Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:59 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeinscotland View Post
Most of the world sees Americans as arrogant. They proclaim the US is the greatest country in the world - no debate. It is stated as a fact not as an opinion. Most Americans assume that everyone in the world wants to live there, which is not true.
Yes, it doesn't help matters when presidential candidates are forever saying, in their speeches: the greatest country on earth, the United States of America.

Of course, the media would never focus on those snickering or shaking their heads in denial, in the audience, or focusing on members of the homeless population of our cities. Or those happening to be watching it from a foreign country who are laughing hysterically or contemplating launching a lawsuit.

Yes, I do believe most Americans are arrogant and falsely assume everyone in the world wants to live here. Partly explained, due to the low percentage of passport holders in this country, among the least adventuresome travelers in the world, with little to compare our country to any other country.

And the ones who do make it over here? Look into their eyes. Their eyes are forever lit up with green dollar signs. How embarrassing, that that's virtually the only type of people we can attract here for immigrants! Speaks volumes about this country.

Last edited by tijlover; 10-30-2009 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: edit a line

Old 10-30-2009, 01:33 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
You don't view Americans the way the rest of the world does. Most of the world sees Americans as arrogant. They proclaim the US is the greatest country in the world - no debate. It is stated as a fact not as an opinion. Most Americans assume that everyone in the world wants to live there, which is not true.

Humble? Nope. Not in the view of the rest of the world.

Usually the reply to this is 'we don't care what the rest of the world thinks, they're just jealous', which proves the point.
While there are many in America that have this attitude, I also find it's a stereotype that is spread by people among other countries, especially throughout Europe who have spent 1 week at a budget hotel in 1 US city or who have not even been here at all. They might meet an American tourist in their home town who fits the arrogant stereotype associated with Americans and conclude from that one experience, yep 99% of Americans are arrogant bastards who don't care about the rest of the world.

I'm very well traveled and I lived in another country for the experience (Australia). From my experience, what I like about Americans are...they aren't so uptight and judgmental when it comes to these issues. An example: A Dutch tourist visits America and he or she asks, what's the Capital of the United States? Most Americans will respond as if they asked any other question. Most don't expect an international tourist to know or wouldn't blame them if they didn't know. If an American were to travel to France and asked the same question, I'm sure the majority of the responses would be very negative and judgmental. "How can you not know what our capital is, you stupid ignorant American."

My best friend moved here from South Africa and he complains to our American friends and just random Americans about how we lack morals and this and that...if he were to move to Australia and say those things, I'm sure within a year he would have been punched, but many here joke about it and laugh when he says these things.

This is just from my experience. Like I said, I do think it's a problem that many Americans have (mostly from small towns who don't receive many international residents or tourists and people in the lower-class who can't afford to travel or educate themselves), but it sounds just as bad to me when I hear someone from Spain or Italy (examples) say Americans are arrogant people who don't know anything about the world. They base this off television (yes me know the accuracy of television), random statistics such as 70% of college students couldn't find Kuwait on a map (I never took that quiz and I'm a college student) and simply based on stereotypes.

It's human nature to bring down "the man." I'm not saying America is the best country. I think every country has something great to offer and by no means do I think America is flawless. There is no "best country", but I see this all the time. It could be the richest person or the largest company. Because they are in the media etc, people seem to focus on bringing down "the man." People say Bill Gates is greedy, he's that and this, yet they don't give him credit for the accomplishments and contributions he's made to the rest of the world. They focus on the negative and it spreads from there and now you got people who don't even know his history spreading rumors that he's this horrible person. Look at Wal-Mart, people love to talk about how much they hate Wal-Mart, but than you see that same person at mid-night buying some impulse item because every other store is closed. America has its fair share of problems, but America has done a lot of good things and so have Americans. American citizens last time I checked donate the most money to the needy, they have the most charity programs, they have made great discoveries in medicine. That's why it frustrates me when someone simply says, "Americans are arrogant and ignorant people". If the majority of Americans were like this, it wouldn't be where it is today. I hope these examples help make sense of my argument.

Making such a statement makes you (speaking generally) no better than an American who says, "they are just jealous because we are the best". No difference at all!

Last edited by Jonotastic; 10-30-2009 at 01:52 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 01:52 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
You don't view Americans the way the rest of the world does. Most of the world sees Americans as arrogant. They proclaim the US is the greatest country in the world - no debate. It is stated as a fact not as an opinion. Most Americans assume that everyone in the world wants to live there, which is not true.

