Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 03:37 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,916,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You think the US suffers many 'negative and slanderous claims' then you should try being British! (Well English actually). Apparently we are to blame for ALL the worlds evils! At least you have an ocean between you and most of the rest of the world, we have the French as our neighbours and they abhor us. Still all the negativity thrown at us has given us English pretty 'thick skins' over the years, if I were you I wouldn't worry what other people think. I must admit though many Americans don't do themselves any favours, lets be honest there is a LOT of American exceptionalism on here many a time I've heard claims like 'the world is Americanised', 'without us you would be speaking German', 'Europe needs our protection', 'America invented everything', 'we won the war (sometimes believe it or not both wars)!' and some even try and claim the English language!
However I certainly don't judge a whole nation based on a few idiots and like previously mentioned every American I've met personally have been very nice people (well with the exception of one actually who was a bit of a knob).
I don't think social media helps either and its easy to mis-read people when you only have the written word, some people have told me I come across as aggressive but I think perhaps it could be my poor English writing skills!
Brits make the coolest villains.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilBrit

Old 09-16-2021, 08:00 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,916,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholic View Post
Easthome - the world is “Americanized”, and to deny that much of the world mimics American culture, particularly in the very strong soft-power fields of music, fashion, and media, would be to lie.

You routinely denigrate the US and whine of Americans thinking they’re exceptional, and then engage in even more delusional British exceptionalism, rejecting any assertion or study that remotely suggests that Britain might not be as good as the US, or might even just have similar problems to the US, on a given topic of contention. It outright shows the insecurity I described in my post.
I’m not Easthome.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:03 PM

94 posts, read 32,624 times
why because they are true you want to self destruct great but destroy your self dont go around trying to promote thsat destruction around the world

Old 09-17-2021, 04:11 AM

14,835 posts, read 12,128,377 times
Quote:
Easthome - the world is “Americanized”, and to deny that much of the world mimics American culture, particularly in the very strong soft-power fields of music, fashion, and media, would be to lie.

You routinely denigrate the US and whine of Americans thinking they’re exceptional, and then engage in even more delusional British exceptionalism, rejecting any assertion or study that remotely suggests that Britain might not be as good as the US, or might even just have similar problems to the US, on a given topic of contention. It outright shows the insecurity I described in my post.
Ah right on cue! One of 'those' Americans I was talking about!

Old 09-17-2021, 05:24 AM

535 posts, read 615,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you had a childhood friend who became rich and successful in adulthood while you got left behind and then s/he came to your house and stole tons of your possessions, left a mess in your kitchen after cooking with your food (but left none of the food for you) and smacked you upside the head before falling asleep in your bed leaving you on the floor, only to wake up the next day to do the same, ad nausea, wouldn’t that make you resentful and envious?

The same thing happens with countries around the world and these days, that is what the US does.
There, fixed it for you.

Quote:
Your entire tirade is built on a determinedly harsh and inaccurate view of the US and it’s foreign policy. As I said, typical gaslighting that shows up whenever an American points out anti-Americanism
It is not a "tirade" or gaslighting and it is neither harsh (if anything not harsh enough) nor is it "inaccurate", I am from the US, I would know. Tons of claims against what I say but not a single proper rebuttal.

Last edited by Cmusic29; 09-17-2021 at 05:46 AM..

Old 09-17-2021, 08:42 AM

6,006 posts, read 2,939,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
As an American myself there is a lot of criticism that is deserved and it can't really be debated, sorry. If you hold yourself up as the bastion of justice, law, fairness, and freedom but fail, to varying extents, in all those senses AND rampage around the globe with overt and covert aggressions you really should be held accountable and not be shocked at scrutiny. You seem surprised by the "mean things" foreigners say but then go on the attack and pigeonhole a large majority of them as if they are all one group of people when they aren't.

Maybe be less shocked at what the rest of the world sees and stop trying to take so much issue with it and try to see WHY they do and reflect inwards. Plus when most people critique the USA, stop seeing it as a personal affront and take it for what it is, a justified critique of, for example, the government's policies, some of which have probably hurt the person making the observation which stings you so much. For me, having traveled to nearly 40 countries and live in 7 and come across people from so many more countries, it really puts into perspective how many people have been hurt by American foreign policy and actions - but they shouldn't be mad and/or critique? Please. If anything, people are pretty damn forgiving and accepting and not nearly as brutal as they could be all things (like history) considered.

I've been to Guatemala, Vietnam, Serbia and so much more that the US has hurt and yet, only got kindness.
Please you are no more American than a Serb or the 5 other countries you claim to be a citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World