Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:33 AM

179 posts, read 185,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
There is a mish mash of vocabulario, but even then 80% of words that even an educado and articulado English speaker use in a day are of origen germánico. All that pie chart shows is that English hoards words of foreign origen away in its diccionario just to take a few out on a rainy day to sound pomposo(like I do quite often).

Anyway, that a lenguaje is the suma of its vocabulario is falso.

I put in bold the equivalente words in Spanish.
Now I wrote it using Spanish words lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:20 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,528,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Spanish and Portuguese. They're supposed to be so closely related as to be mutually intelligible but they don't sound similar to me at all.
They aren't mutually intelligible. Portuguese speakers can understand more or less Spanish depending on the variety. The varieties spoken in Colombia and Mexico are the easiest to be understood, while Rioplatense is the hardest. Spanish from Madrid is in between.

On the other way, I notice that native spanish speakers in general don't understand Portuguese at all in the spoken form, unless they studied the language before.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:26 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
Dutch and Deutsch

Old 07-01-2017, 08:27 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
French and Italian.
Bot share more than 80% of cognates, but they are completely uninteligible. Moreover, even people who speak neither will easily tell each one apart.
I would say the same goes for French and Spanish.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:49 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
There is a mish mash of vocabulaire, but even then 80% of words that even an éduqué and articulé English speaker use in a day are of Germanique origine. All that pie chart shows is that English hoards words of forain origine away in its dictionnaire juste to take a few out on a rainy day to sound pompeux (like I do quite often).

Anyway, that a langage is the somme of its vocabulaire is faux.

I put in bold the équivalent words in French.
This doesn't prove that vocabulary indicates relationship, it only indicates proximity. So is Spanish closer to Arabic than French?

Old 07-01-2017, 09:50 AM

387 posts, read 380,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This doesn't prouve that vocabulaire indique relation, it only indique proximité. So is Spanish closer to Arabe than French?
I do not understand your questions, I just wanted to highlight that English is not 80% germanic as indicated by ABQConvict

Last edited by Bordeaux33; 07-01-2017 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 10:01 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,959 times
in regards to dutch, even their spelling looks really foreign!! consider the word afsluitdijk

Old 07-01-2017, 10:08 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There is a mish mash of vocabulary, but even then 80% of words that even an educated and articulate English speaker uses in a day are of Germanic origin. All that pie chart shows is that English hoards words of foreign origin away in its dictionaries just to take a few out on a rainy day to sound pompous (like I do quite often).

Anyway, that a language is the sum of its vocabulary is false.
Doesn't look like 80% on that chart to me, where did you get 80% from?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:25 AM

387 posts, read 380,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
in regards to dutch, even their spelling looks really foreign!! consider the word afsluitdijk
Au regard to dutch, even their spellôn (old french) looks réellement foraine!! considérant the word afsluitdijk

It's funny to find the similarités. English has a lot of Latin and French origine words.

Last edited by Bordeaux33; 07-01-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 11:17 AM

566 posts, read 504,169 times
Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian, Polish, Bulgarian, Slovak, Serbian, Montenegro, etc. all sound similar to non speakers, but they are different. Those who use Cyrillic(Greek) letters instead of Latin can read each language, and can figure out what is being said, but it's like Spanish and Italian, came from Latin but developed different dialects.
Polish use Latin as they are Catholic, but Polish, Ukrainian and Belorussian are closer to each other than to Russian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World