Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 04:02 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times

Advertisements

Are there really places in the world where you could buy or have a 'Mansion' built for less than $200,000 USD??

Are there any sites where there are real-estate listings in these countries??

And yes, I don't care about how undeveloped the country actually is.

(By mansion I have no specific criteria, just a large-sized house)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I've heard that Somalia (no joke, seriously) is such a place where you can have a very large home custom-built for like $70,000.

Seriously, though, you can't get much cheaper, all things considered, than Texas or parts of the Southern or Midwestern U.S. in terms of bang for your buck. Even here in Duluth, my parents paid $85,000 (now worth about $150,000) for a 1,400 square foot house on 5.7 acres with a 3-car detached garage and a barn to boot. That would cost you what, like $1,000,000 in most parts of western Europe?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
And yes, I don't care about how undeveloped the country actually is.
I'll point out one thing - an American can live like a king in many underdeveloped nations. I can see why that would have a certain allure to it. However, you should at least consider certain factors (is the country in the midst of a bloody war? is disease running rampant? will I have access to clean water?).

Old 07-10-2011, 02:32 AM

312 posts, read 909,348 times
For $500,000 you can get a real mansion in the Philippines overlooking the sea, with pool, tennis courts etc.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:38 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Google best retirement countries and you will find a lot of information. I had seen one list that ranked each country by cost of real estate, crime, stability, etc. I thought I saved it now I can't find it. Expat forums will have infor on real estate and you can talk to people already living there. I included a forum website and article for you to look at. Good luck.

These countries are rated high on most lists;
Panama
Ecuador
Nicaragua
Uruguay

You might find this forum and this article interesting. Uruguay Expat and Travel main index
10 Reasons to Retire in Panama - On Retirement (usnews.com)

Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Well, in some parts of Northeastern Brazil, real estate is relatively cheap yet.

Read this:

Foreigners Discover the North East of Brazil for Retirement and Real Estate Investment

The Northeast of Brazil found its avocation: to be the tropical paradise where Europeans spend and invest their euros. Portuguese, Spaniards, French, Italians, Germans and Scandinavian are invading the region to do business, spend holidays or enjoy their retirement in a place with pleasant climate and at prices much more affordable than those in Europe. This movement has two consequences. The first one is the increase in residential tourism. A few thousand foreigners are buying apartments and houses this side of the Atlantic - for holidays or even to live for good. In Ceará, out of each ten new apartments for sale with prices over R$ 50,000, three are purchased by foreigners. In Rio Grande do Norte, the Europeans bought 40% of the new houses and apartments sold last year.

Read the complete text here: Discover the North East of Brazil for Retirement and Real Estate Investment

Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I thought I saved it now I can't find it. [/url]
Perhaps this?: The world's best places to retire - MSN Money
or
http://www.il-ireland.com/il/qofl2009/

Last edited by elnina; 07-10-2011 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: link added

Old 07-10-2011, 09:29 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
These lists are entertaining but almost worthless because they give no indication of the ease of getting a resident's visa. For some countries, it's not too difficult whereas for others it's virtually impossible unless you are married to a citizen or are one yourself. This is the first thing you need to find out about or you may be just wasting your time.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I assume that OP posted rather rhetorical question.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:50 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
For $500,000 you can get a real mansion in the Philippines overlooking the sea, with pool, tennis courts etc.
I was in this country on a business trip and it is beautiful. Note, it is a third world country, so one will see the not so good side of it as well, like parts of Manila but Makati is very nice. It has many beautiful areas and islands as well, around the country like Palawan, Davao, Boracay!

I was taken here for dinner, Punta Fuego in the sounthern part of Luzon in Batangas. Punta Fuego is a gated beach and golf community and very strict about nonmembers..

You can get a home for around $500,000 but may not have ocean front view and will be a small lot (300-400sqm), so not a mansion. I doubt you can get a mansion for $200,000 but for $300,00 you can probably get a 4000sqft home in one of the nicer subdivisons but I still wouldn't consider that a mansion, but that is a very large home to me.
If you build your home in other parts of the country, away from the big business centers like Makati, one can probably stretch that $500,000 and you can have your mansion with the pool and tennis court.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World