Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:47 PM

733 posts, read 603,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
What about Tokyo? Wouldn't that be considered the other Silicon Valley?
No ,it's not.

Tokyo is more like NYC and DC combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:22 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,771 times
Where is Europe's Silicon Valley?

Old 07-16-2016, 02:35 AM

733 posts, read 603,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Where is Europe's Silicon Valley?
Seattle?

Old 07-28-2017, 08:39 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
This thread is 16 months old and I've still never heard of a successful start up from Berlin.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
How exactly are these representatives quantifying these collective actions of technological paid work? Then after this main initial question, accumulation of these resources to enact a solid standard for what are further Silicon Valleys happening everywhere in this galaxy. Is there equal alliance to start up or major companies? Only exclusively paying attention to computers? Airplanes, Cars, even Science or Architecture. At this point of my life, I am opting out for areas of mainland Europe or Asia with less suburban, avoiding geography isolation, foreign international exposure, plural rather than singular types outside of a monopoly.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:26 PM

41 posts, read 49,679 times
Been to Hamburg and Munich before. From what I know of the valley, I'd take Germany any day. Continental Europe is really neat in that it's largely urban, fairly cosmopolitan and often affluent but isn't anywhere near as stressful or congested as urban United States - infinitely more stable and calm. SF/Oakland metro is far more competitive for me than the valley.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADriver14 View Post
Berlin, the capital of Germany, is considered Europe's Silicon Valley with thousands of start-ups, hundreds of super cool night clubs and bars, parks, lakes, perfect public transportation, and high walkability score. German beer is $1USD per bottle. German sausage is the best in the world. Rent for 2-bedroom apartment in Berlin is around $1,200 Euro, equivalent to $1,350 USD. Rent in San Francisco and Silicon Valley for 2-bedroom apartment is $3,500 USD to $5,000 USD.

I believe Germany has a special program similar to "Green Card" for highly-skilled foreign professionals.

For the young American IT professionals who can't afford San Francisco or Silicon Valley, is Berlin a better choice? What's the catch?
There are so many "catches". Let's just walk thru this.

First think to yourself, no cheating and looking...what innovations or SaaS apps that anyone has ever heard of, have come from this hotbed of activity?

Second are you aware that its nearly impossible for a non-native speaker to succeed in German business? Foreign workers will always be viewed as second-tier and at a huge disadvantage in corporate politics/social circles.

Third...the equity practices that have made a lot of SV people millionaires do not really exist in Germany, with their confiscatory high taxes and low growth model. What Berlin hasn't got is the VC community that powers Silicon Valley. More than 3/4 ventures are not funded locally - a huge impediment to ever having an organic culture of innovation like SV.

Fourth, the quintessentially "Valley-ish" VC culture and business practices are very much at odds with Germany's labor laws and business regulations - totally aside from the economic end of it. Can you name a successful American company that shuts down for more than half of the summer? Or can you think of an amazing tech success story founded by a bunch of clock punchers who don't take work home with them?

So, overcome all these "objections", and then you're onto something - the NEXT Silicon Valley!

Old 02-22-2018, 11:49 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADriver14 View Post
Thank you NOLA and Lukas for your insight about how the mortgage system works in Germany.

Another reason why more than half of German population are renters is Europeans, and especially Germans love to travel. They would rather spend money traveling the world, than buying big houses or big cars like Americans.
Europeans are not sacrificing home ownership in exchange for travel.

The cost of travel is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of buying and maintaining a house. In many places, house and car prices are even a larger proportion of one's income than they are in the US, and travel is often much cheaper for Europeans.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:29 PM

502 posts, read 392,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
There are so many "catches". Let's just walk thru this.

First think to yourself, no cheating and looking...what innovations or SaaS apps that anyone has ever heard of, have come from this hotbed of activity?

Second are you aware that its nearly impossible for a non-native speaker to succeed in German business? Foreign workers will always be viewed as second-tier and at a huge disadvantage in corporate politics/social circles.

Third...the equity practices that have made a lot of SV people millionaires do not really exist in Germany, with their confiscatory high taxes and low growth model. What Berlin hasn't got is the VC community that powers Silicon Valley. More than 3/4 ventures are not funded locally - a huge impediment to ever having an organic culture of innovation like SV.

Fourth, the quintessentially "Valley-ish" VC culture and business practices are very much at odds with Germany's labor laws and business regulations - totally aside from the economic end of it. Can you name a successful American company that shuts down for more than half of the summer? Or can you think of an amazing tech success story founded by a bunch of clock punchers who don't take work home with them?

So, overcome all these "objections", and then you're onto something - the NEXT Silicon Valley!
I'd rather enjoy my life than chase an illusion of wealth my whole life. Or worse just struggle to get by my whole life, which is what many Americans end up doing.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:17 PM

839 posts, read 735,278 times
London is the largest tech cluster in Europe

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World