Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 01:23 PM

6,559 posts, read 12,044,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
This makes no sense. "Everywhere in the US is hell for living" (a ridiculous statement in and of itself) but somehow Atlanta is the exception?

I've been to 20 of the 25 largest metros in the U.S. and Atlanta was bottom quartile adjusted for size. If it wasn't for the Georgia Aquarium and Coca-Cola World, I'd have been thoroughly bored, and compared to 6 million person metros like Madrid or Santiago, Atlanta is a huge underperformer.

Not only that, but I was almost beaten by a crazy homeless man with a bat in Downtown, simply crossing to the Georgia State Capitol from the Georgia State University campus. The same criticism I have of Los Angeles applies doubly so to Atlanta on the crazy homeless front.
Unfortunately Atlanta is rather an example not an exception, especially in the 2020's. I never said it was an exception. I just have my personal reasons why I love Georgia as it's where I grew up and what I know, and like the climate, people, food, culture, etc. For the crime rate per capita Atlanta is ranked higher than LA, but not sure if homeless situation is worse as California cities are notoriously bad. Anyhow I lived in San Diego for 10 years and that's one of the safest cities in the United States, but it does have gang activity and occasional shooting/homicide incidents, granted very low for 1.5 million but high compared to other world cities in Western Europe, East Asia, even Canadian cities. That's what I meant by negligible difference between the top and bottom with US cities. In the Atlanta metro it's easy to avoid the crime by staying out of certain areas, and even the safe areas are relatively affordable.

Now one state that's consistently ranked at the top for safety, education, healthcare, quality of life, etc. is Vermont. It's a very low key state that people don't think much about, but that would be more comparable to the European or Canadian quality of life and not so much the typical American way of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 01:33 PM

6,559 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I agree some people get so butt hurt when someone doesnt like their city so they resort to being childish. We see it with London, Philadelphia, New York, LA, Sydney etc. its like they don’t know the definition of opinion. I Agree there. It’s frustrating when its the same 3-5 posters who then spew out “trolls!” Or “multiple accounts!”

But. Im nitpicking on your GA comment

“There’s negligible difference” <—- thats not true. GA is very much towards the bottom of the US states, maybe as high as 30.
This. Not just on here but in society in general it seems like people are not allowed to express their opinion if it's not popular or the same as everyone else, a groupthink society. It's like that with both sides of the political spectrum which I don't identify with either.

Unfortunately GA and the Southern states are ranked lowest for many things but one of the better in the South (though North Carolina might be higher for some things). Anyhow see my above post about the negligible difference between states like Georgia and California. Long time ago I wanted to leave Georgia for California thinking it would be more culturally liberal and open minded, and more similar to Japan only to be disappointed because it still felt very American. Now Hawaii might be a better match for what I was looking for.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 12 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I agree some people get so butt hurt when someone doesnt like their city so they resort to being childish. We see it with London, Philadelphia, New York, LA, Sydney etc. its like they don’t know the definition of opinion. I Agree there. It’s frustrating when its the same 3-5 posters who then spew out “trolls!” Or “multiple accounts!”
As already explained numerous times, if you are going to dislike a city. give a credible reason, otherwise it is simply trolling.

It's not a big ask to provide a credible reason that actually stands up to scrutiny.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:29 AM

5,957 posts, read 2,875,868 times
Was in a Sled Dog race in Alaska back in the 1990s,I didn't do well.lol
I took a trip to the North Pole. That's North Pole Alaska . No Santa Claus and it looked like my home back in New Hampshire ,USA.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:02 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Just joking. I love Paris
Glad to hear. I was getting ready to beat you up and extoll Paris, my favorite city after NYC.

Sarcasm is hard to do in a forum unless you use the emoji to signal your intent.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:06 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Gertrude Stein said this about Oakland, but it fits LA also: There is no there, there.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:58 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I agree that LA, and pretty much everywhere in the US is hell for living.
That may be true if you don't like to speak English, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World