Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:32 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,655,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Why would Europeans (Not a single country you know, very varied, lots of different opinions and points of view) be jealous of the United States? A country where its social problems are way worst than any European or Western nation. Especially now with Trump as President.

Seeing from the answers here on CD I start to agree with Lukas about certain Americans.
I explained my reasons for that in the post that you quoted. I have no intention of repeating them here.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:31 AM

37 posts, read 42,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Thank you. So many times people have said that Americans should learn about other places and don't make assumptions. Or that not everyone worships us. Both of these are valid points.

However, then when we inquire, we get criticized for worrying about what everyone else thinks of us LOL. Just no pleasing some people.
It's not about presenting yourself as Americans

I know your country and you're a racially infatuated nation, most Americans have a very hard time understanding the world beyond the superficial concept of race.... aspects such as culture, history are completely irrelevant to the American experience, US created race labels are truly what defines the way Americans see the world.

This is why questions such as.....
I AM WHITE, WILL I BE SAFE IN MEXICO CITY? pop up often!! (As if Mexico City wasn't full of European, white Americans tourists and even white Mexican people)

Sometimes you see forums with American men asking how the women in Asia will react when they see them because they're white and American! (As if they were expecting people to worship them just because they're white and American), then they go to Asia and get disappointed about the fact Asian women dont throw themselves at them just based on the fact they're white Americans.

Trust me blacks from America do it too.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:25 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,054,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuck View Post
It's not about presenting yourself as Americans

I know your country and you're a racially infatuated nation, most Americans have a very hard time understanding the world beyond the superficial concept of race.... aspects such as culture, history are completely irrelevant to the American experience, US created race labels are truly what defines the way Americans see the world.

This is why questions such as.....
I AM WHITE, WILL I BE SAFE IN MEXICO CITY? pop up often!! (As if Mexico City wasn't full of European, white Americans tourists and even white Mexican people)

Sometimes you see forums with American men asking how the women in Asia will react when they see them because they're white and American! (As if they were expecting people to worship them just because they're white and American), then they go to Asia and get disappointed about the fact Asian women dont throw themselves at them just based on the fact they're white Americans.

Trust me blacks from America do it too.
Funny stuff. You're always making stuff up, Irene. Being that you are Colombian, you must watch telenovelas and see how light skinned people are portrayed vs indigenous peoples. It plays out in real life too, in a magnitude that the US could never approach. Latin Americans can be very race obsessed, especially the aristocracy.

Do you have any links to threads where people were concerned that people would react to their whiteness?

Asking about how one will be treated in a foreign land is not uniquely American at all. Novice travelers ask about it all the time.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:08 AM

984 posts, read 1,316,695 times
I feel badly for most travelling Americans as they are grouped as a nation and anti-Americanism is always in fashion no matter where you go just some times more than others. The US foreign policy is always being reflected upon the traveller and totally unfairly.

In Canada it's extremely common almost to the point of being the norm that when a Canadians is travelling outside Canada or the US, they have something on the baggage signifying that they are Canadians. It's not that they want to shove Canada down anyone's throat but rather they don't want to be confused as being an Americans. Americans are uniformly are the least welcomed and worse treated people no matter where they go. When someone finds out you are Canadian and not American overseas you get a totally different reaction from the locals. The Canadian could be a dick and the American super-nice but that doesn't matter, the American will be treated much worse.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:17 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,420,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post

In Canada it's extremely common almost to the point of being the norm that when a Canadians is travelling outside Canada or the US, they have something on the baggage signifying that they are Canadians. It's not that they want to shove Canada down anyone's throat but rather they don't want to be confused as being an Americans. Americans are uniformly are the least welcomed and worse treated people no matter where they go. When someone finds out you are Canadian and not American overseas you get a totally different reaction from the locals. The Canadian could be a dick and the American super-nice but that doesn't matter, the American will be treated much worse.
Can you give some specific example of where Americans are treated poorly? I have never seen this any where I have traveled.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:30 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,982,691 times
Quote:
I feel badly for most travelling Americans as they are grouped as a nation and anti-Americanism is always in fashion no matter where you go just some times more than others. The US foreign policy is always being reflected upon the traveller and totally unfairly.

