Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 07:19 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,392 times

Advertisements

Of the cities I've been to (and in no particular order): NYC, Buenos Aires, London, Madrid, Barcelona, Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong.

A city I visited recently that surprised me was Milan. Its Navigli district (developed around canals) was one of the busiest nightlife districts I've seen anywhere. Other honorable mentions: Amsterdam, Lisbon, Seville, Valencia, Melbourne, Montreal, Liverpool (though you can quibble on the "world class" part for some of them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 10:22 AM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangkok, and London.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:52 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,429,521 times
In my personal experience:
Paris, Barcelona (the best IMO), Chicago, Atlanta

Places I want to experience:
New York, LA, New Orleans, Prague, Budapest, Seoul, Bangkok, Sydney, Rio, Buenos Aires

I'm a little shocked that Amsterdam is getting so many votes. While Amsterdam is a lot of fun, it is a very chill place. Much more of a bar and smoke lounge city versus a nightlife/clubbing one. Rotterdam is the place for that.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:07 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
In terms of sheer volume of people, I mean uniform not just in one area.
Lagos, Nigeria- The densest city I have ever been too, it is like if all of New York was as dense as Bronx, including the rest of Long Island, Westchester-Poughkeepsie, SW Connecticut and Northern Jersey were all 30k per square mile.
Paris, France- Really dense in the center and surrounding burbs, Only slightly less dense than Lagos overall, but this is my opinion. Very few low density areas.
New York, New York (Second because besides the 3 or 4 Urban counties in Jersey, ea good portion of NYC Metro outside of the 5 boroughs is as lively as where I live now, (Katy Texas).

Istanbul, Turkey- Pretty dense throughout just I didn't see any exceptionally, dense areas like in NYC or Lagos, although their is probably some areas like that.

London, England- Like Istanbul, dense throughout but not many super dense areas like NYC/Lagos/Paris. Also many of the dense areas have as much street density as London.
Geneva, Switzerland- Ridiculously small compared to these cities but has really impressive density in the city for such a small place, really impressive density, it has at least 25k per square mile in the core and then it has less than 1 million in the metro, which is amazing to be so small and dense.
Besides these cities I don't think I have gone to anywhere that had a lot of people, everywhere I went.
Honorable mentions
Barcelona, Spain
Port Harcourt, Nigeria (up there with New York but their is nothing World Class about this city)
Montpelier, France-
It is small but incredibly dense, for such a small place that is a standalone city.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:14 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Sydney is definitely up there. Seems underrated in these boards.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:23 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
All Canadian cities with the exception of Montreal are pretty pathetic when it comes to nightlife IMO. I think it has to do with the culture and density of the cities. The best nightlife I ever experienced was in Hong Kong believe it or not. Lan Kwai Fong was incredible and it seemed like it had an order of magnitude greater energy than anything I've ever experienced in Canada.

Last edited by deneb78; 10-31-2015 at 09:42 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 11:47 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,917 times
Boosterism: nightlife in SP is better than in Rio and Buenos Aires.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:02 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
NYC
Istanbul
Tokyo
London
Tel Aviv

Limiting it to five, that would be my list of the cities that ooze energy both day and night.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:57 AM

400 posts, read 422,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
All Canadian cities with the exception of Montreal are pretty pathetic when it comes to nightlife IMO. I think it has to do with the culture and density of the cities. The best nightlife I ever experienced was in Hong Kong believe it or not. Lan Kwai Fong was incredible and it seemed like it had an order of magnitude greater energy than anything I've ever experienced in Canada.
Highlighted area absolutely true. And it'll probably not ever change, unfortunately. My countrymen/women are too wedded to achieving perfect 'safety' over everything. That's boring.

From my personal experience,

Mykonos, Athens (plaka area), Barcelona, Madrid!!, Paris, Montreal, and Miami beach isn't bad.
I love cities with that unique pulsating energy; in fact, in my view it's a sine qua non for visiting a city.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:34 PM

209 posts, read 304,459 times
Barcelona I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World