Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 05:22 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Of course taste is subjective so this is opinion, there is no right or wrong on what someone likes best so I hope the thread doesn't degenerate into food snobbery *cough* Neapolitan pizza purists *cough* where what someone else likes best can't be right. Also not interested in historical claims about what country invented something, I'm talking about where and how it is commonly cooked and served today.

USA = ribs

I love ribs so can't resist trying them wherever we go, and I've yet to find anything close to ribs cooked in the USA. I don't even care that much about the style, I'll take anything from St Louis spares to Memphis rub to sweet KC, anything and all is better than what I've found served overseas. I'd say the second best I had was grilled pork ribs in the Philippines. Another great thing about ribs = often the best comes from relatively modest sources. Rib shack instead of fine dining.

I'm tempted to throw steaks in the bucket too, I know some people rave about Argentinian/Chilean steaks but I've had 'em and prefer a nice grain fed dry aged bone-in rib eye from USA. X-factor here is the whole Japanese steak thing, I've seen 'em on menus everywhere and in markets in Japan but have never tried so maybe they do steaks better I have no idea. Biggest disappointment for me has been steaks in France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 08:52 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Of course taste is subjective so this is opinion, there is no right or wrong on what someone likes best so I hope the thread doesn't degenerate into food snobbery *cough* Neapolitan pizza purists *cough* where what someone else likes best can't be right. Also not interested in historical claims about what country invented something, I'm talking about where and how it is commonly cooked and served today.

USA = ribs

I love ribs so can't resist trying them wherever we go, and I've yet to find anything close to ribs cooked in the USA. I don't even care that much about the style, I'll take anything from St Louis spares to Memphis rub to sweet KC, anything and all is better than what I've found served overseas. I'd say the second best I had was grilled pork ribs in the Philippines. Another great thing about ribs = often the best comes from relatively modest sources. Rib shack instead of fine dining.

I'm tempted to throw steaks in the bucket too, I know some people rave about Argentinian/Chilean steaks but I've had 'em and prefer a nice grain fed dry aged bone-in rib eye from USA. X-factor here is the whole Japanese steak thing, I've seen 'em on menus everywhere and in markets in Japan but have never tried so maybe they do steaks better I have no idea. Biggest disappointment for me has been steaks in France.
even tho it isn't kobe/waygu,,,the u s has well marbled grain finished beef-widespread,,,,,much of Europe and Australia has mostly grass fed beef...that doesn't get the marbling as grain-fed

maine lobsters/north atlantic lobsters are a delicacy to me...my favorite food

Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 PM

483 posts, read 417,998 times
Anthony Bourdain once said..
If he could bring something from his food travels to US, he would bring a hawker center (like in Singapore) to US.

Singapore does lots of things best..
From noodle dishes to crabs, from buffets (best most glorious international buffet probably in the world, IMO), to Asian seafood dishes.. from stirfried dinner dishes to satays, from international variety desserts to bake goods..

SG, the most convenient melting pot that you can find many different culture dishes in a concentrated location (small country)..
So from Fine French, to Korean BBQ, Japanese to Thai Mookota, from Singapore style hot pot to China Chinese types or Taiwanese shacha kind, or the spicey Szechuan.. from Malay foods to Vietnamese.. Italian to American continental, etc..

SG have it and due to competition, bring out da best!!!

Old 12-11-2016, 06:12 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
Anthony Bourdain once said..
If he could bring something from his food travels to US, he would bring a hawker center (like in Singapore) to US.

Singapore does lots of things best..
From noodle dishes to crabs, from buffets (best most glorious international buffet probably in the world, IMO), to Asian seafood dishes.. from stirfried dinner dishes to satays, from international variety desserts to bake goods..

SG, the most convenient melting pot that you can find many different culture dishes in a concentrated location (small country)..
So from Fine French, to Korean BBQ, Japanese to Thai Mookota, from Singapore style hot pot to China Chinese types or Taiwanese shacha kind, or the spicey Szechuan.. from Malay foods to Vietnamese.. Italian to American continental, etc..

SG have it and due to competition, bring out da best!!!

I believe he is trying to do just that at Chelsea Piers on NYC's West Side. It is slated to open some time next year. We'll see if he can pull it off. I'm hopeful.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:51 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
We already have a similar thread going in Food and Drink about the US. This thread was moved to the World Forum, after being started, to capture replies from around the World.

Food and Drink Moderator

Old 12-11-2016, 07:50 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
Stuffing! lol

Old 12-11-2016, 08:16 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
USA: pizza. No, seriously. American style pizza, poled high with meat and cheese. My friends form overseas always want to go out for American pizza.

The entire Thanksgiving feast. But to be fair, we did have a really big head start on that one.

My friends also always want an American restaurant breakfast: omelet, toast, hash browns, bacon sausage, and maybe pancakes, too.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:38 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Finland: blueberry pie.

(I could say meatballs, but that is quite controversial.)

Old 12-11-2016, 08:57 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Poutine and Beaver Tails

Old 12-11-2016, 09:03 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
USA: pizza. No, seriously. American style pizza, poled high with meat and cheese. My friends form overseas always want to go out for American pizza.

The entire Thanksgiving feast. But to be fair, we did have a really big head start on that one.

My friends also always want an American restaurant breakfast: omelet, toast, hash browns, bacon sausage, and maybe pancakes, too.
American breakfast is the best! I love going to old school diners to get these breakfasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World