Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 03:07 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,028,472 times

Advertisements

It depends, and private run prisons can be terrible. I hear the private run prisons here in Australia are terrible as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 10:30 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
If I owned a private prison, I'd do everything possible to make sure the inmates are angry and discontented and unruly. Time off for good behavior would be very bad for my greedy profits, the only reason I invested in prisons. I'd be so angry seeing profits walk down the street, I'd make sure nobody "good behaved".

Last edited by arr430; 10-17-2022 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-18-2022, 05:54 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
If I owned a private prison, I'd do everything possible to make sure the inmates are angry and discontented and unruly. Time off for good behavior would be very bad for my greedy profits, the only reason I invested in prisons. I'd be so angry seeing profits walk down the street, I'd make sure nobody "good behaved".
Prisons are usually the subject of regular inspections, and private companies can have their contracts cancelled if prisons do not meet requirements.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Prisons are usually the subject of regular inspections, and private companies can have their contracts cancelled if prisons do not meet requirements.
Everything "investigated" is my word against a guy doing 10-20, with no third witness. And that's billlable years, at $50,000 a year. That's 50% higher than the annual cost of having a kid in college. For a sociopathic bully guard, meeting requirements means polishing the boots he kicks inmates with.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Everything "investigated" is my word against a guy doing 10-20, with no third witness. And that's billlable years, at $50,000 a year. That's 50% higher than the annual cost of having a kid in college. For a sociopathic bully guard, meeting requirements means polishing the boots he kicks inmates with.
Not really.

Countries such as the UK have the HM Prison Inspectorate, who can turn up unannounced and will talk to prisoners and staff, including those in solitary.

HMP Inspectorate are not really concerned with what some private company has to say, and they have a lot of powers.

Not only do HM Inspection teams write detailed regular reports, but they also write report on other prison issues.

There are only around 14 private prisons in the UK, however private companies such as Serco, G4S and Sodexo have a history of being fined for not reaching required standards or having contracts scrapped, and given back to the public sector, which is where prisons belong.

So you would just lose money through fines or lose contracts in such circumstances, whilst and physical abuse against prisoners or fraud in relation to contracts would simply result in the company in question losing the contract, as well as possible criminal proceedings against those responsible for any crimes.

HM Prison Inspectorate - GOV.UK

HMP Birmingham: G4S loses permanent contract - BBC News (2019)

G4S loses Wolds prison contract - BBC News (2012)

Prison giant Serco hands £4million back to government since 2010 for repeatedly failing to meet standards - Daily Mirror (2018)

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-18-2022 at 09:00 AM..

Old 10-18-2022, 08:45 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,320,683 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l554kV12Wuo

Old 10-18-2022, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Not really.

Countries such as the UK have the HM Prison Inspectorate, who can turn up unannounced and will talk to prisoners and staff, including those in solitary.

HMP Inspectorate are not really concerned with what some private company has to say, and they have a lot of powers.

Not only do HM Inspection teams write detailed regular reports, but they also write report on other prison issues.

There are only around 14 private prisons in the UK, however private companies such as Serco, G4S and Sodexo have a history of being fined for not reaching required standards or having contracts scrapped, and given back to the public sector, which is where prisons belong.
)
You are completely missing my entire point. Time off for good behavior loses revenue. So, reduce
the "risk" of good behavior, without breaking any roles. Every school bully knowa how to do that.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
You are completely missing my entire point. Time off for good behavior loses revenue. So, reduce
the "risk" of good behavior, without breaking any roles. Every school bully knowa how to do that.
Stopping some one from getting time off for good behaviour wouldn't be acceptable and prisoners would merely report the situation to the prison inspectorate or take legal action.

The probation service and prison social workers are involved in the release of prisoners and would object.

Whilst the prison inspectorate themselves would be looking at the statistics and questioning why so many prisoners were failing to get time off.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:54 PM

383 posts, read 181,932 times
It's debatable whether we even really are a part of the developed world at this point, but... Japan has death penalty, and makes it a "secret" when those on death row will die. The families aren't even told about it until well after the fact. Singapore also has some... questionable practices (Michael Fay)

Old 10-19-2022, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Whilst the prison inspectorate themselves would be looking at the statistics and questioning why so many prisoners were failing to get time off.
OK. the statistics. Got any? Time off sentence for good behavior, private vs. government. If there's a discrepancy, which would you correct.

The very fact that the US even HAS capital punishment screams a loud message about America's philosophy on "punishment", the chief goal of the judicial process.

Poll after poll reveal that the American people heavily favor "punishment" as the outcome of justice. True to the spirit of democracy, they get the "tough on crime" outcome they elect. Governors have sweeping power to commute or otherwise reduce sentences. None ever do.

Last edited by arr430; 10-19-2022 at 05:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World