Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Good looking and jobs: Is it important?
Yes 16 69.57%
No 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 04:30 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times

Advertisements

Simple question, I can see every time more job offers asking for a photo or good looks. Is it important around you/where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 04:32 AM

602 posts, read 496,123 times
Yes, yes and no.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:03 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
In America, it doesn't really matter at all for men. Most of the rich/successful people here are unattractive old men.

For women, it matters somewhat/slightly more in SOME fields such as if you were looking for work as a secretary. Most male bosses who hire secretaries pretty much just care about having a hot secretary who at least does a somewhat okay'ish job completing the tasks.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:21 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Do good looking people in your country have better job opportunities? Yes and no. You certainly don't have to be a supermodel for landing a job, but you should know how to dress accordingly and how to take care of your body. Especially, if you have to deal with customers.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 AM

502 posts, read 655,419 times
Yes, we do

Old 08-10-2015, 06:27 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
Here yes espcially in stores ot whatever where people see you, even in some factories without customers, I have been asked several times about my weight and height on the interviews, and in Mc Donalds the beautiful people are always behind the counter, the less pretty people in the kitchen.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:27 AM

7 posts, read 7,025 times
In the US it doesn't really matter with a few exceptions. Some people say they are discriminated against because of their weight but I've seen big people in positions of power. People say that women are treated better if they are good looking but I find that this may cause people to think you are not as bright or that you will be considered distracting. To counter this you can just wear glasses and pull your hair back or get a corporate hairdo and the problem is solved. I don't really see discrimination against unattractive people, however many claim this to be the case. However with the right clothes and a pair of glasses nobody will notice such aesthetic deficincies. If good looking people are getting ahead it's probably in sales fields. However nobody considers that it's not the appearance that is opening more professional doors for attractive people but the confidence that comes with it. In my view a less attractive person can learn this confidence and cultivating a professional look and have just as great a chance at leading the field. People frequently underestimate the worth of a great personality.

Last edited by Jacobina; 08-10-2015 at 06:36 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 AM

279 posts, read 361,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
In America, it doesn't really matter at all for men. Most of the rich/successful people here are unattractive old men.
I would agree with you slightly if you worded this another way. I would say looks don't interfere/matter as much for opportunities to those who are from rich backgrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobina View Post
In the US it doesn't really matter with a few exceptions.
Most studies in the U.S. disprove that. Here's a great article on the subject which culls a number of the studies. The Ugly Side Of Hiring: How Much Do Looks Contribute To Employment?

A few points in the article:

Cornell University study: "Caucasian females who gained an average of 64 pounds experienced a 9 percent drop in wages. "

Journal of Applied Psychology: interviewers “recalled less information” about job applicants with facial marks or some kind of facial disfigurement because they were predictably focused on the blemish.

Yale University: “Attractive employees rake in 5 percent more than the average, while their counterparts possessing poorer appearances can take a pay hit of up to 9 percent."

The flip side of the coin btw is that the more attractive a woman is (in the U.S.) there is a greater chance she is not seen as capable to do a hard job (same article I linked above)

Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Yes and no. In certain professions, like customer service, it's certainly a plus, but your skills decide in the end if you get the job. We are a very meritocratic society and your credentials like experience and language skills trumps looks. Asking about your height and weight would be very inappropriate.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:36 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Yeah I wouldn't hire a fatty. They take up too much space, and occasionally smell. Plus, they'd need feeding constantly and would get many fat related illness's.

Beauty's only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World