Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:13 AM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
States that i'd be interested in moving to, include: Maryland, Masschuttes, New Jersey (maybe, a bit dumpy imo), New York, Florida, Conneticut and Virginia. I wouldn't want to move somewhere where the living standards are worse than my home country. So the state would have to be rich.
I live in Maryland, just north of DC. This is where I grew up, went to college, bought a home, etc... It's a pretty decent state and it also has considerable variation depending on where in the state you live.

Sometimes, I think of moving from here just to try something different. But so far, the answer always comes back as "Nahh". Maybe, I'm just lazy. :-)

Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM

957 posts, read 1,133,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
People say, Europe is the paradise for the lazy, America is the paradise for the hardworkin. Simplistic, but not totally wrong.

But that does not mean that Europeans aren't hardworking, it just means that some people have to earn the money that is redistributed to others for doing nothing. And this money is missing somewhere else for sure. Lazy union-workers with 35 working hours per week can only exist because these days large companies do hire few of them, and let the majority of work done by subcontractors with 40 or more working hours for half the salary. I use to work in consulting as an engineer and worked like 50++ anyways, so why not taking advantage of the U.S. system which is honouring that kind of effort instead of taking away half of the money? I never dreamed of working 40 or less.

keep dreaming this fantasy...
at this point in history USA are more full of lazy parasite banksters than Europe
and they have more social inequality than us, it's due to them you have to struggle to survive and live check by check, permanently on debt.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
These childish arguments will never go anywhere and are pointless. according to the wonderful experts here, any American who works 40+ hours will be considered an overworked stressed out person who has no vacation time what so ever. any European who works less than 39 or less hours is a lazy moocher who just sits at home on the computer complaining about immigrants... maybe we should stop embarrassing our selves and just let the Europeans who moved to the U.S tell us their stories, the thread topic you know

Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
The U.S. is not a place to succeed. It is a place where people are overworked to survive. America is struggling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
at this point in history USA are more full of lazy parasite banksters than Europe
and they have more social inequality than us, it's due to them you have to struggle to survive and live check by check, permanently on debt.
Wow i'm learning so much about my life by some strangers on the internet.

I'm overworked, live check by check and i am permanently in debt?

Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
I agree that USA has more social/income equality than Europe. But this was not my point. My point was, that if you are on the higher end of the income range in Europe, you could probably be better off in America, due to lower taxes and higher salaries. This is probably why many researchers and high-potentials from Europe move to America and not vice versa.

An old professor of mine explained it with a person jumping around. If you jump in Europe, you can not jump as high, because people always hold you back a bit, but you are safely caught when you fall down. In America, you can jump higher, nobody is holding you back, but if you fall down, then you are lying on the ground and nobody cares. But that already indicates that people who are good at jumping are better off in America, while people not good at jumping are better off in Europe.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I agree that USA has more social/income equality than Europe. But this was not my point. My point was, that if you are on the higher end of the income range in Europe, you could probably be better off in America, due to lower taxes and higher salaries. This is probably why many researchers and high-potentials from Europe move to America and not vice versa.

An old professor of mine explained it with a person jumping around. If you jump in Europe, you can not jump as high, because people always hold you back a bit, but you are safely caught when you fall down. In America, you can jump higher, nobody is holding you back, but if you fall down, then you are lying on the ground and nobody cares. But that already indicates that people who are good at jumping are better off in America, while people not good at jumping are better off in Europe.
You make sense. The lemming mentality of safety for life after education/training does only apply in some pockets and they have started figuring out that it is a thing of the past. You can move up and over. Been there done that.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:39 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Many people from Europe think the grass is greener in the US. I heard what happened to some one from Austria: he won the green card and decided he wanted to go live in the US. After he got the visa he went to the US and at some point had decided he wanted to live in Chicago of all places ... He was shocked by what he saw, went back to Austria after one week, gave up the green card, and never returned to the US. As some one who has seen lots of Chicago, I can understand although I kindoff like the roughness and grittiness of the rustbelt cities myself.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Many people from Europe think the grass is greener in the US. I heard what happened to some one from Austria: he won the green card and decided he wanted to go live in the US. After he got the visa he went to the US and at some point had decided he wanted to live in Chicago of all places ... He was shocked by what he saw, went back to Austria after one week, gave up the green card, and never returned to the US. As some one who has seen lots of Chicago, I can understand although I kindoff like the roughness and grittiness of the rustbelt cities myself.
They should of went to some suburb of a mid size Midwestern or western city if he wanted to experience the real/stereotypical American lifestyle, its the environment most Americans live in, even a place like Chicago seems foreign to a lot of us and no i'm not talking about E. St. Louis or Camden or Trenton i have a feeling you were gonna say that

Places like Surprise, AZ; W. Des Moines, IA; Overland Park, KS; Carmel, IN; etc...

Very quiet, wide open spaces, same if not a tad higher crime rate compared to what Western Europeans are used to, enjoy the convenience of big box stores and drive thru's everywhere but have to deal with the inconvenience of no public transportation which usually isn't a problem however since most people can afford a decent car here as long as you have a good credit score, also not to forget high school football on friday nights and county fairs

Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
So the United States has the highest level of economic and social mobility in the world? Please provide the relevant data.
Nope, it has the most opportunity for entrepreneurial minded people.

It's not a clock watcher's paradise though.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:54 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
The previous thread was closed because, well, trolling is prohibited. If you wanted to start a serious thread about this topic, it might have been left there, but judging by your OP it is clearly not the case.

In any case, how many US vs Europe threads do we already have on this forum? Past the first few pages, all these threads resemble each other. I don't think there's a need for yet another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World