Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

there should be a spring and fall Olympics too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
And then Americans wonder why they aren't liked and throw up a hissy fit about it. Anyway, i think that the sports system in a few countries such as China and the USA are unhealthy, it may not get us as many medal but i prefer the Western European system where the formation of athletes is left to private institutions instead than by the state throughout high schools and colleges. It means that the average citizen spends a much lower amount on something that matters little such as competitive sports rather than basic needs such as healthcare, unemployment, ecc.

As an aside, sports must only be taken for entertainment and athletes mustn't be idolized. The average sports fan would end up being disappointed if he knew which kind of substances most of the competitors made use of. Sportsmen who are supposed to be squeaky clean are beating the records of athletes who made use of performances enhancing drugs, how can people blindly believe in them and their integrity? I'll make an example: Usain Bolt has beaten the likes of Asafa Powell and Justin Gatlin most times yet these two athletes tested positive for doping. How can anyone with the straight face believe in Bolt?
I don't understand what you are saying here, people don't like the Americans because how sport obsessed they are, or how successful they are in these games. I know many reasons why other countries may not like us, but in context of this subject could you please clarify.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 PM

820 posts, read 954,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I mean, I know we're awesome and all but gold after gold after gold, it gets tiring at some point. Seriously, other countries need to step up, we're winning wrestling, swimming, volleyball, soccer(!!!), gymnastics, and literally everything else. I'm just in awe at how amazing we are, that's all.
That's funny because I was thinking exactly the opposite..

It is incredible to see a country (USA) with a such sport culture being so bad at the Olympic Games. (same for China). How bad they are !

USA = 318 million people (40 medals with 16 gold medals)
UK+Germany+France+Italy = 268 million people (54 medals with 18 gold medals)

Europ is and always will be the best !

Old 08-12-2016, 01:08 PM

733 posts, read 603,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post

It is incredible to see a country (USA) with a such sport culture being so bad at the Olympic Games. (same for China). How bad they are !

China is weak when it comes to field and track for a reason we all know.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, the US has stepped its game up in the Winter Olympics. Finished 1st in the medal count in 2010 and 2nd in 2014. Far better than 1994 and 1998.
The US is the only country that goes by the actual medal count, rather than the weight of medals one. For example, 1 gold medal is better than 2 bronze.

So even though the US got more medals in 2010, they did not do the best.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:11 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I don't understand what you are saying here, people don't like the Americans because how sport obsessed they are, or how successful they are in these games. I know many reasons why other countries may not like us, but in context of this subject could you please clarify.
Boasting about winning the highest number of medals without taking into account that other countries have a higher ratio of medal per inhabitant (look at Amaro's post for example).

PS: The USA sports system seems to have its own pros and cons and i don't know enough to talk about it and neither do i know enough about the relationships between the average American and sports. My only critique came about how the funding of sports programmes in high schools and colleges is privileged over more basic needs

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-22-2016 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 08-12-2016, 01:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
You're acting like we don't perform in the winter olympics...
We came in 4th in 2014, 3rd in 2010, and 2nd in 2006....
I didn't say that.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post

It is incredible to see a country (USA) with a such sport culture being so bad at the Olympic Games. (same for China)

You can't add all these countries up then compare them to the US, that won't be the right thing. These are all separate countries with their own government. The Olympic is all about individual countries and every country in Europe is competing against each other as well. Is France going to jump for joy if they were beaten by another European country. The US is doing fine so far, they are competing against the world best.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Boasting about winning the highest number of medals without taking into account that other countries have a higher ratio of medal per inhabitant (look at Amaro's post for example). Also, this is the same user who resorts to nationalistic remarks and keeps speaking about European politics without knowing anything about them.

PS: The USA sports system seems to have its own pros and cons and i don't know enough to talk about it and neither do i know enough about the relationships between the average American and sports. My only critique came about how the funding of sports programmes in high schools and colleges is privileged over more basic needs
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:21 PM

820 posts, read 954,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You can't add all these countries up then compare them to the US, that won't be the right thing. These are all separate countries with their own government. The Olympic is all about individual countries and every country in Europe is competing against each other as well. Is France going to jump for joy if they were beaten by another European country. The US is doing fine so far, they are competing against the world best.
Even proportionally (population country by country) the USA is not doing fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World