Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:02 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
But for instance would you fight if you were in the Kurds position?
I honestly would try, but in the long run i'd be tempted to escape along with my family to nearby safer Turkey, especially if the situation is worsening. In my first post i forgot to mention how hard and life threatening can be escaping from war zones, it's easier said than done, in the case of Kurds, it appears easier as the territory they control borders with Turkey, so they wouldn't have to pass through no man's land if they had to emigrate to the closest country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 03:49 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,214,998 times
I am navy man and too old for active service in case of war...But ready to take weapon to my hand if just needed and defence this land, no question about that.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:00 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
What about you family and friends?
I would move, just like most Europeans did when they moved to America

Old 02-24-2015, 04:10 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,051 times
Well, i'd probably have to attend to my anti-aircraft communications sergeant position to help Helsinki from not getting bombed from above. I do have a better idea though, maybe if we would quit being "neutral" and apply to join NATO, we might actually have a chance of ending up getting access to respectable equipment and combat-experienced backup to work with in a modern war. Now, it sometimes feels we are more of an undercover member, in some strange gray area of indecision and confusion. Relying on stories about how tough our grandfathers and great-grandfathers were during WW2 era.

And i'd have nothing against finnish men and women volunteering for NATO operations abroad if we were to join, heck you might get quite some applicants in this economy, not to mention there's always some young men who are just angry and bored with their life, maybe they'd find a path to put some skills and traits unwanted in a pacifist-leaning soft nordic welfare state into full bloom and be productive, instead of becoming lifelong troublemakers.

It's actually mandatory for males aged 18-30 to enlist, some go to prison for refusing to do so. Others take the option to attend a "civilian service period", which i actually consider a rather honorable path, they are likely to be proficient and have experience in a trade that is needed during a conflict. Then you have these potheads, and those who attended "the school of life", "patriotic" skinheads and neo-nazis, and general slackers and whatnot who get a "medical" exemption

A medical sergeant is a combat medic who is trained and assigned as a team/squad leader or other similar front-line supervisor position, IIRC.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:46 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
A medical sergeant is a combat medic who is trained and assigned as a team/squad leader or other similar front-line supervisor position, IIRC.
Yes, I'm the vice platoon leader of the supply platoon. We are at the front line but a bit behind with the HQ platoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not saying it's good or bad, but of all of the forumers, Ariete, you're the one who's surprised me the most on this thread!
Well, both my grandfathers fought in WWII and my grandmother was a civilian volunteer, and most people have these traditions. Finns are in general not very hawkish, but if someone dares to come, we'll give them hell with all we got.

In many other issues again I'm a latte-sipping €uroliberal.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:48 PM

671 posts, read 889,926 times
Would your country sacrifice itself for you?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:13 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Would your country sacrifice itself for you?
I wouldn't do it for my government. But my country is my friends and family not the government.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Would you die for your country? And could you sacrifice yourself to any other country?
'Yes' to the first question, and 'yes-no-maybe-I don't know-it would depend on the situation' to the second.

I love and cherish my country, my people, and I love my queen too, so I'd be willing to fight, defend, make many kinds of sacrifices and even die for what I love. I could never run away to another country and abandon all I love and leave all behind.

As to the 2nd question, could I sacrifice myself for another country? No. I think sacrifice is too strong a word to use for somebody else's country. Sacrifice makes me think of martyrs, it's something radical that I'd do for the sake of profound ideals and there aren't any other countries besides my own country that I feel idealistic about.

But depending on the circumstances and which country it was and whether or not I thought it was a just and worthwhile cause that stands a good chance of being won I might be willing to fight for them and take my chances on getting killed, but hopefully not killed. I certainly would be supportive but I wouldn't sacrifice myself - it would be too much like throwing myself on top of a land mine for another country's sake. How would my sacrifice to another country be of benefit to my own country and people? It wouldn't.

If it looks like their cause is hopeless and I think they don't stand a chance of winning I'd be more inclined to offer them refuge and a start at a new life with me in my country and defend them from there.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:58 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I began to think about this, and life and death in general, and thought about "what if".

Sure, I would certainly sacrifice myself on the behalf of Finland without any hesitation, but I equally think what if Sweden was attacked, I would give my life for their integrity.

What about you? Of the same opinion or do you take the first plane to Brazil if something happens?
Since I'm already in Brazil, I would have no other choice...
What I can state about this situation is a quote by Thomas Paine: "The world is my country, all the mankind are my brethren and to do good is my religion".

Old 02-25-2015, 02:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I began to think about this, and life and death in general, and thought about "what if".

Sure, I would certainly sacrifice myself on the behalf of Finland without any hesitation, but I equally think what if Sweden was attacked, I would give my life for their integrity.

What about you? Of the same opinion or do you take the first plane to Brazil if something happens?
It depends. Is the war a just one or one that seems to be about what's best for the 1 percent?

A just one, yes. I would do my utter most to defend Canada. Another country? Perhaps, if I was part of group that was there only hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World