Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 05:24 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

Dutch Americans are overwhelmingly staunch Protestants, conservative, and Republican voters. The Dutch are among the most liberal and irreligious people in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 08:26 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I'm interested in any replies, because, now that I come to think of it, the Dutch Americans I know (those who actually emigrated from the Netherlands and their first-generation children, not Americans with distant Dutch ancestry) are all staunch Protestant conservatives. I don't know how they vote.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
“The Economist” had an article about this earlier this year. Unfortunately, it is behind a paywall.
https://www.economist.com/united-sta...from-the-dutch

Old 12-21-2018, 09:59 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
I’m not Dutch (obviously, lol). But I’ve lived in Albany, NY and was married in a Dutch Reformed Church. So I’m going to take a stab at it

Self-selection. In other words, those who were more conservative were the ones who emigrated, most likely in order to live according to their values. Similar to other conservative groups who emigrated, such as the Puritans, Amish, Mennonites, etc.

The linked article gave some similar reasons (no paywall for me). It seems the emigres still retained some values similar to those still living in NDL, though, such as a similar work ethic.

Interesting read. Wasn’t familiar with the Dutch in Michigan.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:17 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Dutch Americans are overwhelmingly staunch Protestants, conservative, and Republican voters. The Dutch are among the most liberal and irreligious people in the world.
I would think it is hard to identify Dutch Americans nowadays because they have mixed with other populations over the centuries.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:02 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I am of Dutch descent. Grew up in The Reformed Church. Very conservative, Calvinistic. Lots of concentration on sin, death and hell. My hometown was primarily people of Dutch descent, although I believe they are less than 15% now. We had windmills on our front lawns and in front of the municipal hall, too.

I still have cousins who adhere to that way of thinking, and some of them are outright racist, as was our grandfather. For whatever reason, our distant Hollander relatives moved forward in their thinking faster than did the American immigrants.

Being a lifelong New Jersey girl, the northern part of which was primarily settled by the Dutch (as was what is now New York City and much of southern New York State), I've studied quite a bit of the history of the Dutch in the area. They were not always monolithic in their thinking. In the years before the Civil War, the congregation of a well-known church still in existence in Bergen County was so split over the issue of slavery and the upholding of the Fugitive Slave Law that the minister couldn't stand it and just quit.

I visited Amsterdam in 2015 and took an "alternative Amsterdam" walking tour. It was fascinating to see and hear about the differences in the way they view poverty and the underclass as opposed to the way it is often treated in America. Over there, if you put down someone who is on public assistance or in social housing, you're a jerk.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am of Dutch descent. Grew up in The Reformed Church. Very conservative, Calvinistic. Lots of concentration on sin, death and hell. My hometown was primarily people of Dutch descent, although I believe they are less than 15% now. We had windmills on our front lawns and in front of the municipal hall, too.

I still have cousins who adhere to that way of thinking, and some of them are outright racist, as was our grandfather. For whatever reason, our distant Hollander relatives moved forward in their thinking faster than did the American immigrants.

Being a lifelong New Jersey girl, the northern part of which was primarily settled by the Dutch (as was what is now New York City and much of southern New York State), I've studied quite a bit of the history of the Dutch in the area. They were not always monolithic in their thinking. In the years before the Civil War, the congregation of a well-known church still in existence in Bergen County was so split over the issue of slavery and the upholding of the Fugitive Slave Law that the minister couldn't stand it and just quit.

I visited Amsterdam in 2015 and took an "alternative Amsterdam" walking tour. It was fascinating to see and hear about the differences in the way they view poverty and the underclass as opposed to the way it is often treated in America. Over there, if you put down someone who is on public assistance or in social housing, you're a jerk.
I guess the one we married in was liberal enough to allow non-parishioners to use their church (a lovely 17th century stone building, btw). Liberal, or entrepreneurial? Maybe both, given the stereotypical entrepreneurial trait assigned to the Dutch, here and in NL.

Are you saying the Dutch Reform Church promotes racist thinking? I guess you make a case for judging each person on their own merits rather than by association, either with some of your cousins or grandfather.

I wonder how the current political, social, and economic climate in Europe and the EU affects the liberalness of today’s NL.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:05 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
I guess the one we married in was liberal enough to allow non-parishioners to use their church (a lovely 17th century stone building, btw). Liberal, or entrepreneurial? Maybe both, given the stereotypical entrepreneurial trait assigned to the Dutch, here and in NL.

Are you saying the Dutch Reform Church promotes racist thinking? I guess you make a case for judging each person on their own merits rather than by association, either with some of your cousins or grandfather.

I wonder how the current political, social, and economic climate in Europe and the EU affects the liberalness of today’s NL.
Hey, I got married in a lovely 17th-century stone church also, and we were also not members of the church. (I got divorced in a boring-looking county courthouse.)

I don't know if the church itself promoted racist thinking, so no, I'm not saying that. It may have been the Dutch culture. I remember older people saying when I was a child that black people were destined by God to be slaves because God cursed Noah's son Ham that his descendants would be slaves. It was assumed that Africans must therefore be the descendants of Ham. This was common thinking, at least at one time in the not-so-distant past.

But yes, judging each person on their own merits is my personal song and dance and has been for some years. No pun intended, the church I knew was very black-and-white in its thinking. There was Good and Evil and not much gray area in between. As late as 25 years ago, a childhood friend of mine committed suicide, and the next Sunday someone at church approached his parents to extend his sympathy--and remind them that their son "went straight to hell". Of course, that is an individual speaking, but the environment had to be such that he felt it was appropriate to make such a statement.

I do understand that one of the more famous Reformed Churches, Marble Collegiate in New York City, is quite open-minded and liberal. Nice to know. I have not been part of the RCA for forty years, so things may have changed elsewhere as well.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:20 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
This is an interesting thread. Afrikaners are also very conservative.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:46 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
I kinda sorta dated a Dutch-American girl. Didn't work for this exact reason. Too conservative for me and I've noticed this with people here from The Netherlands as well as Dutch-Americans. Same with people from some other countries. Many Central Americans that move here also seem to be conservative. As someone else mentioned, perhaps it's the conservatives among these populations that tend to move to the US. Much like most Americans that move to say Germany or France tend to be more liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World