Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:15 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times

Advertisements

I know plenty who love it. Obvious rednecks, self proclaimed rednecks, stereotypical rednecks and wanna be rednecks. I also see plenty of old people eating it as well. Of course it's still "bait" but with a little soy sauce and wasabe it's pretty tasty bait. I guess living on the coast and working on boats targeting tuna fish you kind of get used to it. Nothin like cutting a bit off a freshly caught tuna while out on the water and slicing up a plate of sashimi!

Not sushi or sashimi but raw, uncooked bait never the less, oysters and clams are quite popular with this crowd as well!

Then there is the latin based cevichi with shrimp or fish "cooked" in the lime juice.

Tasty, tasty, tasty. Perhaps I'm just turning into a fish since I eat bait!

Come on! What's so different about eating "bait" then a nice, thick, juicy steak or hamburger red enough in the middle you can practically hear it moo? Or a nice rare slab of prime rib?

Now I'm hungry. Could go for a philly roll and some fresh yellowfin sashimi served up before a nice, thick mooing rib eye!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 01:11 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
I'm in late 60's, so are most of my friends and I have other friends and relatives who are much older. Most of us are farmers, loggers, fishermen, construction workers, blue collar workers, etc. and I think it's fair to say some of them are rough and tough rednecks. Some live in Vancouver, some live outside of Vancouver in rural areas and we're a mix of all sorts of races and ethnicities.

We've all been big fans of sushi for over 45 years which is when it started to become more popular in BC amongst the non-Asian populations. Before the late 60's it was dim sum and Italian that was a big deal.

So I don't think sushi is a generational or gentrified cosmopolitan thing in BC now. Maybe it was only generational and considered a rather bohemian indulgence up to the early to mid-70's though, before the heavy influx of multi-ethnic immigrants started coming to the west coast and a greater diversity of ethnic restaurants of all kinds started opening up then. And then BAM! everybody started eating everything even if it was only once just to be experimental. Sushi was a huge hit.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
We live in a big city and love the occasional Sushi meal however my wifes family that lives on a farm out in the country views sushi as just eating huge hunks of raw fish..
http://www.curezone.org/upload/Blogs...s/raw_fish.jpg
or
http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/pe..._5759.jpg.html

Old 06-17-2015, 06:06 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
In Italy I saw little non-Italian food...aside from McDonald's mostly a few Chinese restaurants, I saw one Indian, and a few Japanese/sushi places. One place was even serving wasabi gelato!
You won't find much outside of large cities but the popularity of foreign food is slightly growing and nowadays there are many options in cities like Rome, Turin and Milan if you are looking for an exotic experience.

Here's a tip: If you are looking for foreign food, you won't just find it in the city centers, but in the neighbourhoods surrounding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
ive never eaten sushi ( hope to change that however )
Ate it only once in a restaurant in Napoli and it was really expensive but it was really tasty and it was so fresh because it was fished in the nearby harbour that same morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World