Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 AM

525 posts, read 454,012 times

Advertisements

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-mos...st-been-ranked

In 2016, an online survey (available only in English) was taken by over 100,000 people around the world. The survey asked participants to rank statements such as "I have concerned feelings for those who are less fortunate" and "I am satisfied with myself" (not sure what self-esteem has to do with empathy though). Below are the countries that scored the highest:

1. Ecuador
2. Saudi Arabia
3. Peru
4. Denmark
5. UAE
6. South Korea
7. US
8. Taiwan
9. Costa Rica
10. Kuwait

Seven of the bottom ten were in Eastern Europe, with the lowest ranking country being Lithuania. It should be noted that the survey only gives a screenshot of empathy levels at the time the survey was taken (I guess they're implying that average empathy levels are somewhat volatile?).

Did any of these surprise you? Personally, I was surprised to see SA ranked so highly and Scandinavia ranked so lowly. I also didn't expect big differences among western Anglo countries. In fact, I expected average empathy to be pretty constant around the world. Although I'm also not sure how much faith I can put into online, self-reported surveys anyway (or maybe I'm just not willing to get over my biases :P). What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:46 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
In 2016, an online survey (available only in English) was taken by over 100,000 people around the world. The survey asked participants to rank statements such as "I have concerned feelings for those who are less fortunate" and "I am satisfied with myself" (not sure what self-esteem has to do with empathy though). Below are the countries that scored the highest:

1. Ecuador
2. Saudi Arabia
3. Peru
4. Denmark
5. UAE
6. South Korea
7. US
8. Taiwan
9. Costa Rica
10. Kuwait
Sounds like a feel-good self-reporting load of crap. No offense.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
No offense OP but that's a stupid question they used to determine empathy.

Here's a real simple definition that I agree with.

Quote "Empathy is the experience of understanding another person's condition from their perspective. You place yourself in their shoes and feel what they are feeling. Empathy is known to increase prosocial (helping) behaviors." end Quote

https://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/empathy

Old 07-19-2017, 10:23 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Not surprised about UAE.
Actually no big surprises here, except I'd expect Italy, Vatican or Greece to rank very high.

I agree the researchers are strangely mixing satisfaction with empathy though, empathy is just imaging yourself in different situations ("would you feel pain or be happy given that an event N happens to you?"). Satisfaction with your current life is different thing, which is why they get low scores in Lituania or Russia, Ukraine etc.

The "study" is prone to researcher's bias, they seem desperate to show that "white peoples from eastern europe are evil" while the enemies of israel are "best peoples in the world"...

Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 AM

779 posts, read 596,233 times
If SA is up there then where is North Korea?

Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 AM

525 posts, read 454,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Not surprised about UAE.
Actually no big surprises here, except I'd expect Italy, Vatican or Greece to rank very high.

I agree the researchers are strangely mixing satisfaction with empathy though, empathy is just imaging yourself in different situations ("would you feel pain or be happy given that an event N happens to you?"). Satisfaction with your current life is different thing, which is why they get low scores in Lituania or Russia, Ukraine etc.

The "study" is prone to researcher's bias, they seem desperate to show that "white peoples from eastern europe are evil" while the enemies of israel are "best peoples in the world"...
True, but interestingly enough, Scandinavian countries rank the highest in life satisfaction, yet they didn't fare particularly well in this study. If they did, then I would have also come to the conclusion that this study is about satisfaction rather than empathy.

I also would have expected discrepancies in empathy (if any even exist in the first place) to be regional, rather than international, if that makes sense. But if you look at the top ten list, it ranges from Peru to Saudi Arabia to South Korea to the US.

Once again, I have my doubts about the study- hence the question mark in the thread title- but I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:27 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
^ It seems random enough to look as if they've really asked people at least...f I were to fake such study it will look kind of like this:

1. Tibet
2 Vatican
3. Israel
4. UAE
5. Monaco
6. Italy
7. Turkey
8. Lebanon
9. Czechia
10. India

Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
UAE and Saudi Arabia, LOL. It's where the rich ruling class exploits the workers and maids from poor countries without any mercy and empathy. Or does that only counts for people who are less fortunate and belong to my own class, religion or family?
That statistics seems like a big rubbish for me.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
True, but interestingly enough, Scandinavian countries rank the highest in life satisfaction, yet they didn't fare particularly well in this study. If they did, then I would have also come to the conclusion that this study is about satisfaction rather than empathy.

I also would have expected discrepancies in empathy (if any even exist in the first place) to be regional, rather than international, if that makes sense. But if you look at the top ten list, it ranges from Peru to Saudi Arabia to South Korea to the US.

Once again, I have my doubts about the study- hence the question mark in the thread title- but I wanted to see what everyone else thought.
A few of those countries on the list are very hierarchical in their social structure as well as authoritarian and those types of cultures really suck at empathy.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:07 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
One thing is saying you're empathetic another is acting upon it. Also that "empathy" may only stretch to their "own kind". I don't see Saudi Arabia wanting to help Syrians, Yemenis or Iranians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World