Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 01:59 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
To each their own, but I don't associate Hong Kong with cool at all. The impressions I get from HK are mostly negative, like snob, grumpy, sad, crowded, materialistic, hectic, impatient, and there's barely any independent shops for anything. Chinese cities like Shanghai and Beijing are even worse. It's mind-boggling to me that anyone would call a place where your phone goes castrated the instant you set foot on their soil "cool". Not to mention the behaviours of the locals, horrifying.

But well I'm not a Westerner so (shrug). To me none of the cities in Asia are remotely cool, except for a handful of Japanese cities. Tokyo is definitely real cool.
I really love living in Hong Kong, but I have to agree. The city isn't particularly "cool", innovative or a trendsetter in any field.

When I first moved here, I was absolutely surprised by how major chains dominate the market. Obviously, smaller shops do exist, but you really have to look out for them.

That said, it's getting a little better. The new PMQ is certainly a step into the right direction and helps to promote young local designers. Before, they were literally invisible to the general public. "Boutiques" in SoHo or Sai Ying Pun were the gold standard, but these were really just small shops selling the same junk as anyone else.

Restaurants are a mixed bag. There are a lot of independent local restaurants, but they all serve the same Cantonese/HK-style food. Nothing wrong with that, but hardly "cool" or new. On the other side, there are restaurants that follow recent food trends in Europe or the US, but with a ridiculous price tag.

Hong Kong really shines when it comes to bars once you leave the popular bar areas. Super pricey, but okay. The club scene, on the other hand, is absolutely ridiculous. Even my hometown Linz has better options. And that tells a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 05:06 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
I would suppose that the ridiculous rent tore down a lot of the random, tiny places. From restaurants, coffee shops, to bookstores and other random places. To me Hong Kong is very inorganic this way.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:51 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What's wrong with prostitutes and sex shops?
At least in the US, they are ugly and tacky(sex shops). They attract wierdos. If there are prostitutes, there are drugged out people and crime in the same area. The areas end up being dirty and semi-abandoned.

I used to live in an area that was in the middle of being gentrified. It went from having hookers, sex shops to having nice restaurants, bars, coffee shops, art centers, interesting shops. The way it was before was gross.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I would say LA. Everyone I meet who is not from the US wants to visit LA. LA is a really neat city, I went there about 6 years ago and really enjoyed it. Tons to do and great weather. It's a very cool city.
Really? Most of us Californians avoid LA. Not that there is anything wrong with it, there is just so much traffic there. Just thinking of planning a trip there makes me tired. I even avoid flights out of that airport, I'd rather pay a couple hundred extra to NOT fly out of LA.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:05 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
No love for Amsterdam?

Old 04-29-2017, 11:23 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Lisbon is pretty cool. I like the fact that it doesn't cost you arms and legs for a nice meal, and the ambience in general is just very pleasant and laid back.

Montreal also seems quite cool, though I've never been there. I'd love to though, it feels like a very hip town with a nice balance between old and new.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Lisbon is pretty cool. I like the fact that it doesn't cost you arms and legs for a nice meal, and the ambience in general is just very pleasant and laid back.

Montreal also seems quite cool, though I've never been there. I'd love to though, it feels like a very hip town with a nice balance between old and new.
I love Lisbon, definitely a cool place. I haven't been to Montreal yet, need to go soon.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:17 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times
Quote:

Got back from Lisbon a few days ago and absolutely loved it. It's certainly a contender!

Old 04-29-2017, 03:12 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What's wrong with prostitutes and sex shops?
All the crime associated with it?

Old 04-29-2017, 03:36 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Paris
Rome
NYC/LA
London
Sydney
Dubai
Tokyo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World