Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 PM

653 posts, read 745,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You do realize L.A, a megacity with a mega economy and the second largest city in the worlds largest economy, Toronto (anchoring the Greater Toronto Area home to the worlds 9th largest Stock exchange) and S.F (anchoring the bay area and all its tech wonders - heard of google, apple, oracle for example?) all have larger nominal gdp's than Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing and Sydney for example.. They are also ranked by Gawc as Alpha class world cities so yes they are international places of business and economic strength.
when I hear my friends and bosses talk shop about international settlements and trade contracts or when I attend international conventions, cities like London, New York, Paris, Geneva pop out; I keep hearing about Toronto as a nice place for retirement via property purchase, though. I will think SF got an edge as being near to Silicon Valley. It gives a impression of being full of young, hungry starts-ups and full of VCs; didn't really hear much about LA at these conventions.

Maybe it is because these cities are more integrated and have more economic trade, business links with their national economy of US and Canada rather than with other nations; that why it didn't ring a bell with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:10 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,918,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Not really, though, when I hear my friends and bosses talk shop about international settlements and trade contracts or when I attend international conventions, cities like London, New York, Paris, Geneva pop out; I keep hearing about Toronto as a nice place for retirement via property purchase, though. I will think SF got an edge as being near to Silicon Valley. i didn't really hear much about LA at these conventions.

Maybe it is because these cities are more integrated with their national economy of US and Canada rather than with other nations; that why it didn't ring a bell with me.
You are talking about friends and bosses talking talk shop about international settlements and trade contracts lol.. ok anyway I stick by what i said

All three of these cities have huge economies and are not only important to their own national economies but also on the world markets. Toronto for example as I mentioned has the 9th largest stock exchange in the world and is one of the worlds largest financial centres.. Another poster has identified L.A's importance and the Bay area needs no explanation due to its tech giants and all three have large GDP's easily in the top 20 in the world in terms of nomimal GDP measures.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:14 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,471,348 times
LA is not really the city with second largest economy in the world though, it's probably New York as Tokyo is by far the largest.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,918,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
LA is not really the city with second largest economy in the world though, it's probably New York as Tokyo is by far the largest.
L.A is the second largest city economy in the worlds largest nation economy.. With that said L.A has a larger GDP than London and Paris. There is more to being economically powerful than GDP of course, but L.A is clearly a powerful city economically and as per the list is also powerful for other reasons. I mean metro L.A is over 15 million people and has a GDP of about 800 Billion... any way you slice it - L.A is a beast.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You are talking about friends and bosses talking talk shop about international settlements and trade contracts lol.. ok anyway I stick by what i said

All three of these cities have huge economies and are not only important to their own national economies but also on the world markets. Toronto for example as I mentioned has the 9th largest stock exchange in the world and is one of the worlds largest financial centres.. Another poster has identified L.A's importance and the Bay area needs no explanation due to its tech giants and all three have large GDP's easily in the top 20 in the world in terms of nomimal GDP measures.
I don't deny the GDP hard figures, just my POV on how it registers in other people's minds. This is fascinating, how different business people have different views what makes a economically powerful city.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I agree with you here; top 3 is a close fight between New York, Tokyo and my personal addition, London.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:00 AM

266 posts, read 676,012 times
One has to take city GDP's with a pinch of salt sometimes. For example Detroit is one the world's richest cities - even though it has plenty of middle class and rich, it's got huge amounts of poor also. It's average income is far, far higher than it's median income - thanks to 15 billionaires who call it home, and making it richer than San Diego, Las Vegas or Phoenix, who have far higher median incomes, and even over larger populations ( and that's not even mentioning megacities abroad, like 22 million Delhiwallers who collectively score below Detroit on a nominal basis). I think some kind of Gini Coefficient that measures inequality should come into things more, as otherwise it skews the picture.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post
One has to take city GDP's with a pinch of salt sometimes. For example Detroit is one the world's richest cities - even though it has plenty of middle class and rich, it's got huge amounts of poor also. It's average income is far, far higher than it's median income - thanks to 15 billionaires who call it home, and making it richer than San Diego, Las Vegas or Phoenix, who have far higher median incomes, and even over larger populations ( and that's not even mentioning megacities abroad, like 22 million Delhiwallers who collectively score below Detroit on a nominal basis). I think some kind of Gini Coefficient that measures inequality should come into things more, as otherwise it skews the picture.
This is the best post in this thread i have seen so far.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 AM

225 posts, read 216,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
I agree with you here; top 3 is a close fight between New York, Tokyo and my personal addition, London.
Many rankings now seem to put London at the top. It really depends on the criteria I guess.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:36 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,860,537 times
Yeah they pay tax and have offices in Dublin but half them were created and headquatered in the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World