Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
More like Liberal Americans. They're the only ones who make these kinds of threads. Nobody else cares.
No. All you would have to do is not do the flag pledge, for example, and there is an explosion of conservative wrath. It is an across the spectrum American thing. People always checking each other out for something they can be bothered by. Left or Right, it has become an obsession in the past thirty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 10:13 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Jaws would drop, but nobody would care after that.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Imagine this scene:

You are eating at your favorite local restaurant. A couple walks in. The waiter brings their first course, and instead of dishing up, bow their heads and quietly say a brief prayer thanking God for their food. Then they begin to eat like nothing happened.

How do you think people would react to this in your country?

Even in the supposedly uber-religious USA, this kind of thing is uncommon.
We do this all the time and no one has ever said anything about it.
If they did say something about it we would tell them to mind their own table, meal and business because what happens at our table between us and God does not concern nor involve them.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:24 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
People would start running out in horror.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:52 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We do this all the time and no one has ever said anything about it.
If they did say something about it we would tell them to mind their own table, meal and business because what happens at our table between us and God does not concern nor involve them.
That's precisely what I would do. Why would anyone care? It's simply someone's religious or even ethnic tradition (see the Irish blessing below) and doesn't even affect anyone else (unless of course, someone's thanksgiving blessing involves yelling "FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!!!" or something like that that's disruptive to a person's meal), so why would this affect anyone? Unless someone asked out of curiosity because they weren't familiar with it, that would be weird for a stranger to make an issue out of it. It would be just like someone who said a blessing watching at the table next to them, and if the patrons didn't ask a blessing before eating, walking up to them and demanding to know why they haven't said an appropriate blessing.

Of course, I'm in the southeast US, so it's a pretty common sight here (even to the point of giving diners a discount, which I'm not sure I agree with- because it's commercializing a personal, religious tradition):

N.C. restaurant gives a meal discount to praying diners - The Washington Post

Island Ireland: Irish Blessings & Prayers

And I have to call BS on the people saying liberals would start an issue with this. When visiting San Francisco, which is considered one of the most liberal places in the US, along with visiting other liberal hot spots, I've said blessings, and it hasn't ever really attracted attention from other strangers at nearby tables. If a liberal, or a conservative, or some variation or a person with some radically different political orientation, made an issue of this, it would be because they are a busy body, which has nothing to do with political views.

Last edited by Jowel; 12-07-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 12:53 PM

527 posts, read 709,005 times
I've seen it many times where I live... Even at food courts.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:56 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
People would start running out in horror.
No they wouldn't.

As far as restaurants go I've only ever seen people saying Grace a couple of times.

Once was a family sharing the same table as us on a cruise out of Galveston- the family didn't utter another word throughout the entire meal and then didn't turn up for the subsequent three nights!

The other time was a British family of Asian origin who were sitting at the next table to us at a restaurant in France.

I'd been chatting to the dad who was a dead ringer for one of my best friends.

As far as saying Grace that was entirely up to them, and it didn't worry us in the slightest, as would be the case for most Brits.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Imagine this scene:

You are eating at your favorite local restaurant. A couple walks in. The waiter brings their first course, and instead of dishing up, bow their heads and quietly say a brief prayer thanking God for their food. Then they begin to eat like nothing happened.

How do you think people would react to this in your country?

Even in the supposedly uber-religious USA, this kind of thing is uncommon.
I have never seen it in Canada, I have seen it in the US. Thought..hmm OK.

I guess it sort of bothered me because they were quite obvious about it. The whole wearing of religion on your sleeve.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
well liberals are usually more preoccupied with what others are doing or thinking for that matter
If that were true then they would have equal marriage everywhere. It's the conservative population for the most part, who are sticking their noses into other peoples business.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:52 PM

646 posts, read 465,283 times
I saw that happen in a German McDonalds once. It was a mother with a girl who was about 8 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World