the sole fact that they could work on sugar cane fields while the rest perished.

It was similar to Eastern slaves in Rome, Eastern slaves were used because they were the only ones with technical skills.
In the Old World slavery was originally mostly a religious thing apart from economical. For Christians everybody who wasn't was open for slavery, for Muslims everybody who wasn't Muslim was a potential slave.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:56 AM

Christians did not care, there were Christian slaves..
Muslims....according to Islam, there couldn't be any muslim slave..but there were muslim slaves.
The practice was not followed by muslims because it was too easy to become a muslim and cease to be a dimmi or a slave..

Old 10-31-2014, 10:14 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,395,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is true too. Many gave their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I don't associate slavery with blacks at all. First thing that comes into my mind is Rome, the elaborate slavery laws, inherited slaves and how they became part of families until it was cheaper to hire labour.

Second, medieval laws and serfdom that were practically slaves, indentured, slavery by debts, religious slaves to serve to different cults.

I guess that many people relate blacks with slavery because Hollywood films since their participation in the history of slavery is just anecdotical....and American uncletomming and "bleedingheartism". They will be talking about black slaves 10.000 years from now.

There were 30.000.000 slaves in Rome during 4 centuries. Most Europeans descend from slaves one way or another.
Slavery is still going on right now, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World