Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Lucky you...

---

BTW, Urania, putting pasta into a cold bowl of water and wait for it to boil must be some urban legend. Does someone really do that? That can't be.
Ha, ha. It's actually one of my favourite types of North American style pizza. The best though is a Margherita Pizza done the thin crust Italian way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 10:27 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
For Italy it is really hard to answer. Probably the all of you know that in average we are really proud of our food-wine etc... Practically every single municipality has some food specialty (the most of which are practically unknown outside their region), and every recipe has at least one estimator that claims it to be the best in the world.

On youtube there is a whole series of videos about recipes "world vs Italy" (they are really ironic, so don't get offended. There are English subtitles, if you don't see them try to look for them among the video's options)

[youtube]bEGbrroJM0E[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGbrroJM0E[/url]

the video about pizza is funny too, it hasn't subtitles but it is quite clear I think (in particular when they destroy the pineapple pizza as if it was some dangerous explosive remnants of war)
[youtube]rarPC0c_z7k[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rarPC0c_z7k&t=14s[/url]

This one instead is from a movie:
[youtube]0MRVKHp0n0I[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRVKHp0n0I[/url]
translation under spoiler:
[SPOILER]The setting is a restaurant in Bergen, Norway. They say:
Customer: "so, make me understand: you went to Italy, you tried our cuisine and then you decided to open an Italian restaurant in here."
Owner: "yes"
Customer: "and, listen to me, how do you cook these spaghetti?"
Owner: "you take water, you add pasta, you turn on the stove, 30 minutes, and voilà!
Customer: "and think that I made the water boil instead, think about how moron I am!" (*sarcastic*)
Owner: "after this, do you want something else?"
Customer: "yes, a screwdriver and a ladder"

*cut-scene*

Owner: (*worried*) "what is he doing???"
(the girl tries to calm him down)
Customer: "F*uck you! [...] Don't write Italy in vain! You viking! You are a viking!"
Owner: "but what is he doing???"
Girl: "no, Checco, no!"
[/SPOILER]

Talking about me, talking about the whole country I would say pasta too. I know that it is really banal, but after the overcooked pasta I was served as a side dish when in France I seriously start to think that some foreigners have some problem with it (I'm not saying everyone outside Italy can't cook pasta, but some do. On the other hand, even in Italy you can eat really bad pasta).
Omg, some Brazilians put mayo and even ketchup and mustard on their pizza! I just can't. I won't even try it, it just feels so wrong. Lol

Old 12-18-2016, 04:54 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
Quote:
I lolled at the dramatic pinapple meltdown. Over here you can start a quarrel which lasts for 10 years (actually, it has been over 20 now) if it's acceptable to put pineapple in pizza.
In here it is not, but sincerely pineapples on pizza are not my first problem. I just have to order a pizza with anything else but pineapple over it. The alternative ways for cooking pasta are harder to avoid instead...

Quote:
Lucky you...

---

BTW, Urania, putting pasta into a cold bowl of water and wait for it to boil must be some urban legend. Does someone really do that? That can't be.
Some months ago there was a huge scandal for a carbonara pasta recipe made like that in a youtube video.
Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYV3zfG2lb0

there are even articles in English about this: Outrage in Italy over France's 'awful' reinvention of Carbonara

Another think that we are usual suspicious about are the one pot pasta recipes (also, a lot of "one pot" recipes actually start with pasta put into cold water)...

here there is Marta Stewart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09smBNps4EM
(apart the method, why so much onion and garlic? I have never seen onions and garlic in the same sauce, and the quantities are just exaggerated...)

here there is the one by Michelle Obama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm15suv4u1A
Let’s Cook One-Pot Pasta like The First Lady of Food: Michelle Obama !

^this recipe caused a little scandal too, but in that case there was a translation error too. Our newspapers said "she cooked pasta into a pressure cooler for 30 minutes", that for us sounds like the procedure for making industrial glue more than a pasta recipe.

Other examples:
Cook Pasta with Cold Water and a Frying Pan for a Quick Dinner and an Easy Sauce
https://www.google.it/webhp?sourceid...+pasta+recipes

Old 12-18-2016, 10:04 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
In here it is not, but sincerely pineapples on pizza are not my first problem. I just have to order a pizza with anything else but pineapple over it. The alternative ways for cooking pasta are harder to avoid instead...

Some months ago there was a huge scandal for a carbonara pasta recipe made like that in a youtube video.
Here it is:

there are even articles in English about this: Outrage in Italy over France's 'awful' reinvention of Carbonara

Another think that we are usual suspicious about are the one pot pasta recipes (also, a lot of "one pot" recipes actually start with pasta put into cold water)...

here there is Marta Stewart:

(apart the method, why so much onion and garlic? I have never seen onions and garlic in the same sauce, and the quantities are just exaggerated...)

here there is the one by Michelle Obama:

Let’s Cook One-Pot Pasta like The First Lady of Food: Michelle Obama !

^this recipe caused a little scandal too, but in that case there was a translation error too. Our newspapers said "she cooked pasta into a pressure cooler for 30 minutes", that for us sounds like the procedure for making industrial glue more than a pasta recipe.

Other examples:
Cook Pasta with Cold Water and a Frying Pan for a Quick Dinner and an Easy Sauce
https://www.google.it/webhp?sourceid...+pasta+recipes
I completely understand the outrage in the first method.

The one-pot pasta is something I haven't heard of, at least in that form. Interesting concept, but I think I'll stick to the old ways.

The onion thing must be a North-South cultural divide. We put onion in everything. I mean EVERYTHING. And preferrably garlic too. If I'd done carbonara yesterday, I'd do it with onion without remembering/realising that it doesn't belong there at all.

