Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times

Advertisements

A place to discuss the news of the day. Feel free to throw in any interesting articles

starting with

what the heck?

Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Sherlock is real, Churchill isnt? And I thought the schools were bad on this side of the pond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Oh no, believe me sadly America does not have the monopoly for poor education levels. I'm afraid these stories do seem more and more common place, some people interviewed recently thought Hitler had won the war and could not name one Allied leader's name. Pretty appalling.

History is being discarded in schools in favour for such delightful subjects as "media studies" and sport. I don't know how they expect kids to have any understanding of history if it isn't compulsory any more ?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
A place to discuss the news of the day. Feel free to throw in any interesting articles

starting with

what the heck?

Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Sherlock is real, Churchill isnt? And I thought the schools were bad on this side of the pond!
That's really quite funny, if a bit disturbing.

Whilst I do get quite worried by the lack of general knowledge some kids on TV (particularly Big Brother) display ("East Angular? Isn't that abroad?"), this is just 25% of 3000 under-twenty UKTV Gold viewers, and viewers who have such a dull life that they don't mind participating in random surveys (I'd love to know if they did it via an interactive Sky thing).

So it's hardly representative of the UK as a whole, and their "Quarter of Brits" headline is just a tad misleading...!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
There are certainly lots of interesting and sometimes disturbing pieces of news information floating around cyber space everyday.

For City Data purposes, though, it would be best if any particular item was the subject of its own thread rather than being thrown into a mish-mash thread.

This will allow each topic to be discussed on its own merits without a lot of non-applicable posts in between.

Members also need to kep in mind that topics need to be posted to the appropriate forums. Items which deal with the US need to be posted in US-centered forums rather than in the World forum.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World