Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Mexico City 27 84.38%
Johannesburg 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 01:45 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times

Advertisements

I’ve been interested in traveling to South Africa but I’ve heard some terrible stories about crime there. I don’t know much about SA since I live in North America but I’m familiar with Mexico and it can be seedy in large areas, so I wanted to compare its largest city to SA’s largest. Anyway, enough spill, here’s the criteria.

-Safety (This is number 1 to me)
- Public Transit
- Cost of Living (Housing mostly)
- Job Opportunities
- Shopping
- Nightlife
- Diversity
- Urban Environments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 07:01 AM

10,105 posts, read 14,972,719 times
I’m willing to bet that Mexico City takes the lead in:

-Safety
-Public Transit
-Job Opportunities
-Shopping
-Nightlife
-Urban Environments
-Diversity*

I have no idea how the cost of living in Johannesburg compares to MXC.

*I think MXC has a much larger foreign born population than does Johannesburg, but I’m not 100% sure of this.

Personally, I think this comparison is somewhat unfair because MXC is a much more global city than Johannesburg. In a way its like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:04 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,568 times
Mexico is NOT safe as long as the drug cartels run the show. It's a corrupt, hopeless society desperately trying to move in with their norther neighbor.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:58 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Mexico is NOT safe as long as the drug cartels run the show. It's a corrupt, hopeless society desperately trying to move in with their norther neighbor.
Mexico City is still safer than Johannesburg.

I'd probably choose Mexico City - seems like a much better urban experience.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I’m willing to bet that Mexico City takes the lead in:

-Safety
-Public Transit
-Job Opportunities
-Shopping
-Nightlife
-Urban Environments
-Diversity*

I have no idea how the cost of living in Johannesburg compares to MXC.

*I think MXC has a much larger foreign born population than does Johannesburg, but I’m not 100% sure of this.

Personally, I think this comparison is somewhat unfair because MXC is a much more global city than Johannesburg. In a way its like comparing apples to oranges.
It is more of a world city, but Jo’burg is basically Sub Saharan Africa’s gateway to the world. It’s the closest African comparison I can make to Mexico City (besides Cairo but that’s a whole different area and culture).

Old 07-07-2018, 11:10 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,027,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
It is more of a world city, but Jo’burg is basically Sub Saharan Africa’s gateway to the world. It’s the closest African comparison I can make to Mexico City (besides Cairo but that’s a whole different area and culture).
That is just an opinion as after all there are cities in Sub Sahara Africa that are even safer than Jo'burg and even ones that are more populated too.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:58 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
What are some good things about Johannesburg? I'm not familiar with the place.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:51 AM

570 posts, read 508,988 times
Jonannesburg is a sh*thole. There’s nothing appealing about it.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
That is just an opinion as after all there are cities in Sub Sahara Africa that are even safer than Jo'burg and even ones that are more populated too.
Are they’re cities that are more developed or have more money? Sandton is the richest neighborhood in the continent.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:09 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,027,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Are they’re cities that are more developed or have more money? Sandton is the richest neighborhood in the continent.
Well, even Lagos in Nigeria has neighbourhoods where the mega-rich live too. South Africa is typical for many African countries where only a minority of people hold most of the countries wealth and most people remain really poor. Yet, of course, South Africa is one of the most developed African countries yet even so so many people lack the basics such as running water and electricity in their homes and their homes are made from the most basic materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World