Humble? Nope. Not in the view of the rest of the world.

Usually the reply to this is 'we don't care what the rest of the world thinks, they're just jealous', which proves the point.
Actually, your post is an assumption in itself.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
While there are many in America that have this attitude, I also find it's a stereotype that is spread by people among other countries, especially throughout Europe who have spent 1 week at a budget hotel in 1 US city or who have not even been here at all. They might meet an American tourist in their home town who fits the arrogant stereotype associated with Americans and conclude from that one experience, yep 99% of Americans are arrogant bastards who don't care about the rest of the world....
Unfortunately this "stereotype" is strongly reenforced by the American television programs, films and news programs, which are widely available in Europe, at least.

It is an image that America sends abroad of itself.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:48 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,547 times
It is understandable that many Americans are arrogant as we were trained that way. I was brought up worshipping our flag every morning from the time I was 6. If it's drilled into you over and over how lucky you are to live in the greatest country in the world, you believe it.

I was a blind patriot myself until I moved abroad. Now I'm patriotic but with my eyes wide open.

One thing that was mentioned was that so few Americans have passports and people in other countries view that as arrogant. They don't realize the many reasons this may be true - Americans get less vacation time than any other country. If you only get 2 weeks a year why would you spend so much time in transit and getting used to jet lag? Also, many don't realize just how big and diverse the US is. There are many different climates and cultures to enjoy in the US and it's cheaper than having to convert a weak dollar to pounds of euros, etc.

I base my opinion that many see Americans arrogant on my experiences living in other countries and listening to European news and talking to people. Yes, they are stereotyping, but Americans are guilty of that as well.

BTW, I've heard many comments from foreigners about how surprised they were when they visited America to find how friendly and helpful Americans are.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:23 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,357 times
I don't think Americans are particularly arrogant. I think Europeans are probably as much arrogant. Yes, we're very self-critical too, but when it comes down to comparing ourselves with Americans, our arrogance is obvious. We feel proud because we (think) we're smarter, more sophisticated, more enlightened, less violent, less prejudiced and essentially better.

The thing that strikes me most about American people is the patriotic feeling. I must confess it makes me a bit uncomfortable when national symbols of any kind are displayed in my country. I have never been able to understand patriotism and I can't see a justification for all the flag-worshipping yankinscotland was alluding to. It may be European-specific guilt (patriotism and national sentiment have provided an excuse for quite a few bad things over here) or just that I'm not wired that way, but it's probably the only thing I find not arrogant but unlikeable about the US.

I'm only giving my own view, of course. Many Europeans, I'm sure, are patriotic.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,695 times
Quote:
We feel proud because we (think) we're smarter, more sophisticated, more enlightened, less violent, less prejudiced and essentially better.
It's because far too many are arrogant in an 'american' way and flavor that it's noticeable as the antithesis of smart, sophisticated, enlightened, less violent, less prejudiced or essentially better. uh, the average american is not sophisticated or enlightened or smarter especially. if many believe this, it would be rather funny.

When who do not possess these qualities convey they themselves and others are "essentially" better by virtue of living in america; that is insulting, stretching the truth, dishonest and it will be met with some contempt. It's basically saying that other countries do not have people that have good qualities in comparison to america which of course is immature to think this way because thinking people know it's the few who are the inventors, who make breakthroughs in research etc not the general masses.

that's why there is a difference between pride and arrogance and important to have a more level-headed realistic view or approach.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 AM

I have had many discussions online and can't count the number of times I've read Americans make the assumption that the US is the only country in the world where there is freedom of speech or freedom in general.

On the other side regarding stereotyping, I've heard foreigners who assume that ALL Americans own guns. I surprised a Dutch woman when I told that neither I or anyone my family, has ever owned a gun and that I couldn't think of anyone I knew who owned a gun.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:16 AM

Is there any country in the world that is so over-the-top with patriotism? I mean, giant flags everywhere, on every vehicle, worked into the outdoor xmas lights, etc etc. This blind patriotism scares people in many countries.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Is there any country in the world that is so over-the-top with patriotism? I mean, giant flags everywhere, on every vehicle, worked into the outdoor xmas lights, etc etc. This blind patriotism scares people in many countries.
That's because the last time people were patriotic in Europe, 100 million people were raped, enslaved, and genocided.
Our experience is that when we are patriotic, people are freed from being raped, enslaved, and genocided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World