Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:03 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Idk if someone posted this link before

Treepedia :: MIT Senseable City Lab

The green view index. It's interesting. But the area covered changes a lot... But overall, It seems to be a good start
So help me understand this study.. it looks at how many streets in the city have some view of trees/greenery? It would seem to have value, but only in a limited sense, because Tampa by it's very, more suburban nature compared to these others would definitely be more leafy. Not saying that's a bad thing, but green spaces wouldn't seem to equal that. What I would say is that your Paris is way, way ahead of most American cities in that regard. While Americans who haven't visited might be able to picture the Champs Elysees or Eiffel Tower, I don't think many would be able to comprehend the organization or beauty of a Bois do Boulogne at the proximity it has to Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
So those posts actually weren't mine of Chicago. I quoted an earlier poster but somehow the quotes disappeared and it showed up like mine. Still I agree.

I don't think London necessarily has a leafy or small town feel, because the fact that it is so vertical, and just how vast a city it is with it's many areas, I think would mean it's not necessarily that.

That is okay though!
1.) London would seem to blow away just about any city in the US on urban green spaces, bike network, etc. I get why they're considering the national park designation still because the innovation of man there to make a massive, Alpha City like London such a leafy, green place is nothing short of mind blowing.
2.) The fact that London balances that out, with, being so far IMO, the most dynamic city for visitors in the entire world (though, I do have trips to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Beijing and Mexico City upcoming in the net few months), is a freaking amazing combination. I was absolutely entranced by many aspects of the city, green space among it. The reason I say most dynamic is just the sheer endless amount/quality/variety of attractions and worldly feel. The quote holds true, if a man is tired of London, he is tired of life.

That being said though, I think I could be more than satisfied, in fact, ecstatic about the public park spaces in a good number of European cities. Helsinki? Truly mind blowing as well.

I just think the crazy thing is though that Amsterdam really does seem to feel a bit small town-ish in much of it's main core (perhaps I'm thinking about it from a narrow minded perspective of the low-rise features), for being considered such an important global center. That doesn't necessarily make Amsterdam better though (I like London more), it's just really interesting to see the juxtaposition there.
The Lido at Ruislip which I posted a drone view of, has a bit of US History to it, as during the Cold War there was a USAF Headquarters at South Ruislip and the US Navy were also posted there at West Ruislip, even today at the US still has a small base at Blenheim Crescent.

The Americans would use the beach at the Lido, and according to the archives took their noisy transistor radios with them. - LOL.

There was also an American School in the area, and the US Band 'America' were the sons of US Military Personnel stationed at Ruislip.

Old 60's film showing water skiing at Ruislip Lido and Northwood in North London which is also home to a NATO military base is also very leafy.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-19-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 08:35 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
So help me understand this study.. it looks at how many streets in the city have some view of trees/greenery? It would seem to have value, but only in a limited sense, because Tampa by it's very, more suburban nature compared to these others would definitely be more leafy. Not saying that's a bad thing, but green spaces wouldn't seem to equal that. What I would say is that your Paris is way, way ahead of most American cities in that regard. While Americans who haven't visited might be able to picture the Champs Elysees or Eiffel Tower, I don't think many would be able to comprehend the organization or beauty of a Bois do Boulogne at the proximity it has to Paris.
"it looks at how many streets in the city have some view of trees/greenery?"

Yes, that's it. I guess they use convolutionnal neural networks, a type of machine learning models that can classify images and detect specific patterns into an image. I hope they use this because if the streetview car went in an area during winter, nothing will be green so the study will be severly biased.
I guess they trained models to both identify the green color in a streeview image and recognize the shape of a tree even if it is not green (winter), so they can simulate the "greeness" of an area even if it's winter.

Now yes, no matter what they did, this kind of POV on the topic isn't perfect at all. And what I understood is that they are just starting, the number of cities scanned with their method is still quite low.

" It would seem to have value, but only in a limited sense, because Tampa by it's very, more suburban nature compared to these others would definitely be more leafy. "

Well, yes. Technically Tampa is much more green than almost every single european city. It's like that... because american cities are not compact at all. I went 3weeks to Florida, and Miami is just a jungle compare to the poor Paris. Orlando is a swamp with 2.2 million inhabitants, it's totally crazy, there are thousands of lakes everywhere... No talkng about trees absolutely everywhere...

