Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:42 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,299,078 times

Advertisements

All my life I've tried to get away as much as possible as I could from typical french culture, but I guess it's so rooted inside that it's hard to escape. I still don't like most of our wine and cheese though.

Our culture is so ancient and strong that we feel isolated in the world and have this feeling of being universalists, like a light in the storm to guide everyone else. That's a trait we share with the USA (our best friends and enemies)

But most of us are pretty ashamed of ourselves as well.

I don't know, it's just a complex matter with us.

Really, sometimes I wish I was from Azerbaijan or Bhutan or another relatively unknown country because no matter where you go in the world, people will always have an opinion on the French (be it positive or negative)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:35 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,817,987 times
I dislike some, if not most of our politicians and the mentality of the people in some parts of the county, but i'll never dislike my country, i just can't, i hate some of his aspects but love some others

Old 02-06-2015, 06:25 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,972,510 times
Dislike some of our bogans ('rednecks') and the fact that they're more dispersed across the country than stuck in one region. At least in the US, they're mostly in the South. In here, you'll find these thick-accented, uneducated, loud people in every suburb or city, albeit not that many.

They're no biggie anyway. As I said, they're still a minority. But it would've helped if they were all moved to Brisbane and to make it their Kansas or Atlanta.

Last edited by Ethereal; 02-06-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,816 times
There are many things I love about Italy: food, millenarian history, the warmth of people, culture.
There are many things I hate/dislike about Italy like the fact that this country has practically destroyed the future of an entire generation, forcing Italian youngsters to mass emigrate.
Looking at the economical statistics the situation is tragic and beyond repair.
I love my country but it deeply saddens me it has no future whatsoever and that nothing I can do will change this.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:25 PM

338 posts, read 335,384 times
Has anyone thought that their ancestors though the same thing, that things are not as good as before etc. but it always turns out to just be the same stuff.

Anyway what I like and dislike:

Like: Cheaper high quality tobacco compared to Asia, drinkable tap water, being able to order off amazon without 100 dollars worth of shipping, heavy emphasis on individual opinion in the education system where the education is actually high quality, nice road trips, girls: one can find many here of different races and appearances without just being stuck with one type.

???: The fact being an American essentially means one is just a human being with no identity, despite all the conflict and issues throughout our history, we realize what we all have in common is that we gave up our identities to just enter this country for whatever reason, they actually chose to throw it all away just. It's a sobering thought.

Dislike: Gangster culture, really high prices for eating what should be inexpensive food outside of one's home, lack of unique special food items one finds in the rest of the world during a holiday and such, urban sprawl, relatives, MSNBC and Fox News types, lack of identity or clear way of life to be proud of; nothing quirky or iconic when one lives their day in the region i am in (the Northeast is a different thing and so is the west coast and many regions but not where I am)

Last edited by Mahhammer; 02-07-2015 at 02:37 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 05:59 PM

117 posts, read 155,284 times
Too much taxes goes towards the military and not enough goes towards internal problems such as education and various other underfunded public entities/programs. Don't get me wrong, our military is extremely important but, we spend a ridiculous amount of money on it.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:06 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,405,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Dislike some of our bogans ('rednecks') and the fact that they're more dispersed across the country than stuck in one region. At least in the US, they're mostly in the South. In here, you'll find these thick-accented, uneducated, loud people in every suburb or city, albeit not that many.

They're no biggie anyway. As I said, they're still a minority. But it would've helped if they were all moved to Brisbane and to make it their Kansas or Atlanta.
Not really. The south just has the stereotype but they are everywhere here too.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:02 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,953,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post

Not true. You'll find them everywhere here too. Even California and New York has rednecks, lots of them. Them being confined in the South is just a stereotype

Old 02-07-2015, 09:27 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,972,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not true. You'll find them everywhere here too. Even California and New York has rednecks, lots of them. Them being confined in the South is just a stereotype
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not really. The south just has the stereotype but they are everywhere here too.
Oh, really? That's actually comforting (so we're not the only ones ).

Do they have the accent too? And are they more predominant in one suburb (say, the lower socioeconomic suburbs) over the other?

Old 02-07-2015, 09:46 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,433,721 times
Culturally...I really really don't like my home country, America. Much more interested in the other countries that I've been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World