Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 AM

35 posts, read 116,576 times

Advertisements

List your "coolest" skylines in the world.

Coolest doesn't refer to best or beautiful.
It refers to cool.

Cool skylines are something like Techno.
With many neon lights, great sunsets, cars, automobiles,
techno musics, raps, and other stuff that suits the skyline.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Here are my top 5.
5. Shanghai
Shanghai's light are amazingly bright. Like in a video game?
I've seen Shanghai on TV a lot, and some buildings are computerized.
The neon lights are fantastic.
4. Singapore
Singapore is a cool city. Great neon lights and landscape. The buildings are great in shape. The red dot lights are what makes it cool.
What is it missing? Cars and mobiles...

3. Hong Kong
Although Hong Kong is the best skyline in the world, I think it is top 3 for coolest. The buildings being computerized. Fireworks and lasers shooting out of the buildings every night. Buildings changing colors.
Hong Kong should really be here.

2. Tokyo
Tokyo is a city of technology. Tokyo Tower in red is very suitable.
Almost every building has a helipad to land on. No wonder why there are so many red dot lights! Helicopters fly everywhere in Tokyo! That is what make it a cool skyline.

1. Los Angeles
If you're saying Los Angeles shouldn't be here, YOU are joking yourself.
There are just too many reasons why LA is here.
Car advertisements are always in Los Angeles.
Helicopters landing on top of buildings. Red dotted lights are lit everywhere. Neon lights are everywhere. Staples Center have beams of lights shooting into the sky. Cars are surrounding Downtown LA.
The sunset in Los Angeles is incredible. The lights in Los Angeles really make it look techno.
No cities in the world is cooler than Los Angeles. That is my opinion.
Just look at this picture.

This is really what a techno/cool skyline is.
And watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIOq9q_ea5c

The video explains what a "cool/techno" skyline really is.

Honorable:
Seoul
Shenzhen
Houston
Seattle
Dubai

Last edited by Luckypet4747; 03-21-2009 at 12:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 12:58 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I'd take miami over LA

Old 03-21-2009, 07:49 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times
I'd take about 30 cities over L.A.

My Coolest Top 5:

1. Hong Kong

Hong Kong has the best skyline in the world. Every skyscraper is modern and unique, and each ones complements the next. Its truly spectacular. The water gives the skyline that extra something.

2. Chicago, IL, U.S.A.

My favorite U.S. skyline. Chicago pioneered the skyscraper and I think the balance between modern, glassy buildings and dark, boxy buildings is beautiful. This balance will only improve as it seems supertalls are being proposed every few months in Chicago, including the 2000 ft. tall "Spire."

3. Shanghai, China

Another sophisticated China skyline. There isn't the density present as is in other skyline cities, but the few skyscrapers it has are all unique in their own way, and each would easily be a favorite if placed by itself in any other city.

4. Singapore, Singapore

As you can tell by now, I love a skyline on the water. It just makes the view that much better. Singapore doesn't have the flashy colors or unique designs as other cities, but the placement of each building makes the skyline seem complete.

5. New York City, New York, U.S.A.

Ahhh, New York. Many people on this forum would debate that it has the best skyline in the world. Opinions are opinions, are opinions. But, density does not make a skyline great. The Brooklyn Bridge, The Chrysler Building, and maybe even The Empire State alone put this as my #5. NYC is just a dense forest of gray rectangles if you ask me. Its not very original at all. The new WTC plans look promising though...

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-21-2009 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Do not post copyrighted images

Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
la does not deserve to be in the top 5

Old 04-29-2009, 07:20 PM

51 posts, read 98,179 times
LA does not deserve to be in the top 50. Who are you kidding?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Maybe not the coolest, but Pittsburgh has a surprisingly awesome skyline. It's small, but dense and set in both a wonderful natural (the confluence of two rivers) and artificial (abutted by numerous bridges) setting.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:30 AM

455 posts, read 1,018,332 times
As far as 'cool', I don't think LA deserves any mention. Here are a few of my favorites, based on an arbitrary 'cool' factor:

1. Hong Kong - Absolutely amazing skyline, with mountain backdrop. So colorful. If you have seen the light show at night, you know why HK has the coolest skyline.

2. Shanghai, China - I just love that weird orb looking building. I don't even know what it's called, but it's cool :P

3. Chicago, USA - At night, this skyline is absolutely gorgeous. Very colorful as well. It's great being in Grant Park in the middle of summer enveloped by all the beautiful buildings.

4. Sydney, Australia - Not typically ranked very high in terms of skylines, but I love it. With the Harbour Bridge, Sky Tower, and Opera House, it is just beautiful. Loved spending nights strolling Darling Harbour looking up at that great city.

5. New York, USA - It's cool to me, mostly just because I love the city. The skyline is dense, but probably lacks a lot of architecture that could objectively be considered 'cool'. The Brooklyn Bridge, 30 Rock, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, and just the importance of the city to the world is why I think it's cool.

Unlikely Pick - Athens, Greece - True, there isn't much of a skyline at all, as they can't build buildings above a certain level due to earthquakes, but I just absolutely love the Acropolis as the backdrop to this city. So much history intertwined with modernity, it is just 'cool' to me.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 PM

50 posts, read 195,669 times
LOL @ Los Angeles being #1....who are you kidding?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:05 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
I like how in a forum where arguments are rampant, the one thing that everyone here agrees on is that L.A. doesn't deserve to be rated at the number 1 skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World