Now ofc we can discuss about the aspect of the city and parks, tree well cut, well organize, english gardens in Vincennes, french style in Versailles... But at the end it's clear: Tampa, Miami, Orlando, San Fransisco, Seattle... They are all much more leafy than Paris (my example). I didn't find an index that would penalize cities with large parks and dense / not very leafy core (like Paris), or cities with very low density but without huge parks with nature inside... Or something like this.
Anyway, there will be always a problem of the area covered by the study, when you measure only Paris (inner) to Orlando, you litteraly compare a parking to a tropical forest
My opinion to OP is that north american cities are the greenest, and give you this feeling you are in the pampa while you are 15min by car from the CBD.
Scandinavian cities or Amsterdam give you a great feeling of nature even in the core.

somewhere in a very dense area of Paris (not business district):
https://www.google.fr/maps/@48.87671...7i13312!8i6656
somewhere in an area of Orlando (not business district and I couldn't find a dense place lol):
https://www.google.fr/maps/@28.53431...7i13312!8i6656

Now the old Napoli, the most dense things ive seen :
https://www.google.fr/maps/@40.84125...7i13312!8i6656

Now that's why I consider american cities (except NY and few others maybe) as "forests" and extremely leafy

Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,918,126 times
Here Mendoza City. 1K inhabitants and it barely has high rises.

Worldwide? Atlanta hans down.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:23 AM

London Kew Gardens.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-20-2018 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 09:33 AM

Final Couple from London.

Hampton Court Palace in the London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames and a video of Hampstead in the London Borouh of Camden including the historic Kenwood House, which you can find out more about in the third video.

The final video is White Garden at Kensington Palace in celebration of the life of Diana, Princess of Wales. The garden has been designed and created by gardeners at the palace inspired by memories of the Princess's life, iconic image and style.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-20-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 11:37 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
London really is a very green and leafy city - which might surprise some people. Plenty of parks and tree-lined streets.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London really is a very green and leafy city - which might surprise some people. Plenty of parks and tree-lined streets.

May as well finish off with a couple of Joolz Guides to London, he has historic London videos relating to many areas of London on youtube. Not sure about the hat though.

In terms of London's many Cemeteries, the leafy magnificent seven are the most famous.

Magnificent Seven Cemeteries - Atlas Obscura

Magnificent Seven cemeteries - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-20-2018 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
It must be me .... . But I don't think people understand what this thread is on? I didn't believe it was on rooftop green-space that cities are doing, Parks, Forest preserves or Cemeteries . Next It'll be a underground Shangri-La with trees.... I jest.

Again... must be me thinking it meant Green leafy streets, avenues or boulevards.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
It must be me .... . But I don't think people understand what this thread is on? I didn't believe it was on rooftop green-space that cities are doing, Parks, Forest preserves or Cemeteries . Next It'll be a underground Shangri-La with trees.... I jest.

Again... must be me thinking it meant Green leafy streets, avenues or boulevards.
Roof space was just a green initiative in London, another major initiative is the planting of street trees and the mapping of some tree data in relation to some central London areas.

The plan is to make over 50% of London's infrastructure green space by 2050 requiring an increase in green infrastructure of around 9000ha (22,240 Acres) – three times the area of the London Borough of Haringey, whilst maintaining its “urban forest” by increasing tree cover from 20% to 30%.

Other major initiatives include pedestrianisation of a number of shopping streets, a large investment in thel cycle network, more walking routes and zones throughout the city and the linking of these greenways. Some other European cities are also making similar plans.

Plan to enhance one of the world's greenest capital cities: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Plan

The plan is for -
  • All Londoners to be completing at least 20 minutes of active travel each day
  • 70% of Londoners to live within 400 metres of a high-quality, safe cycle route by 2041
  • No one to be killed by a London bus by 2030 (action to reduce incidents involving lorries is already underway) and deaths and serious injuries from all road collisions to be eliminated by 2041
  • No emissions from buses by 2037, from all new road vehicles by 2040 and from London’s entire transport system by 2050
  • 80% of journeys to be made by bike, on foot or by public transport by 2041 compared to 64% today.
London reveals plans for transport revolution - Evans Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Assembly

London Tree Map

This map is an initial attempt to visually present London tree data. The majority of the data is for street trees but also includes some park trees. The map shows the locations and species information for over 700,000 trees. The recent London iTree report estimated that there are over eight million trees in London, so the map is only a partial illustration of trees in London.

There are several potential benefits to the public sharing of tree data. We hope that visualising tree data and providing access to it in once place will help to raise the public profile of the important contribution of trees to our urban environment, and also provide operational benefits for tree managers. Sharing and standardising data could provide essential information for the strategic management of the urban forest. For example, it could help to assess species diversity and threats from pests and plant diseases across London, and also help identify areas for additional planting.

London Tree Map - London Assembly

London Street Tree Map

Trees for Cities: Planting Trees, Tree Charity, Urban Gardening

The Street Tree - London

Why we should plant more urban trees | The Telegraph

Garden Museum review – hallowed ground for the green-fingered - Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-22-2018 at 03:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World