But how about, would you eat this? http://www.kotikokki.net/media/cache...jpg?1297441020

It's called 'Italian stew', which is obviously not Italian at all, but Finnish.

You fry minced meat, onion and garlic, put in crushed tomatos, tomato purée, beef broth, water and spices. Then you do a terrible thing which is break the spaghetti, and put it in the boiling stuff. Add freezed paprika-corn-pea mixture and serve.
Might sound like an abomination, but is actually very good and real quick to do.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:19 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
But how about, would you eat this? http://www.kotikokki.net/media/cache...jpg?1297441020.
No. I think it looks gross. Sorry.

And to answer OP's question...there's like, a lot of stuff. Shredded ice (or shaved ice mountain...what a stupid name), braised pork rice, bubble tea, scallion pancake, breakfast, three cup chicken, the dumplings etc.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:26 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,322 times
Potato salad and black bread.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I completely understand the outrage in the first method.

The one-pot pasta is something I haven't heard of, at least in that form. Interesting concept, but I think I'll stick to the old ways.

The onion thing must be a North-South cultural divide. We put onion in everything. I mean EVERYTHING. And preferrably garlic too. If I'd done carbonara yesterday, I'd do it with onion without remembering/realising that it doesn't belong there at all.

But how about, would you eat this? http://www.kotikokki.net/media/cache...jpg?1297441020

It's called 'Italian stew', which is obviously not Italian at all, but Finnish.

You fry minced meat, onion and garlic, put in crushed tomatos, tomato purée, beef broth, water and spices. Then you do a terrible thing which is break the spaghetti, and put it in the boiling stuff. Add freezed paprika-corn-pea mixture and serve.
Might sound like an abomination, but is actually very good and real quick to do.
ahm... My dad would probably use his famous philosophy over this: there is a difference between "mangiare" (intended as "eat because you like it") and "nutrirsi" ("eat for not starve to death").
So the answer to "would you eat this?" is: it depends on how much hungry I am.

Actually we do have some recipes that have more questionable ingredients than those(*), but the " break the spaghetti" part is really painful. And consider that I am from the Alpine region, and so that my ancestor didn't eat any pasta before the 50s. For us it is not a tradition.
For a person from central or southern Italy whose pasta recipe were passed from a generation to the following one for centuries it is much much much worse (in fact the people who made the video in which they blow up the pineapple pizza are from Naples, not Turin).

(*first example of a dish with pasta with strong tastes, that probably not everyone will like. Pasta e fagioli = pasta and beans, it is some kind of pasta (that depends on the region) cooked into a thick beans soup.
https://www.google.it/search?q=pasta...dkLKDQv0Q5M%3A )

Old 12-18-2016, 11:17 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
ahm... My dad would probably use his famous philosophy over this: there is a difference between "mangiare" (intended as "eat because you like it") and "nutrirsi" ("eat for not starve to death").
So the answer to "would you eat this?" is: it depends on how much hungry I am.

Actually we do have some recipes that have more questionable ingredients than those(*), but the " break the spaghetti" part is really painful. And consider that I am from the Alpine region, and so that my ancestor didn't eat any pasta before the 50s. For us it is not a tradition.
For a person from central or southern Italy whose pasta recipe were passed from a generation to the following one for centuries it is much much much worse (in fact the people who made the video in which they blow up the pineapple pizza are from Naples, not Turin).

(*first example of a dish with pasta with strong tastes, that probably not everyone will like. Pasta e fagioli = pasta and beans, it is some kind of pasta (that depends on the region) cooked into a thick beans soup.
https://www.google.it/search?q=pasta...dkLKDQv0Q5M%3A )
Yes, I understand. Meanwhile, the Nordic countries don't have an established cuisine passing down generation after generation. We are very quick to adapt to new influences and ingredients, and have no stigma in experimenting with pretty much everything. People here eat very differently from 100 years ago.

Pasta with beans is not an unknown concept here, but it's usually made as a souplike stuff. But Italian, especially Southern Italian, cuisine is very popular in Finland, and unlike the stuff above, most people try to stay true to the original recipe.

But oh, if only Italians would be as serious about other things except fashion and food. Like the economy, society and bureaucracy...

Old 12-18-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand. Meanwhile, the Nordic countries don't have an established cuisine passing down generation after generation. We are very quick to adapt to new influences and ingredients, and have no stigma in experimenting with pretty much everything. People here eat very differently from 100 years ago.

Pasta with beans is not an unknown concept here, but it's usually made as a souplike stuff. But Italian, especially Southern Italian, cuisine is very popular in Finland, and unlike the stuff above, most people try to stay true to the original recipe.

But oh, if only Italians would be as serious about other things except fashion and food. Like the economy, society and bureaucracy...
I have the impression that we have a lot of really skilled individuals, who take their job and believes really seriously (food, art, handicraft...), but then we have some serious problem when we try to put those abilities together. Economy, society, economy... are all based on collaboration and collective thinking, but in here the politicians & co tend to be really selfish and to only care about their business. Consequenced are evident to everyone.

This is just my interpretation, so that I'm not an expert in these topics I can't say it is the best interpretation.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Canada is too big and varied to say one dish is done the best here. It is very regional and best is so subjective, so I'll go with what food reviewers tend to focus on here in the Vancouver area, and that is Asian, mainly Chinese. It is some of the best outside of China. Authentic with most if not all types of Chinese cuisine featured.

Seafood as well, although I don't eat seafood, apparently the freshness here is good...but that can be said of most seaside places...so best....hmm. Not sure.

For local dishes....well there is a dessert that is very popular and was started here in the town of Nanaimo. The Nanaimo Bar.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World