U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Mexico City 18 81.82%
Johannesburg 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2018, 01:45 AM

3,316 posts, read 2,675,766 times

Advertisements

Iíve been interested in traveling to South Africa but Iíve heard some terrible stories about crime there. I donít know much about SA since I live in North America but Iím familiar with Mexico and it can be seedy in large areas, so I wanted to compare its largest city to SAís largest. Anyway, enough spill, hereís the criteria.

-Safety (This is number 1 to me)
- Public Transit
- Cost of Living (Housing mostly)
- Job Opportunities
- Shopping
- Nightlife
- Diversity
- Urban Environments
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 07:01 AM

4,627 posts, read 7,250,769 times
I’m willing to bet that Mexico City takes the lead in:

-Safety
-Public Transit
-Job Opportunities
-Shopping
-Nightlife
-Urban Environments
-Diversity*

I have no idea how the cost of living in Johannesburg compares to MXC.

*I think MXC has a much larger foreign born population than does Johannesburg, but I’m not 100% sure of this.

Personally, I think this comparison is somewhat unfair because MXC is a much more global city than Johannesburg. In a way its like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:04 AM

761 posts, read 519,493 times
Mexico is NOT safe as long as the drug cartels run the show. It's a corrupt, hopeless society desperately trying to move in with their norther neighbor.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:58 AM

1,776 posts, read 704,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Mexico is NOT safe as long as the drug cartels run the show. It's a corrupt, hopeless society desperately trying to move in with their norther neighbor.
Mexico City is still safer than Johannesburg.

I'd probably choose Mexico City - seems like a much better urban experience.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Iím willing to bet that Mexico City takes the lead in:

-Safety
-Public Transit
-Job Opportunities
-Shopping
-Nightlife
-Urban Environments
-Diversity*

I have no idea how the cost of living in Johannesburg compares to MXC.

*I think MXC has a much larger foreign born population than does Johannesburg, but Iím not 100% sure of this.

Personally, I think this comparison is somewhat unfair because MXC is a much more global city than Johannesburg. In a way its like comparing apples to oranges.
It is more of a world city, but Joíburg is basically Sub Saharan Africaís gateway to the world. Itís the closest African comparison I can make to Mexico City (besides Cairo but thatís a whole different area and culture).

Old 07-07-2018, 11:10 PM

25 posts, read 3,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
It is more of a world city, but Joíburg is basically Sub Saharan Africaís gateway to the world. Itís the closest African comparison I can make to Mexico City (besides Cairo but thatís a whole different area and culture).
That is just an opinion as after all there are cities in Sub Sahara Africa that are even safer than Jo'burg and even ones that are more populated too.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:58 AM

19,249 posts, read 20,949,632 times
What are some good things about Johannesburg? I'm not familiar with the place.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:51 AM

118 posts, read 38,009 times
Jonannesburg is a sh*thole. There’s nothing appealing about it.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
That is just an opinion as after all there are cities in Sub Sahara Africa that are even safer than Jo'burg and even ones that are more populated too.
Are theyíre cities that are more developed or have more money? Sandton is the richest neighborhood in the continent.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:09 AM

25 posts, read 3,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Are theyíre cities that are more developed or have more money? Sandton is the richest neighborhood in the continent.
Well, even Lagos in Nigeria has neighbourhoods where the mega-rich live too. South Africa is typical for many African countries where only a minority of people hold most of the countries wealth and most people remain really poor. Yet, of course, South Africa is one of the most developed African countries yet even so so many people lack the basics such as running water and electricity in their homes and their homes are made from the most basic materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or