Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 08:11 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I actually thought Milan was underrated. If you’re going to skip an Italian city, I’d go with Messina or maybe Naples.

The sad thing is Zurich might be the best Swiss city. Bern and Lucern were even more underwhelming. Maybe there’s some magic in Geneva, I haven’t visited that one yet. Switzerland is still one of my favorite countries, the alps there are just spectacular.

Here are a few more:
Greece - Athens (the islands are the place to go there)
France - Marseille
Spain - Alicante or maybe even Valencia
When I went to Switzerland I went to Zermatt (the small village at the base of the Matterhorn). One of if not THE most beautiful place on this earth. Geneva at least has the view of the Alps. Not sure about Zurich and the other cities, but Basel was nice. It's in the German part.

I actually liked Marseille. It's no Paris but representative of the South of France. I also liked Athens but next time I want to go to Thessaloniki.

For England I'd say any of the large cities besides London (Manchester, Birmingham, and Liverpool). The smaller towns and cities are nice however.

For Japan, I'd say Nagoya and Kobe can be skipped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 08:32 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
The sad thing is Zurich might be the best Swiss city. Bern and Lucern were even more underwhelming. Maybe there’s some magic in Geneva, I haven’t visited that one yet. Switzerland is still one of my favorite countries, the alps there are just spectacular.
Exactly why people should just go to Austria. Everything is 50% cheaper and offers everything Switzerland can offer and more.

I agree that Milan sucks. Lille is also pretty bad (4th or 5th largest city in France).

Old 10-01-2021, 04:24 AM

90 posts, read 67,528 times
Quote:
I actually thought Milan was underrated. If you’re going to skip an Italian city, I’d go with Messina or maybe Naples.

Here are a few more:
Greece - Athens (the islands are the place to go there)
France - Marseille
Spain - Alicante or maybe even Valencia
Wow really? I am going to Athens this weekend. I am also thinking to go to Marseille because the flights from there are only £16 from London.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:20 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Exactly why people should just go to Austria. Everything is 50% cheaper and offers everything Switzerland can offer and more.

I agree that Milan sucks. Lille is also pretty bad (4th or 5th largest city in France).
How is Lille bad, it's a student city, with a lot of good galleries/museums, historic buildings/squares and very good bars, restaurant and night life.

I actually often prefer cities that are not swamped by tourists but are vibrant and interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
Wow really? I am going to Athens this weekend. I am also thinking to go to Marseille because the flights from there are only £16 from London.
You'l have to fly to London first, as you don't live here and have never set foot in the country and have been called out for being a troll that just likes to indulge in negative posts about numerous cities.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-01-2021 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-01-2021, 06:23 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Quote:
Unfortunately yes. I recommend the Plaka district in Athens, the rest of the city was pretty dilapidated when I visited in 2016. The islands are nice though, I’d like to go back to Greece and spend more time on them.

I would definitely do Nice over Marseille. You know how they say pictures don’t do a place justice? Well, that can work both ways. Prior to going to Marseille all the pictures I saw looked really nice, but then when I was there the city turned out to be pretty gritty.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately yes. I recommend the Plaka district in Athens, the rest of the city was pretty dilapidated when I visited in 2016. The islands are nice though, I’d like to go back to Greece and spend more time on them.

I would definitely do Nice over Marseille. You know how they say pictures don’t do a place justice? Well, that can work both ways. Prior to going to Marseille all the pictures I saw looked really nice, but then when I was there the city turned out to be pretty gritty.
Marseille, has always been on the gritty side, as has Athens, with Naples being another such city.

Have you never watched The French Connection or French Connection 2.

Athens is also not a picture-postcard capital and is often gritty and a place that you are wise to keep your wits about you.

Nice on the other hand is pretty in a traditional sense.

Corrupt, dangerous and brutal to its poor – but is Marseille the future of France? - The Guardian (2017)

Athens isn’t pretty, but it's exciting: discover the city's cultural rebirth - The Globe and Mail

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-01-2021 at 06:59 AM..

Old 10-01-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
When I went to Switzerland I went to Zermatt (the small village at the base of the Matterhorn). One of if not THE most beautiful place on this earth. Geneva at least has the view of the Alps. Not sure about Zurich and the other cities, but Basel was nice. It's in the German part.

I actually liked Marseille. It's no Paris but representative of the South of France. I also liked Athens but next time I want to go to Thessaloniki.

For England I'd say any of the large cities besides London (Manchester, Birmingham, and Liverpool). The smaller towns and cities are nice however.

For Japan, I'd say Nagoya and Kobe can be skipped.
Murren and Wengen were incredible, I’ll have to visit Zermatt at some point too because it does look really nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

I’m going to have to get back to Austria soon. I’ve only been to Bregenz, which was fine but the Lake of Constance is kind of unimpressive to someone from Florida.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:55 AM

90 posts, read 67,528 times
Quote:

I see! Thanks. Athens has a bad reputation. I really don’t understand why flights to Marseille are so cheap from London. I passed through the city when I was going to Lyon and it looked very sketchy from the train. I have heard Montpellier is very nice.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Marseille, has always been on the gritty side, as has Athens, with Naples being another such city.

Have you never watched The French Connection or French Connection 2.

Athens is also not a picture-postcard capital and is often gritty and a place that you are wise to keep your wits about you.

Nice on the other hand is pretty in a traditional sense.

Corrupt, dangerous and brutal to its poor – but is Marseille the future of France? - The Guardian (2017)

Athens isn’t pretty, but it's exciting: discover the city's cultural rebirth - The Globe and Mail
I haven't seen The French Connection...

Both cities were kind of sketchy, but I didn't feel like they were really dangerous either. The cities in Europe that made me the most nervous were Messina and Lisbon. Lisbon wasn't that bad, but it is a little sketchy, and all the blind alleyways kind of invite trouble so I was probably most nervous there.

Quote:
I see! Thanks. Athens has a bad reputation. I really don’t understand why flights to Marseille are so cheap from London. I passed through the city when I was going to Lyon and it looked very sketchy from the train. I have heard Montpellier is very nice.
I think you could enjoy Athens, provided you stay in Plaka and other nicer areas. With respect to this thread, I just mean people are probably better off skipping the city and going to the islands.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen The French Connection...

Both cities were kind of sketchy, but I didn't feel like they were really dangerous either. The cities in Europe that made me the most nervous were Messina and Lisbon. Lisbon wasn't that bad, but it is a little sketchy, and all the blind alleyways kind of invite trouble so I was probably most nervous there.

I think you could enjoy Athens, provided you stay in Plaka and other nicer areas. With respect to this thread, I just mean people are probably better off skipping the city and going to the islands.

Lisbon has been raved about for a number of years, and has become a must visit in terms of European guide books.

The 25 de Abril Bridge has a San Francisco type feel to it, and I do like the hilly streets, alley ways, trams and main square.

The others are indeed a bit rough around the edges and sketchy in places, however that can add to a cities character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World