Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 06:55 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,092 times

Advertisements

You guys don’t get it... the good ol’ days are gone...
Tiny countries need to join together to form a larger country for the purpose of achieving common prosperity
The Anglosphere can achieve much much more if they merge.

To put into perspective, GDP (PPP) in 2019 for each of these 6 countries
United States - US$21,345 billion
United Kingdom - US$3,128 billion
Canada - US$1,897 billion
Australia - US$1,369 billion
Ireland - US$409 billion
New Zealand - US$206 billion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 07:02 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Tiny countries need to join together to form a larger country for the purpose of achieving common prosperity

Ireland - US$409 billion

We intend to have closer relations following Brexit, and a CANZUK economic block would be a good start.

CANZUK International – Promoting Closer Ties

Old 07-02-2019, 02:22 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:

Ireland - US$409 billion
Yeah, all of these countries speak mostly English and have the same western culture. Therefore, they should just give it up and become part of the United States.

Why don't they? Beats me.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:18 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, all of these countries speak mostly English and have the same western culture. Therefore, they should just give it up and become part of the United States.

Why don't they? Beats me.
It could be considered if the US is prepared to take on our health care system, our gun laws and give up your tipping system!

Seriously, there are many trade agreements in place and the GDPs of the countries are in line with their sizes.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:25 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:

Ireland - US$409 billion
As a Canadian, I'm actually all for it, though I recognize that I'd be in the minority here. I would love to see the Anglosphere merge into a singular entity, but the reality on the ground is quite different.

For starters, no one would want to give up their sovereignty and fully lose their national identity, regardless of how minuscule or large those differences may be (in some cases, quite significant actually). There's no denying that in such a scenario, the US would be the dominant force and would essentially drown out the other five. It would essentially be akin to an American annexation as opposed to a mere merger.

But, if some of the discrepancies could be resolved, I'm all for it. Imagine being able to drive from BC to Florida without a border, or hoping on a domestic flight to see friends in Glasgow or Sydney without so much as a care in the world.

This would be our new size: (figures given in km, sorry Americans you'll have to get used to the metric system)

Canada: 9,984,670
USA: 9,833,517
Australia: 7,692,024
New Zealand: 270,467
UK: 242,495
Ireland: 70,273

Total: 28,093,446 sq. km (Three massive landmasses, with a couple of islands sprinkled around for good measure )

Old 07-02-2019, 07:32 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
A merger is unnecessary to enjoy the fruits of cooperation. An anglosphere trade network, plus continued defense/security cooperation is sufficient.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:55 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
A merger is unnecessary to enjoy the fruits of cooperation. An anglosphere trade network, plus continued defense/security cooperation is sufficient.
Australia for example already has trade agreements the US and NZ, and is now negotiating one with the EU which covers Ireland and which the UK would have been covered by had it remained in that grouping. Similarly it has deep security arrangements with both the US, and links to NATO and hence the UK and Canada. So its unclear what deeper cooperation folks could be talking about, or see possible given the different economic neighbourhoods of each.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 07-03-2019 at 03:45 AM..

Old 07-03-2019, 11:14 AM

676 posts, read 648,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
As a Canadian, I'm actually all for it, though I recognize that I'd be in the minority here. I would love to see the Anglosphere merge into a singular entity, but the reality on the ground is quite different.

For starters, no one would want to give up their sovereignty and fully lose their national identity, regardless of how minuscule or large those differences may be (in some cases, quite significant actually). There's no denying that in such a scenario, the US would be the dominant force and would essentially drown out the other five. It would essentially be akin to an American annexation as opposed to a mere merger.

But, if some of the discrepancies could be resolved, I'm all for it. Imagine being able to drive from BC to Florida without a border, or hoping on a domestic flight to see friends in Glasgow or Sydney without so much as a care in the world.

This would be our new size: (figures given in km, sorry Americans you'll have to get used to the metric system)

Total: 28,093,446 sq. km (Three massive landmasses, with a couple of islands sprinkled around for good measure )
There are just too many massive legislative and regulatory differences between these six countries for me to see this as being possible this century. Vancouver and Toronto are populated and fast growing because of the country and system of governance its in, not because of their individual culture and geography. You would probably see some depopulation in parts of Canada and the UK and additional concentration/growth in coastal Australia and the US.

Yes, it does seem like a utopia; world is your oyster without immigration/visa/employment hurdles to clear with this but I feel the differences in thinking and upbringing would be far too difficult to overcome.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:13 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
The proposed merger seems an attempt to do things the hard way.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:21 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

You already had something similar to this at one point.

It was called... "The British Empire".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World