Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:06 PM

138 posts, read 168,942 times

Advertisements

I'm as liberal as they come, but less than half of France (according to this) finds affairs unacceptable? I find that confusing and very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:55 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I consider masturbation immoral, and condoms too, much for the same reason...because they dissociate human sexuality from one of its natural ends, which is procreation.
I'm sure you meant disassociate. Why couldn't sex with a partner, with or without a condom, for reasons other than reproduction, be considered a way to bond with a loved one. Something that could easily be considered a key part in reproduction, and might be considered valuable in an age where divorces are commonplace. And when in the process of choosing your loved one, you naturally tend to make very primitive and bad decisions if your Chairman of the Board is loaded to the max, which can be cured by the way of masturbation.

Something to ponder. 73's

Old 01-16-2015, 01:01 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Premarital Sex
Do you personally believe that sex between unmarried adults is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

US: 30% unacceptable
(Russia: 30% unacceptable)
UK: 13 % unacceptable
France: 6% unacceptable
Germany: 6% unacceptable

Homosexuality
Do you personally believe that homosexuality is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

US: 37% unacceptable
UK: 17% unacceptable
France: 14% unacceptable
Germany: 8 % unacceptable

The US seems like such a fun place

Torture, on the other hand...

A more recent poll by Associated Press/NORC conducted in August 2013 found similar results. Half said the use of torture could sometimes or often be justified while 47% said it could rarely or never be justified .
It is - come live in NYC or SF!! And if they'd taken the survey only there - they'd have gotten different results.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:05 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I consider masturbation immoral, and condoms too, much for the same reason...because they dissociate human sexuality from one of its natural ends, which is procreation. It's amazing how sexually amoral Western Europeans has become in their viewpoints. In the U.S., there is a large contingent of those who still draw some connection between sexuality and morality, generally evangelicals or "strict" Catholics.

Of course, leave it to France with less than half even viewing adultery as immoral! And it's hard to believe how much and how QUICKLY Spain has fallen in moral standards...

A depressing survey!

That's not a valid "because". Something being "natural" in purpose or existence not does not make it moral or not moral. You'll have to explain more.

In addition, many other primates besides humans masturbate. To the extent it is therefore natural - does it now become suddenly moral?

Thank goodness prudish and preposterous attitudes to sexuality are dying out, and we can all be more honest about it now.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:27 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
It is - come live in NYC or SF!! And if they'd taken the survey only there - they'd have gotten different results.
It would be interesting to see a regional breakdown of the results. The US is much closer to the UK than Russia in its view of homosexualilty, 72% of Russians said they found homosexuality unacceptable, compared to 37% for the US. This survey found 33% of Americans in the Northeast, 35% of those in the West found homosexuality, while 44% in the Midwest and 57% in the South, so the Northeast and West might be similar to some western European countries. Actual percentages aren't comparable to the other surgery.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:38 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Canada is often thought of as society that is somewhere inbetween the United States and Europe, and this truism often holds when it comes to many comparisons. As such, I suspected it might be the case here, but I was proven wrong. Canada's numbers are nearly identical to those from the UK in every category and don't track to US. Rather then being somewhere in between, Canada appears decidedly British Isles in this survey.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:35 AM

723 posts, read 806,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Premarital Sex
Do you personally believe that sex between unmarried adults is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

US: 30% unacceptable
Hypocrisy !

Old 01-19-2015, 05:47 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
The only thing that I would disagree with on that list is an affair. Everything else is fair game. The only reason people find natural processes immoral is because they have been infected with that mental illness known as organised religion.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:57 AM

51 posts, read 60,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whywontthisjustwork View Post
I'm as liberal as they come, but less than half of France (according to this) finds affairs unacceptable? I find that confusing and very sad.
I'm not French, but I would agree with them on this. I don't think it's so much that affairs are acceptable, so just go off and have one, who cares. It's probably more like a rejection of the stupidity that you often hear about when someone finds out their partner was cheating. I mean really? Some people go off and kill their kids, their partner and then commit suicide...just because their partner was sleeping with someone else. Such a mature, reasonable response that is. Also, finding affairs acceptable can be a natural result of having more open, casual ideas about sex in general. Sex really is not that big a deal. As long as you use protection, it's purely sexual, it doesn't happen very often, and you don't want to run off with that other person and leave your partner, then I don't see what the problem is really.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:40 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Btw since when has gay become a moral issue? Or divorce?
Since about 2000 years ago when more or less Europe accepted a single God and the code of conduct given by church elders. As communications became global even though the decedents were dropping the belief in the church and God the structure remained through colonialism and restrictions on what could be printed, broadcast and produced in film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World