Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:14 PM

919 posts, read 840,106 times

Advertisements

Tokyo, Singapore and Osaka named as the world's safest cities with London beaten into 18th place by gang-ridden Chicago and LA
  • Japanese capital Tokyo has been named as the world's safest city for 2015
  • Ranked best for digital security, health, infrastructure and personal safety
  • Singapore and Osaka made the second and third places on the list
  • European cities Stockholm and Amsterdam were also ranked highly

Last edited by elnina; 01-04-2016 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Accept of course that Asia consists of more than just Japan or Singapore.
How safe are the Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar or even India, Indonesia (Jakarta) or many parts of the middle east?

Old 01-04-2016, 01:29 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
How safe are the Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar or even India, Indonesia (Jakarta) or many parts of the middle east?
I can only speak on Thailand but crime wise I think it's safer than many places, although not as safe as the spots mentioned.

What I'd worry about there is traffic safety. I think I've read that Thailand is in the top 10, or maybe 5(correction 2ND IN THE WORLD!!!), when it comes to traffic fatality rate. Having ridden a scooter there on vacation I will not argue. It doesn't even seem like the traffic laws, if there are any, are enforced. For such an overall developed country, it's really amazing, and in all honesty inexcusable, that it's so dangerous on the roads.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:45 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Yeah. No doubt places like Tokyo or Singapore are very safe, but Burma, Pakistan, Afghanistan, the Philippines, Syria, Iraq and Yemen not very so.

But this is again one of these zero-worth studies. "We handpicked 50 cities, mostly Alpha global cities, as the rest aren't interesting". Therefore NYC is the world's 10th safest city, though I could argue that Innsbruck is definitely safer.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:13 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,741 times
If Mother Nature is added into this equation, Japan is not so safe anymore.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Quote:
Of course that should have read "EXCEPT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

But this is again one of these zero-worth studies. "We handpicked 50 cities, mostly Alpha global cities, as the rest aren't interesting". Therefore NYC is the world's 10th safest city, though I could argue that Innsbruck is definitely safer.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 01-04-2016, 05:22 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I've lived and worked in Shanghai, Beijing, and Seoul and all were very safe. Seoul has an underlying worry about their aggressive northern neighbor and with China's 1 party government, you never know if they are going to crack down on people they don't like but for now, the average person there is very safe.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:42 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times
I agree, Japan seems interesting.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:38 PM

919 posts, read 840,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The Economist’s ranking looked at 50 cities and chose them based on regional representation and availability of data.
New York and Los Angeles lead in digital security, while Zurich takes the top spot for both health security and infrastructure safety.
In terms of infrastructure, Zurich came out on top while Singapore was also rated best for personal safety.
Digital security measured the quality of a city’s cyber security, the frequency of identity theft, and other factors related to digital security.
Innsbruck? What region does it represent? Tyrol? I wonder how many people outside of Europe knows what Tyrol means.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:09 AM

667 posts, read 940,405 times
I was in Oman, Qatar, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore and felt quite safe in all of them. I am sure many more countries are pretty safe in Asia (Central Asian "stans", China, South Korea, Mongolia, Iran, UAE, Japan, Laos, even Indionesia...)
But there are also Iraq, Yemen, Syria, Afghanistan which are some of the most dangerous places on this planet at the moment. Israel, being quite developed, is not exactly safe either. Lebanon, Pakistan, Philippines..
So Asia is really a continent of contrasts in terms of safety.
But I think many countries, maybe the most of them actually, are overall safer than Africa and Latin America.
Actually I think Myanmar is quite safe. Why do you guys think it is not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World