Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 04:08 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
He is saying that it is probably easier to point out states in the US (being the size that they are) as opposed to counties within the UK (which are minuscule by comparison).

I would agree that most would fail to point out the regions or provinces (or whatever) within China or India too, but then does it really matter?
I still fail to see what size has to do with it? The number of counties or states perhaps but size is irrelevant, I don't believe I have said anywhere that it matters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 04:22 PM

844 posts, read 1,064,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I can definitely understand that Colombians have been traumatized by cocaine and that many hate it and stay away from it, but your statement about most Colombians never having seen it is still very hard to believe...
Not so hard to believe, most people go about their lives unaware of those things. Specially in the cities, ej; most urban people eat meat, yet they rarely see where it's come from or how is produced -by killing animals- go to YouTube and watch a video of hunters or meat production, you'll see entire threads of discussions started by people that are offended by butchers/hunters killing animals even if is to feed humans. Colombia is a country of 46 millions inhabitants, and most of them live in the cities. Cocaine grows in the jungles, do the math.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:52 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I fail to see what difference that makes? China and India are also the size of continents but most British or Americans would also fail to accurately place their seperate regions or states.
How can you not distinguish between:

1. A Caribbean region
2. An Andean region
3. A Savannah (Llano) region (similar in ecosystem to the Serengeti)
4. An amazon region
5. a Pacific coast jungle region with 85% of the population of West African heritage.

??

Honestly, you may personally not know about it but anyone that's even only slightly informed about Colombia or has eyes can accurately separate the regions. They're completely different ecosystems.

Natural regions & Cultural sub-regions

Old 08-25-2015, 04:56 PM

185 posts, read 258,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Not so hard to believe, most people go about their lives unaware of those things. Specially in the cities, ej; most urban people eat meat, yet they rarely see where it's come from or how is produced -by killing animals- go to YouTube and watch a video of hunters or meat production, you'll see entire threads of discussions started by people that are offended by butchers/hunters killing animals even if is to feed humans. Colombia is a country of 46 millions inhabitants, and most of them live in the cities. Cocaine grows in the jungles, do the math.
Having a hard time Believing Colombians have never seen cocaine on average, is like acting surprised because average Canadians in the cities have never seen a polar bear

like you say cocaine grows up in the jungles FAR FAR away from cities where people live.... colombians don't venture into the jungle, just like Canadians don't venture into the empty tundra

Old 08-25-2015, 04:58 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Nonsense
What an articulated response we have here.
Just take the enormous variety of accents in the UK and compare it with the differences within the US, then you compare the size of the two countries.
Without even mentioning that any single city in Europe has more history than anything in the US, what are we talking about?

Old 08-25-2015, 05:00 PM

185 posts, read 258,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
How can you not distinguish between:

1. A Caribbean region
2. An Andean region
3. A Savannah (Llano) region (similar in ecosystem to the Serengeti)
4. An amazon region
5. a Pacific coast jungle region with 85% of the population of West African heritage.

??

Honestly, you may personally not know about it but anyone that's even only slightly informed about Colombia or has eyes can accurately separate the regions. They're completely different ecosystems.

Natural regions & Cultural sub-regions

you do realize he's talking about the US, not Colombia!

Old 08-25-2015, 05:11 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulta View Post
you do realize he's talking about the US, not Colombia!
Ahaa! My mistake - apologies Easthome!
Acajack just ruffled my feathers and I didn't pay attention properly.

PS: The differences between Glaswegians, Scouse and Cornish alone is testament to how easily distinguishable one can be from the other, especially when they talk but visible in various other manifestations also.

With you on that one Easthome

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 08-25-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 05:33 PM

150 posts, read 165,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
BS
So when an American claims that Ford built the first car ( and yes I've read that claim on CD ) and a German corrects them that it was a German that did, that German now has an inferiority complex?
Same for who invented planes. In the Anglosphere, Wright brothers created the first plane, but in the rest of Europe and parts of South America, Africa and Asia, Alberto Santos Dumont did.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulta View Post
Having a hard time Believing Colombians have never seen cocaine on average, is like acting surprised because average Canadians in the cities have never seen a polar bear

like you say cocaine grows up in the jungles FAR FAR away from cities where people live.... colombians don't venture into the jungle, just like Canadians don't venture into the empty tundra
You guys are making it sound like I said Columbians are a bunch of druggies. That's not the case at all. I just find it really hard to believe that any country (especially one with so many drugs floating around) is as drug-free as has been alleged.

BTW my wife used to work in Colombia: Bogota, Cali, Medellin, Bucaramanga, Barranquilla, Cartagena, Pasto...

Old 08-25-2015, 10:00 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
What an articulated response we have here.
Just take the enormous variety of accents in the UK and compare it with the differences within the US, then you compare the size of the two countries.
Without even mentioning that any single city in Europe has more history than anything in the US, what are we talking about?

The UK is far more homogeneous than the US. The differences in politics, geography, climate, laws etc all vary greatly. A fairer conparison would be the US to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World