Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 04:19 AM

16 posts, read 55,931 times

Advertisements

SYDNEY vs. LOS ANGELES

- which offers the nicest way of life (welcoming/friendly people, diversity, weather, activities, food, culture in general...)
- which offers the best means to grow a world sized business
- which country (AU/USA) is the easiest to get in to settle there definitively? (I'm French)
- Which one do you prefer? why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 PM

238 posts, read 863,615 times
I've lived exclusively in the western U.S. and can say with a great degree of certainty that L.A. is the proverbial armpit of all that is known as "American" to the world. Take that for what it is, just one opinion. That said If your "world sized business" is the next TMZ dot com or some other nonsense L.A. might just be the place for you.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:48 AM

26 posts, read 112,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1212 View Post

SYDNEY vs. LOS ANGELES

- which offers the nicest way of life (welcoming/friendly people, diversity, weather, activities, food, culture in general...)
- which offers the best means to grow a world sized business
- which country (AU/USA) is the easiest to get in to settle there definitively? (I'm French)
- Which one do you prefer? why?
- which offers the nicest way of life (welcoming/friendly people [tie]
- diversity [LA]
- weather [Sydney - less smog]
- activities [tie]
- food [Sydney]
- culture in general...) [Sydney]

- which offers the best means to grow a world sized business [LA hands down: much larger market, easier access to capital]

- which country (AU/USA) is the easiest to get in to settle there definitively? (I'm French) [If you have the capital for your business already and can qualify for an entrepreneur-class visa, they're tied. On a skills basis, Australia is probably a little easier up to age 45 (age cutoff for skills-based visa), but neither country is exactly easy to get into without an employer sponsor.]

- Which one do you prefer? why? [Tie, given my own circumstances. But if I was looking to build a business, the choice would have to be LA.]

Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Funny.. many Aussies pan Sydney as blah once you get out of the harbour area and I have had friends come from the US who were not impressed with Sydney. I much prefer Melbourne, but that is not being debated. This is IMO. As a dual Aussie-US national, I'd chose LA. Bigger market. People who say it lacks culture are wrong.. there is plenty of culture in LA. LA has more of a cultural mix. Market for business is larger. And there are good and bad neighborhoods in LA, much like Sydney. Both are car cities (Sydney outside the central core). From LA you can fly direct to Paris and its easy to get to other parts of the US. As much as I love Oz and my vegemite, I'd say LA. Now if the choice was MEL or LA.. could be a different story, but that's my bias.

And everyone has personal bias.. you have to figure things out for yourself, unfortunately.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 AM

26 posts, read 112,333 times
I'd be curious to hear more about which aspects of a desire to build a world-class business can't be met in France (or more generally, in countries that are readily accessible to a French national), and why LA and Sydney are the two target cities on the short list.

There's no edge (negative connotation) to that curiosity, BTW. I do realize that nick1212 will not want to present his business plan on an open forum. And LA and Sydney are eminently reasonable choices as cities to launch businesses. But I'd still like to hear some of the thinking behind the thesis of this thread; almost any further detail would be illuminating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World