Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2021, 12:30 PM

81 posts, read 93,958 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that almost every Mexican telenovela actor has issued a pop album at some point in their lives. And it's like everyone sounds nice when singing in Spanish but maybe to natives some sound bad. Still they sell good numbers. On the other hand this is quite rare for US, British, Bulgarian & I believe German actors and TV/media personalities (Paris Hilton is an exception and Mark Wahlberg and Jessica Simson were singers before becoming actor/reality star respectingly).

What are some other cultures where a) actors, TV presenters, even polititians & models etc. or b) not properly trained/bad vocalists can get away with making music records by the dozen?

I was told in Greece everyone & their grandma can make a record even if they're a poor singer, is it true? I've seen Giorgos Tsalikis being mentioned as a poor singer that relies on his looks mostly. Many actors/actresses in Turkish soaps also try their hands at singing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 08:52 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,131,403 times
Well, the United States has produced Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, and Brittany Spears.

I mean Dylan and Waits are my two favorites for their songwriting capabilities, but...

Old 05-26-2021, 04:40 AM

12,406 posts, read 8,192,347 times
I think it is a function of actors being signed to a specific studio or network. So not only are they on a temporary show but they must show up on the network's variety specials and shows.

As actors they must then also sing and dance on those promotions. And then their fanbase makes it profitable enough to invest in professionally recorded music. Nobody would expect that music to top any local pop chart, it is just another stream of income and promotion like all the modeling they endure when not acting on the network show produces some money and some promotional value.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:05 AM

27,273 posts, read 13,540,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinho View Post
I've noticed that almost every Mexican telenovela actor has issued a pop album at some point in their lives. And it's like everyone sounds nice when singing in Spanish but maybe to natives some sound bad. Still they sell good numbers. On the other hand this is quite rare for US, British, Bulgarian & I believe German actors and TV/media personalities (Paris Hilton is an exception and Mark Wahlberg and Jessica Simson were singers before becoming actor/reality star respectingly).

What are some other cultures where a) actors, TV presenters, even polititians & models etc. or b) not properly trained/bad vocalists can get away with making music records by the dozen?

I was told in Greece everyone & their grandma can make a record even if they're a poor singer, is it true? I've seen Giorgos Tsalikis being mentioned as a poor singer that relies on his looks mostly. Many actors/actresses in Turkish soaps also try their hands at singing.
The UK would like to formally apologise for Jason Statham.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:42 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,865,451 times
Um, Bob Dylin, Jimmy Hendrics, Janis Joplin, Bruce Springsteen and many others come to mind as being successful "singers/chanters/whateveres but really truly sucked as singers; as well as most newer vocalists who need auto tune come to mind.

And no, not every Latino can sound good singing in Spanish. Many of them suck as well!

Old 05-28-2021, 05:21 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,619,102 times
Who are America's top singers? Occasionally. I glance at the Top 100 Chart, and I don't recognize a single name on it. Who the hell is J. Colr?

Old 06-01-2021, 07:10 AM

81 posts, read 93,958 times
I don't think such a video would pass in the USA, even as a tongue-in-cheek thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AMdhHaQ5Cg

I mean they're good singers imo but the whole video looks cheap and tacky even for the 80s. And their expressions are weird.

Another video I remember is where Giorgos Tsalikis acts as a gigolo/stripper and an overweight middle-aged lady is ogling him. Turns out it's all in her fantasy. It's so bad and cheesy, esp. the weird "dance", it would've been a career suicide almost anywhere, US included. And having overweight bleached ladies in your video is another weird choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World