Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:05 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Japanese and Chinese have totally different accents when speaking English. Even different Chinese have very different accents. There is no "Eastern Asian" accent.
I know. I guess I should've been specific and instead put "Chinese/Vietnamese".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 05:26 PM

308 posts, read 237,661 times
I just LOVE Caribbean accents.My favourite islands are Barbados and Antigua for accents.Not so keen on Jamaican,half the problem is i dont know what theyre on about.

Also heard a Newfoundland accent,loved that as well

When i was in Central America i liked Nicaraguan and Salvadoran accents the best,though Salvadoran can be a bit hard to understand as they speak very quickly.Mexican accent nice as well.

Hungarians best Central/Eastern Europeans accent.

Not keen on south Asian accents,though some who have been here a long time talk like any other English person.

Thai accents are just awful,Chinese not much better

Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
I just LOVE Caribbean accents.My favourite islands are Barbados and Antigua for accents.Not so keen on Jamaican,half the problem is i dont know what theyre on about.
Me too... I love the English and French Creoles in the Caribbean. They have such a nice tone and cadence - very soothing to me. I lived in Antigua and Montserrat and I love the sound of the language there.

Another very nice sounding language is Papiamento - the Potuguese/Dutch/Spanish/English Creole they speak in Aruba and CuraƧao. That's probably my favorite accent.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:55 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Worst accents (no particular order)

Cantonese
Danish
Spanish
Puerto Rican
SoCal
Indian
Cockney
Scouse
Northern Irish
Andalucian
Rural southern US
Chilean

Best accents (also no order)

New York
Buenos Aires (porteno)
Italian
West African
South African
Polish
Colombian (except Bogota)
Venezuelan
Brazilian
Peruvian
Irish

Old 10-27-2017, 04:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
The Danish people I know all speak quite good English.

However, Danish is probably one of the most "exotic" language in Europe. Although the script looks similar to other Germanic languages especially Scandinavian languages, the pronunciation is totally off. For example "g" can be realized as a vowel. Who would have thought that?

Old 10-27-2017, 06:22 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Well... as I'm not a native speaker of English, although I can distinguish AmE and BrE, I will tell my perceptions of people speaking Portuguese, which is my native language....

Very good analysis. One could almost substitute "American English" for "Portuguese" in every point you make, indicating that accent has more to do with the speaker's native tongue than the one he is trying to communicate in.

I've always said that if Einstein had been from Alabama (apologies to Alabamians) we would have no atom bomb today-- nobody would have taken him seriously. Southern drawls just don't sound intelligent to us Yankees.

I'm not exactly fluent in Italian and my accent is combination of American & Sicilian- a reflection of my memories of my grandparents' speech, no doubt. When in Italy a while back, I got involved in a heated discussion over incorrect change at a gas station. Intimidated, the attendant called on the police to intervene. After some more discussion, the caribinieri took the attendant aside and said, "Just give in to him. Can't you see he's just one of those retarded Sicilians?"

Old 10-27-2017, 12:58 PM

65 posts, read 69,550 times
The accents I like are:

Average American
Some Europeans
Some Canadians
Some Spanish or Portuguese

Dislike:
English
Scottish
Southern US
New Jersey/New York or New England
Strong Midwestern like Wisconsin or Minnesota
Some European
Some strong Canadian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World