Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the world's best skyline?
Chicago 64 19.51%
Dubai 19 5.79%
Hong Kong 120 36.59%
New York City 107 32.62%
Shanghai 11 3.35%
Tokyo 7 2.13%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:32 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,877,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
I picked Dubai.

NYC comes second for the architecture and the history of NYC's skyline
drone recluse
Dubai Skyline is really filling in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 PM

882 posts, read 2,253,553 times
Found this thread with great, i mean stunning, Chicago pics.
CHICAGO: All This and Brains Too - SkyscraperPage Forum

I seriously laugh at anyone who thinks that Chicago is ranked any less than 2nd best in the country.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 PM

196 posts, read 459,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
I dont even think Dubai should be on this list. I will give HK a slight edge over NYC.
Why shouldn't Dubai be on the list? It has one of the largest, tallest, and most rapidly growing skylines in the entire world. In about 5 years, it will probably be number one.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,806,186 times
If i could only see the silhouettes of Dubai, i might think it has a great skyline. But when you see the actual designs, its quite appalling to me. I like the Burj Kalifa and building's they had before and around 2000, but other than that, the skyline looks way too tacky and not graceful in any sense. It's very messy. if they continue building and changing the styles up much more than they are now, maybe it can be nice one day, although it seems they are in serious trouble atm.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,862,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
If i could only see the silhouettes of Dubai, i might think it has a great skyline. But when you see the actual designs, its quite appalling to me. I like the Burj Kalifa and building's they had before and around 2000, but other than that, the skyline looks way too tacky and not graceful in any sense. It's very messy. if they continue building and changing the styles up much more than they are now, maybe it can be nice one day, although it seems they are in serious trouble atm.
Could not have said it better.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,886,071 times
San Francisco?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 AM

145 posts, read 688,808 times
very close between new york and Hong Kong. but im giving the edge to new york because of the class density and overall architecture. lots of Hong Kongs buildings look same same to me of course with exceptions. Chicago is 3rd because of its height but it still needs a few more buildings its hard for it to compete against cities with 4000+ skyscrapers when it only has around 1300. next i guess would be shanghai cuz of its size but it really loses points to the pollution and the ghetto feel of the overall city. then i give it to my town Seattle partly bias partly for the natural setting. once the world trade center site is done im sure new york will be a clear winner and chicago may increase if they get that spire up anytime soon.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:42 AM

6,962 posts, read 20,601,981 times
Shanghai's is as good as NYC & HK. surprised it got so few votes..

http://www.oranga.com/pics1/s200904082377bb.jpg

Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 AM

32,214 posts, read 34,983,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not a particularly big fan of the individual buildings in Hong Kong, but it does have an impressive skyline because of its density, size, shape, and setting.
D'accord. I feel the same way.

I've never been to Hong Kong, so I can't make a fair judgment between it and NYC. I've always felt that NYC was most impressive from the FDR. You can drive for 25-30 minutes and see nothing but skyscrapers. That drives also affords you the ability to appreciate the density of the New York skyline. If you try to view NYC from Jersey or the Brooklyn Bridge, there are just too many buildings that get in the way of other tall buildings. From the FDR, it seems, you see a lot of buildings that you otherwise would not realize were there.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 PM

22 posts, read 66,785 times
To me, there is nothing that compares to Chicago's skyline. It has the history (world's first skyscraper), the height (Sears Tower, Hancock, Aon), and the aesthetic appeal. It's not too dense or too sparce and its not too modern or old. Chicago strikes the perfect balance and you can get a good view from so many different angles. I love NYC architecture, but the skyline is totally unimpressive. Its so dense and large, you can't take much of it in from any given angle. I think that's a problem with a lot of cities. It's not that there's anything wrong with the architecture, it just has a lot to do with how it's laid out. That's a huge deal when it comes to skylines, I would say it's as or even more important than height. Hong Kong has that problem, although not as bad as NY.

Check out these pics of Chicago and tell me that anything else compares.

Images removed by Moderator due to copyright issues. Please read the room sticky for photo posting guidelines: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

I do find it interesting that Chicago is so often placed second or third because of the overall quality and beauty of the skyline, while HK and NY are often placed first or second because of the shear amount of tall and super tall buildings.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-19-2010 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World