I'm a British citizen and if I say i'm Irish (especially in America) their whole demeanor softens. Sometimes if it's a shop they'll give me things free/give me vouchers..

Last edited by GymFanatic; 12-20-2016 at 04:40 AM..

Old 12-20-2016, 05:28 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,054,131 times
Quote:

This is garbage. I have never been made to feel unwelcome in anyplace that I have traveled. Perhaps you're projecting how you'd like Americans to be treated, but it's certainly not reality. On the contrary, many times people have been nicer to me. Happens in Holland and several places in Latin America.

OTH, waiters in Florida have a running joke. What's the difference between a canoe and a Canadian? A canoe tips.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:42 AM

997 posts, read 884,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuck View Post
This is a question I see over and over and over everywhere

Americans asking:
If I go to X place will I fit in? I am blonde with blue eyes!!

I am black will they look down on me if I go to Y place??

Should I tell people I am an American when I visit so and so??

Why this question?

No one cares (I've been all over the world and most people dont even bother to ask where the strangers they come across come from!!!!)

Much less they care to know if you're an American or not!!

The normal reaction people outside the US have when they meet an American, it's the normal reaction Americans have in NYC when they see a tourist from Canada. Nothing in particular!!!

What makes Americans think their presence and nationality will cause some sort of admiration/reaction on strangers in other countries?
I think it really only make sense in middle eastern or Muslim countries where Americans have had recently wars.

But I understand what Americans are on this way
First - Their country is racially divided so they think the World is
The first tip I give for Americans in Brazil is that they must have the same care they have being white in a black area in USA they must have to similar attitude having apparent affluence in ghetto areas in Brazil. The problem here is not the race but the money.

Second – Yes many people is fascinated with famous nationality specially because they have Hollywood showing in movies a wonderful America… so for one average American Joe have some foreigner interested in them because they are American is a unique experience in their lives!!

I know that because with Brazilians there is a similar attitude Brazilians being a ‘’exotic’’ and famous nationality many people abroad stand very interested in us when Brazilians tell the nationality, especially in countries when Brazilians immigrants is not common.
Western Europeans have contact with people from whole world all the time but in most part the world people born and pass away without meet foreigner or travel abroad or travel out their birthplace.
For you have idea in deep areas of countryside Brazil YET NOWADAYS being from a famous state like São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro make you a celebrity in that small city imagine someone speaking a different language.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:54 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,298,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, don't take C-D to be reality. It's a warped view.

That said, though, there have been periods when some sectors of foreign populations were angry at the US due to its politics, so US citizens felt the need to hide their nationality. You could just as easily ask why Canadians feel the need to sew a maple leaf flag to their backpacks. They want to make sure they're not mistaken for Americans.
It says a lot about some people that they are not proud of who they are but rather who they are not.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 12-20-2016 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-20-2016, 07:49 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,982,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
I think it really only make sense in middle eastern or Muslim countries where Americans have had recently wars.

But I understand what Americans are on this way
First - Their country is racially divided so they think the World is
The first tip I give for Americans in Brazil is that they must have the same care they have being white in a black area in USA they must have to similar attitude having apparent affluence in ghetto areas in Brazil. The problem here is not the race but the money.

Second – Yes many people is fascinated with famous nationality specially because they have Hollywood showing in movies a wonderful America… so for one average American Joe have some foreigner interested in them because they are American is a unique experience in their lives!!

I know that because with Brazilians there is a similar attitude Brazilians being a ‘’exotic’’ and famous nationality many people abroad stand very interested in us when Brazilians tell the nationality, especially in countries when Brazilians immigrants is not common.
Western Europeans have contact with people from whole world all the time but in most part the world people born and pass away without meet foreigner or travel abroad or travel out their birthplace.
For you have idea in deep areas of countryside Brazil YET NOWADAYS being from a famous state like São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro make you a celebrity in that small city imagine someone speaking a different language.
Really? There's countries in 2016 where you won't see any foreigners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.