Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM

16 posts, read 31,119 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I want to move out of the US. Basically anywhere with better healthcare, education, social programs.. and so forth. We are both 25, we both have degrees and both have around 1.5 yrs of experience in our respective fields. My degree is in Electrical/Computer Engineering and my husband's is in IT. We both speak English/Spanish and are willing to learn new language(s). As fas as climate goes, anything with milder winters than Milwaukee, WI (where we currently reside) is fine with us. Any ideas where this place might be? and how to go about to get there? We would like to move before my daughter starts school, she's two right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,389 times
England or Spain are not bad choices - you can find info on the Uk here UK Border Agency | Working in the UK Only one of you would need to qualify for a work visa - the other can come over on a work visa holder's dependant's visa. You would also need a dependant's visa for your daughter. For info on other countries, start at their embassy websites.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,323,402 times
I must say that I wouldn't choose any country I've never been to. You need to be sure about the place before going. It's important to make sure there aren't things you won't like about the place.
Plus, even if you're willing to learn a new language, don't forget you'll have to be fluent enough when you get there! Settling in a new country is not easy, there are lots of things to deal with on arrival - and of course, you'll need it to work, too!
If I were you, I would make a list of countries you both find appealling, then I would check if they provide all the things you listed, and after choosing one I would try to go there so see for myself (unlkess you've already been there of course).
Good luck! Living abroad is a great experience - you just need to be well prepared and sure about your choice!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicachac View Post
Hi, my husband and I want to move out of the US. Basically anywhere with better healthcare, education, social programs.. and so forth. We are both 25, we both have degrees and both have around 1.5 yrs of experience in our respective fields. My degree is in Electrical/Computer Engineering and my husband's is in IT. We both speak English/Spanish and are willing to learn new language(s). As fas as climate goes, anything with milder winters than Milwaukee, WI (where we currently reside) is fine with us. Any ideas where this place might be? and how to go about to get there? We would like to move before my daughter starts school, she's two right now.

What do you mean by "we speak spasnish"? Can't tell you how many High School grads I've seen telling me they "speak" XYZ after one semster of that language in High School I'm just asking, since the U.K. would obviously the better choice then.

I would wait several years. I don't think you'll get a visa due to the economy. They are trying to put their people to work first.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 PM

UK and Spain sound great. What I mean when I say that we speak Spanish is that we were raised in Mexico until around 8 and 10, respectively. And we both have not stopped using Spanish since. I had French in HS and I would never consider myself being able to speak French! The possibilities of going there before we apply for visas are quite low. We adapt rather well, we moved from Texas to Wisconsin and really enjoyed the experience even with the hardships associated with it. But I'll start by looking at the embassies of UK and Spain. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 PM

oh and when I mean we are open to learn a language, I mean before we move!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 PM

I also like to add that my husband could potentially take his job with him anywhere. So I don't know if that helps. Sorry about the multiple posts.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM

68 posts, read 92,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicachac View Post

Don't go to europe, complete waste of time, don't go to australia too expensive.

Besides Canada there is no country that even comes close to usa.

Now the only other place I can think of is somewhere like mexico city or panama, or even costa rica. Trust me I tried the whole europe route, you will pay more and get less. Your better off just moving to somewhere that you can use your expertise to get you lots of relative income so you can buy good healthcare.

Like you can move to norway, where I am right now, but it is the same latitude as alaska, you will have to learn norwegian and freeze.

all the top schools are in america, your better off just moving into a nice upscale sub-urb with good schools. honeslty there are few good schools in europe as the private schools are just places where the rich stick there dumb kids to buy degrees and the public schools are like everywhere else.

Your better off trying to resolve your healthcare problems in usa, or maybe switching states or possible move to canada, but europe, you will not have a good life

Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,332,556 times
PM me if you are interested in exploring an opportunity, or two, in Malaysia.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmess View Post
Don't go to europe, complete waste of time, don't go to australia too expensive.

Besides Canada there is no country that even comes close to usa.

Now the only other place I can think of is somewhere like mexico city or panama, or even costa rica. Trust me I tried the whole europe route, you will pay more and get less. Your better off just moving to somewhere that you can use your expertise to get you lots of relative income so you can buy good healthcare.

Like you can move to norway, where I am right now, but it is the same latitude as alaska, you will have to learn norwegian and freeze.

all the top schools are in america, your better off just moving into a nice upscale sub-urb with good schools. honeslty there are few good schools in europe as the private schools are just places where the rich stick there dumb kids to buy degrees and the public schools are like everywhere else.

Your better off trying to resolve your healthcare problems in usa, or maybe switching states or possible move to canada, but europe, you will not have a good life
I understand that Europe is not for everyone. I would definitely consider moving to Mexico City, Panama, Costa Rica or anywhere in Latin America. The only setback would be finding a job in those places. For my career there seems to be more opportunities in Europe/Canada/Australia and yes, here in the US (even though I have been trying to find a job here for 8 months without success).

I really dislike suburbs and would not like to live in a suburb setting. One of the things that I like about Milwaukee is that I can be completely car free without too much trouble, I would not like to give that up.

The healthcare problems in the US are too deep for me to try to solve them. I rather wait, then have to go bankrupt if some horrible illness happens to my family (yes, I have healthcare....but it hardly covers anything). I would definitely consider Canada, but from what I've looked into you have to be in very specialized fields for them to even consider giving you a visa. I have looked at the fields and we would not qualify.

Thanks for your input though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World