Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 AM

276 posts, read 330,689 times

Advertisements

Why does Latin/South America (Including the Caribbean) and East Asia (Japan, China, Korea, etc.) have very low Islamic population, while Europe and also somewhat North America have higher? Why don't Muslims move to South America and East Asia as well, rather than sticking to mostly in Europe, Australia/New Zealand and North America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,758 times
East Asia has a LOT of muslims, in China I think there over 50 million if I am not mistaken and then you have countries like Indonesia (the largest muslim nation in the world), or Malaysia!

South America does have few, its true....

Old 01-15-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
East Asia has a LOT of muslims, in China I think there over 50 million if I am not mistaken and then you have countries like Indonesia (the largest muslim nation in the world), or Malaysia!

I was referring to East Asia, not Southeast Asia. China has very low percentage of Islamic population though. What about Korea, Japan, Vietnam, etc.?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 AM

244 posts, read 362,364 times
South America was conquered by Spain and Portugal which are two Catholic bodies. There is 100s of years of Christianity engraved into Latin America. Muslims have had no real reasons to move to Latin America, I mean Latin America was hardly a place of prosperity, even to this day much of Latin America is relatively undeveloped - it is also in the Western hemisphere, so naturally Muslims who are based more around Asia Minor are not going to come all the way across the world for nothing, when there are better places to live that are in closer proximity.

As for places like Japan and Korea, that is because they are just largely homogenous and xenophobic. The reason why you can't find a lot of Muslim ethnic groups in Japan is the same reason why you can't find any other ethnic group in Japan other than the Japanese (bit of an exaggeration on my part ).

I wasn't aware Vietnam has a low Muslim population, that is interesting as there are neighboring countries that have relatively high Muslim populations. I don't know the answer to that one. Is there a Muslim presence (or lack of) in Laos and Cambodia as well?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:51 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,450,938 times
Quote:

China does not have over 50 million Muslims. Muslims make up about 1~2% of China's population, that's about 10~20 millions.

We just don't receive asylum seekers, generally speaking(or you could say that the asylum seekers have no intention of coming here). Though we do have Muslim foreign workers here and there, most of them come from Indonesia, and no, they don't cause any problems. We're the problematic ones for treating them super poorly.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:54 AM

64 posts, read 84,230 times
Quote:

Pls study Geo next time.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times
There are a lot of Lebanese who have moved to Latin America but I think they are mostly Christians.

There aren't that many muslims in North America, so not sure what you mean when you say there are a lot. Prolly a lower percentage in North America than East Asia. I mean you're talking under 1%. Canada has the most at 3% or so, but both the US and Mexico are well under 1%

Old 01-15-2015, 12:29 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
Philippines 6.0%
Thailand 5.8%

Mongolia 4.4%
Burma 3.8%

China 1.8%
Cambodia 1.6%
Bhutan 1.0%

Vietnam 0.2%
South Korea 0.2%

Laos 0.1%
Taiwan 0.1%
Japan 0.1%
North Korea 0.1%

Old 01-15-2015, 12:39 PM

510 posts, read 610,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
China does not have over 50 million Muslims. Muslims make up about 1~2% of China's population, that's about 10~20 millions.
Averaging the results of a quick google search estimates about 20-25 million muslims in China, which would be twice as many as the total number of muslims in all of North America, so the OP's assertion that North America has more muslims than East Asia would seem inaccurate. Even as a percentage of the population they are probably about the same.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
There are a lot of Lebanese who have moved to Latin America but I think they are mostly Christians.

There aren't that many muslims in North America, so not sure what you mean when you say there are a lot. Prolly a lower percentage in North America than East Asia. I mean you're talking under 1%. Canada has the most at 3% or so, but both the US and Mexico are well under 1%
Most ethnic Lebanese are Christians, including the president of Lebanon by law. However, 40% of Lebanon's tiny population are Christians today, but Lebanese diaspora are predominately Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World