Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 02:55 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,689 times

Advertisements

Alright here are the criteria:

Buildings: high tech, green energy, automated, next level architecture
Public transportation: easy, paperless, efficient
access to tech: 5g, facial recognition, super fast internet, cheap gadgets
pioneer: how much innovated cool stuff is being done in the city
wow factor: self-explanatory

lets do a top 5:
Mine:
1- Singapore
2- Shenzhen
3 - Tokyo
4 - Seoul
5 - Hong Kong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 06:58 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Probably the top would be Asian cities: Tokyo and Singapore. Then Shanghai, Hong Kong, and maybe Seul.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:59 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
I agree. Asian cities would definitely top this list.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:09 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:53 AM

330 posts, read 293,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I second this

Old 12-30-2019, 09:02 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Yes, Asia-

But while I don't think any Americas cities save for possibly Vancouver or Curitiba/Brasilia would even be in the discussion, don't rule out Europe here, since some of the things we are talking about are green energy, public transit, access to tech, pioneering.

I would posit that London, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Munich and Oslo should be getting mentions here at least, though I guess it's more difficult to evaluate how they would compare on size/scale standpoint.

Even though Dubai isn't there from the green/progressive etc. stuff, I feel like it deserves mention at least too, possibly Bangalore? I don't know a lot about Bangalore.

I'd agree with posters mentioning Tokyo and Hong Kong, though I wouldn't sleep on Beijing necessarily either.. I'm curious on how people think that Shanghai, Shenzhen, Seoul and Singapore compare-I'd agree with the other poster though, I think overall, Singapore probably wins-with Tokyo 2nd.

IMO-Washington DC feels the most modern to me on these levels of any American city.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:38 AM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Yes, Asia-

But while I don't think any Americas cities save for possibly Vancouver or Curitiba/Brasilia would even be in the discussion, don't rule out Europe here, since some of the things we are talking about are green energy, public transit, access to tech, pioneering.

I would posit that London, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Munich and Oslo should be getting mentions here at least, though I guess it's more difficult to evaluate how they would compare on size/scale standpoint.

Even though Dubai isn't there from the green/progressive etc. stuff, I feel like it deserves mention at least too, possibly Bangalore? I don't know a lot about Bangalore.

I'd agree with posters mentioning Tokyo and Hong Kong, though I wouldn't sleep on Beijing necessarily either.. I'm curious on how people think that Shanghai, Shenzhen, Seoul and Singapore compare-I'd agree with the other poster though, I think overall, Singapore probably wins-with Tokyo 2nd.

IMO-Washington DC feels the most modern to me on these levels of any American city.
I agree with those cities, especially in Asia. Tokyo always made me feel like I traveled in to the future. The other Asian cities you mentioned might be even more advanced than Tokyo, particularly Singapore, Shanghai, and Seoul.

I agree with DC but I'd also add San Francisco, Seattle, and even LA and NYC for certain things. Meanwhile, Atlanta is said to be the exact opposite and most behind the times, lol.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:59 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
What kinds of modern things are prevalent in these cities that you won’t notice in New York City?

What really sticks out?

Old 01-01-2020, 09:03 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What kinds of modern things are prevalent in these cities that you won’t notice in New York City?

What really sticks out?
The cities mentioned are a lot cleaner then New York and tend to handle public transportation a lot better. That's especially true for Singapore and Tokyo.

Old 01-04-2020, 02:07 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 5 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Are they only mainland Asian cities? I doubt that. Although, they might comprise a solid majority. Especially in the recent. Is the modernity to Architecture, Urban Planning, or also to the technology present in any region? These measures of power have equal alliance. And throughout the entire stage of variety. In Europe, Middle East, Oceania, Americas, other than the first Continent that people may have in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World